2014 NBA Draft Thread

FnP8H9l.gif

Obsessing over combine measurements is a dangerous thing, the separation between elite prospects when measured in inches and pounds often minuscule and has limited application in evaluating which mid first round pick will be able to outperform his draft position but I do believe that at the extremes these measurements can be some what useful.

Anyways here are what I would say are the most interesting measurements I saw from Day 1 of the combine hit the spoiler.

Good:

Noah Vonleh’s high release combined with the 7’4 wingspan and 9’0 standing reach he measured out at the combine will give him an advantage over the average NBA power forward also despite being one of the youngest players in the draft as an 18 year old he has an NBA body at 247 lbs.

Jordan Adams, is a completely average two guard physically, but the professionalism and work ethic he’s shown by losing some of the extra baby fat he was carrying at UCLA is very encouraging and important for a player who profiles somewhere between average to below average athletically.

James Young has premium size for an NBA wings with an 8’8 standing reach. if he can ever figure out basic defensive fundamentals, effort intensity, he could be an effective defender at the next level.

Bad?

Gary Harris was an excellent defender at the college level, and its a big part of his appeal as a prospect but his size could really limit his effectiveness on that end, at only 6’2 with an 8’ standing reach, he’s going to have trouble contesting shots at defending shooting guards.

Patric Young despite being 6’10 with shoes, has an only 8’7.5 standing reach, on of the smallest ever measured for an NBA center, its likely going to really limit his value as a rim protector.

Obsessing over combine measurements is a dangerous thing, the separation between elite prospects when measured in inches and pounds often minuscule and has limited application in evaluating which mid first round pick will be able to outperform his draft position but I do believe that at the extremes these measurements can be some what useful.

Anyways here are what I would say are the most interesting measurements I saw from Day 1 of the combine hit the spoiler.

Good:

Noah Vonleh’s high release combined with the 7’4 wingspan and 9’0 standing reach he measured out at the combine will give him an advantage over the average NBA power forward also despite being one of the youngest players in the draft as an 18 year old he has an NBA body at 247 lbs.

Jordan Adams, is a completely average two guard physically, but the professionalism and work ethic he’s shown by losing some of the extra baby fat he was carrying at UCLA is very encouraging and important for a player who profiles somewhere between average to below average athletically.

James Young has premium size for an NBA wings with an 8’8 standing reach. if he can ever figure out basic defensive fundamentals, effort intensity, he could be an effective defender at the next level.

Bad?

Gary Harris was an excellent defender at the college level, and its a big part of his appeal as a prospect but his size could really limit his effectiveness on that end, at only 6’2 with an 8’ standing reach, he’s going to have trouble contesting shots at defending shooting guards.

Patric Young despite being 6’10 with shoes, has an only 8’7.5 standing reach, on of the smallest ever measured for an NBA center, its likely going to really limit his value as a rim protector.
So no shot Vonleh can masqurade as a C at the NBA level?

Gordon and Wiggins thru the gym. Vonleh reaching damn near 7-5, Exum as a 6-6 PG, still have Jabari, Embiid, and Randle to go, and all these NT folks were "overrated draft" "draft busts 2014" during the year. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Never change NT.

Gordon and Wiggins thru the gym. Vonleh reaching damn near 7-5, Exum as a 6-6 PG, still have Jabari, Embiid, and Randle to go, and all these NT folks were "overrated draft" "draft busts 2014" during the year.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Never change NT.
What idiots said that? 
laugh.gif

I didn't screen cap them or anything, but I remember distinctly in early part of the year people were trying to sell that the 2014 class would be overrated.

I should have jotted some names down. :smh:

I'll try to find some quotes if I can, but I'm sure others saw some of the same comments.

This tournament was the first time I saw him.

At 6'6 the fluidity of that spin move, when I saw that I was sold. :nerd:

and then he torched everyone at u18's, he was an automatic foul or bucket.

Last edited:
Any word on Gordon's measurables yet? I wanna know his height and reach, official before I start drooling over that vert.

Any word on Gordon's measurables yet? I wanna know his height and reach, official before I start drooling over that vert.

6'7.5" w/out shoes. 6'8.75" in shoes. 6'11.75" wingspan. 8'9" standing reach

Last edited:
So a smidge under 6-9, with a shade under 7 foot wingspan? And can jump the moon? Holy ****.

5 AM in the gym every morning shooting infinite jumpers, and this kid is going to be fun.

You still thinkin AK47, or you move him up a tad? Remember the Blake/Matrix hybrid comapres, that too far?

LOVE Exum, been watching clips of him at Hoop Summit and his preseason video earlier. However, doesn't he seem like a better version of MCW right now? More creative with the ball and probably less TOS. Both with weak jumpers and not great quickness/speed/power/jumping. He's much smoother with the ball though. 

LOVE Exum, been watching clips of him at Hoop Summit and his preseason video earlier. However, doesn't he seem like a better version of MCW right now? More creative with the ball and probably less TOS. Both with weak jumpers and not great quickness/speed/power/jumping. He's much smoother with the ball though. 

much more of a scorer, he's also 18 vs a 23 year old MCW.

just has a nose for finishing at the rim, MCW struggles to finish.

also I think Exum has an elite first step, MCW imo doesn't.

I feel like Exum will be waay better.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom