*2013 NFC North Trash Talk Thread™ ® --> Lions Hire Jim Caldwell as Head Coach.

Mike McCarthy: I view DuJuan Harris as our starting running back

Posted by Josh Alper on August 8, 2013, 2:39 PM EDT

Outside of the hamstring injury that kept him out of practice earlier this week, there’s been nothing but positive news about rookie running back Eddie Lacy coming out of Packers camp this summer.

That would seem to make him the likeliest candidate to grab the starting job this season and coach Mike McCarthy said Thursday that he considers one of the team’s running backs to be the team’s starter. It’s not Lacy, though.

It’s DuJuan Harris, who has yet to practice in camp this summer after landing on the PUP list to start camp because of a knee injury. Harris also had a cyst removed from his lungs this offseason, which kept him out of offseason work. His absence has left McCarthy eager to see what Harris can do.

“I’m excited to see when DuJuan Harris comes back, because I view him as our starter,” McCarthy said, via Tom Pelissero of USA Today. “I want him to get back in there and earn it like he did all of last year. He made an impact in our offense.”

This may just be a case of a starter — Harris started both playoff games — not losing his job because of injury or one of McCarthy making sure that Lacy doesn’t let all the rave reviews go to his head, but we can’t know that until we see how he’s integrated into the offense once he’s healthy. That’s expected to be sometime in the next two weeks, a period that Lacy could use to make it even harder to go back to Harris.

Vikings/Texans tonight. Preseason Game #1!

Jamil Farmer ‏@JFarmerUTSN
Per @Andrew_Krammer @Vikings Jared Allen, Desmond Bishop, Xavier Rhodes, AJ Jefferson are out tonight and 99% sure AP sits. #UTSN

Don't know if I'll be watching live, but here's what I'm looking for:

-How Erin Henderson performs (during the limited time he plays) at MLB.
-Christian Ponder with a scoring drive.
-One eye popping play from the young kid Cordarelle Patterson.
-Cassel. I want to see how his skillset compliments our personnel in comparison to Ponder.
-How many times the broadcast goes live to Greg Jennings doing a sideline report... concerning nothing about the Vikings.
-How long everybody plays sort of is a true teller of what Leslie Frazier and the rest of the staff is evaluating.

Can't watch over here, so I'll catch the replay tomorrow. Looking for a lot of the same things you are JP.

How sweet would it be for Greg Jennings to become a locker room distraction for the Vikes.
pimp.gif

Its sad the that the rookie d ends already have forced as many turnovers as the starting d ends forced all of last year including preseason :smh:

A Packer fan wanting to see Greg end up in the trainers room now? Uhhhh :lol:

Matt Cassel had a few hideous throws, one ending in a pick. Played decent though for the most part. Feet were extremely choppy at times, but I liked some of his improvisations.

Ponder playing just 2 plays was ridiculous. What's the point? What can you absorb from that despite any result of those two plays? Don't get it.

Based on being better at everything that has to do with being the quarterback of an Nfl team.

Jay culter had a historic level of production from his defense and missed the playoffs

My mind is kinda blown on why y'all defend him so much.

Explain the Bears record without him if he was so trash. And please tell me what makes him better because you still haven't posted it.

90 percent of QBs are douchebags bro. :lol:

Ponder isn't going to make it this season. I think Cassel gets the starting job by week 5 ish.

Ponder should do just fine.

And JP...My guess is that the Vikings (most teams) have some serious evaluations to do regarding the back end of their depth chart. Getting those evaluations done early can allow them to cut loose a chunk of the roster who they now know for sure, won't be apaft of the 53.

We should see more of Ponder and the first team next week.

i was impress with Patterson. He really believe he is going to take Jerome Simpson spot. Also i like what i seen from Micheal Mauti.

Not much we can take in from preseason game #1, but Patterson looked like a NFL player in the body and quickness-wise.

He's just much, much bigger than I anticipated. Nice to see him in some game action, but I want to see him against more defensive starters than the backups that we saw him receive a lot of snaps against.

Based on being better at everything that has to do with being the quarterback of an Nfl team.

Jay culter had a historic level of production from his defense and missed the playoffs

My mind is kinda blown on why y'all defend him so much.

Explain the Bears record without him if he was so trash. And please tell me what makes him better because you still haven't posted it.

90 percent of QBs are douchebags bro. :lol:

I didn't say or imply he was a bad quarterback, he's mediocre.

The backup QBs the Bears have had in recent years have been the worst in the NFL though.

Aaron Rodgers must not be that good either since the Packers haven't lost in games he hasn't played in in the last two years.

May have had the worst Lambeau experience of all time. Got free tickets late, hit rush hour in Milwaukee, construction....everywhere, arrived with 3 minutes to go in 2nd quarter, Harrell gets booed off the field, didn't score a point. Spent maybe an hour and 15 minutes there, think I spent more time peeing than watching the game.

Liked what I saw from Vince Young from the little playing time he had. Once he replaced Harrell the entire mood and pace of the offense shifted. Got some first downs right away, whereas Harrell was missing open players by 5 yards hence the booage of the fans. Young was still extending plays with his legs and has zip on his ball. Think its clear he'll be the back up. Biggest thing I noticed was he took the field with a ton of confidence. Even though its pre-season and he was playing scrubs (except Matheau) he had the mannerisms of someone who's been there before and did the most he could considering hes been here less than a week. Given the confidence factor, once he gets the offense down I think he will be capable of winning a game if Rodgers were to miss a week or two for whatever reason. He still needs more reps to get a better judgement. Literally the only thing I can take from this game is that Young appears to have confidence and that its probably cause he's been brainwashed in his 5 days in Green Bay.

Last edited:
Willie Young again looking good in the preseason, dude needs to bring it during the regular season or he'll get lost in the shuffle with all the quality d-linemen the Lions have. Like what I saw from the new additions of Quin and Ziggy in limited snaps, still not sold on our LB's other then Tulloch tho.

Willie Young again looking good in the preseason, dude needs to bring it during the regular season or he'll get lost in the shuffle with all the quality d-linemen the Lions have. Like what I saw from the new additions of Quin and Ziggy in limited snaps, still not sold on our LB's other then Tulloch tho.

Agreed 100%. Willie Young has been solid since he has been on the team but last year imo didn't get enough playing time behind a old and washed up veteran. I have been pretty high on him and think that if he got the chance he could actually be a solid starter imo. Wouldn't mind seeing him opposite of Ziggy.

As for the LB's, that has to be a focus next year in the draft. I have no idea how they resigned DeAndre Levy for 3 years. Dude is horrible and I have been saying it for years. No idea what the coaches see in him. Another thing that I question is Ronnell Lewis and the way they are handling him. He played 4 years at Oklahoma as a LB, now the Lions are trying to put him at DE where we are stacked with talent. We are struggling at depth at outside LB, I have no idea why they don't give him a shot to play there seeing as that is where he played in college.

I finally watched the replay on NFL Network.

Stafford looked horrible.

Shaun Hill is better than any quarterback on the Vikings.

The D-Line is going to cook.

The LBs are maybe the worst the in the league :smh: Those dudes were FOOD over the middle. :smh:

Joique Bell is the 2nd best HB on the roster.

Secondary is going to be much better.

Man if Vince Young ever takes the field against the Lions I'd have some hard decisions to make as far as who I'm rooting for.

Last edited:

:rofl:

Okay.

Grantland's Bill Barnwell previewed the 2013 Vikes season.... good read. Just going to post the link though, since there are a decent amount of charts that he has that he refers to and they don't show up when I paste the article.

Here you go.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9559809/bill-barnwell-puts-2013-minnesota-vikings-numbers-test

Something I'd love to highlight from the article in response to SneakerPro's comment though...

One more stat for Ponder and then I'll move on. Third-and-long in reasonably close (two-score) situations is a good stat to see what a quarterback does when he has to throw. It's not by any means foolproof, but it gives you a good idea of what a quarterback did when he had no threat of a running play around him. Working with third-and-7 or more as the definition, Ponder faced 75 such downs last year and converted 24 of them for first downs, a 32 percent rate that was seventh-best in the league. Better than you thought, right? (The six starting quarterbacks ahead of him: Ben Roethlisberger (leading the league at 36 percent), Andrew Luck, Drew Brees, the combined 49ers quarterback duo, Matt Ryan, and Aaron Rodgers. Not bad.)

I might have missed Shaun Hill's name ahead of him. Correct me if that's the case.

Last edited:

:rofl:

Okay.

Grantland's Bill Barnwell previewed the 2013 Vikes season.... good read. Just going to post the link though, since there are a decent amount of charts that he has that he refers to and they don't show up when I paste the article.

Here you go.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9559809/bill-barnwell-puts-2013-minnesota-vikings-numbers-test

Something I'd love to highlight from the article in response to SneakerPro's comment though...

One more stat for Ponder and then I'll move on. Third-and-long in reasonably close (two-score) situations is a good stat to see what a quarterback does when he has to throw. It's not by any means foolproof, but it gives you a good idea of what a quarterback did when he had no threat of a running play around him. Working with third-and-7 or more as the definition, Ponder faced 75 such downs last year and converted 24 of them for first downs, a 32 percent rate that was seventh-best in the league. Better than you thought, right? (The six starting quarterbacks ahead of him: Ben Roethlisberger (leading the league at 36 percent), Andrew Luck, Drew Brees, the combined 49ers quarterback duo, Matt Ryan, and Aaron Rodgers. Not bad.)

I might have missed Shaun Hill's name ahead of him. Correct me if that's the case.

:lol:

Stop it.

If you really want to play that game, Shaun Hill had a higher quarterback rating in 2012 than any quarterback on that list.

Shaun Hill>Aaron Rodgers :lol:

There are plenty of stats to cherry pick.

Last edited:
Nah.

No, wait.

... that was a serious reply?

View media item 537124

Shaun Hill played in 1 game.

Ponder and the rest of those QBs listed in that stat played 13+ games outside of the combined 49ers QB tandem.

Comparing Shaun Hill's QB rating in 1 game to Ponder's 16 game 3rd down stat?

And you're saying those are on the same level of cherry picking? Man, Lions fans..... :rofl: This dude right here is why none of you get listed. :lol: :lol:

Last edited:
Nah.

No, wait.

View media item 537124

Ponder and the rest of those QBs listed in that stat played 13+ games outside of the combined 49ers QB tandem.

And you're saying those are on the same level of cherry picking? Man, Lions fans..... :rofl: This dude right here is why none of you get listed. :lol: :lol:

Yes Shaun Hill played one game ANNNNNND Christian Ponder threw for less yards and had attempts than any QB on that list.

Which you know kinda was my point

My mind is still kinda blown that a fan from the state of Minnesota. a state that is 0 for your life in all sports throws so much shade at the Lions, you know I just can't understand it :lol:

What about attempts? Try making your posts more clear, they're already convoluted enough as it is without the sentence fragments. The shade gets thrown your way because you made a bet with a Spurs fan to quit NT if they beat y'all in a series, and they did, and well... here you are. Respect! my dude.

You went the championship angle?

View media item 537356

Your originality is overwhelming.

But actually it is because you're a Lions fan talking about championships :rofl:

Last edited:
What about attempts? Try making your posts more clear, they're already convoluted enough as it is without the sentence fragments. The shade gets thrown your way because you made a bet with a Spurs fan to quit NT if they beat y'all in a series, and they did, and well... here you are. Respect! my dude.

You went the championship angle?

View media item 537356

Your originality is overwhelming.

But actually it is because you're a Lions fan talking about championships :rofl:

The butthurt is real :lol:

And a Lions fan talking about championships is absurd BUUUUUT so is someone from the state of Minnesota bringing up histrorical relevance, in any sport let alone football.

Nah.

No, wait.

View media item 537124

Yes Shaun Hill played one game ANNNNNND Christian Ponder threw for less yards and had attempts than any QB on that list.

Which you know kinda was my point

My mind is still kinda blown that a fan from the state of Minnesota. a state that is 0 for your life in all sports throws so much shade at the Lions, you know I just can't understand it :lol:

:lol: What?

You suck at this. And going the Championship route only proves your frustration with being unable to clearly prove a legitimate point. That conversatoin is completely irrelevant with the argument you wanted to stir up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom