2014 NBA Draft Thread

Answer the damn question!
Obsessing over combine measurements is a dangerous thing, the separation between elite prospects when measured in inches and pounds often minuscule and has limited application in evaluating which mid first round pick will be able to outperform his draft position but I do believe that at the extremes these measurements can be some what useful.

Anyways here are what I would say are the most interesting measurements I saw from Day 1 of the combine hit the spoiler.

Good:

Noah Vonleh’s high release combined with the 7’4 wingspan and 9’0 standing reach he measured out at the combine will give him an advantage over the average NBA power forward also despite being one of the youngest players in the draft as an 18 year old he has an NBA body at 247 lbs.

Jordan Adams, is a completely average two guard physically, but the professionalism and work ethic he’s shown by losing some of the extra baby fat he was carrying at UCLA is very encouraging and important for a player who profiles somewhere between average to below average athletically.

James Young has premium size for an NBA wings with an 8’8 standing reach. if he can ever figure out basic defensive fundamentals, effort intensity, he could be an effective defender at the next level.

Bad?

Gary Harris was an excellent defender at the college level, and its a big part of his appeal as a prospect but his size could really limit his effectiveness on that end, at only 6’2 with an 8’ standing reach, he’s going to have trouble contesting shots at defending shooting guards.

Patric Young despite being 6’10 with shoes, has an only 8’7.5 standing reach, on of the smallest ever measured for an NBA center, its likely going to really limit his value as a rim protector.
So no shot Vonleh can masqurade as a C at the NBA level?

No, I agree that he will be better. I said that in my post. Much more creative offensively. Agree about finishing at the rim too. Still my top PG prospect easily, but I think him and MCW are more similar than I initially realized. Definitely big difference in an 18 year old versus a 23 year old too. 

OKB, you doing the Kings draft challenge? 
nerd.gif

Answer the damn question!

So much will depend on his defensive IQ and the coach, hard to judge that in college.

He's about Chris Bosh sized, but Chris combines length with smarts so he can play C really well.

he could do it for stretches.

Exum going #1 overall.

If Philly gets the top pick...they wouldn't. Would they?

He fouls entirely too much. You'd probably be better served hiding him on a weak offensive center if you're going to play him there. 

what position do you think he will play in the NBA?

whoever he can guard, you are going to have to hide him, if you have a PF who can't post up he gaurd him, if you have a strict 3 and d wings you put Doug on him.

game to game whoever he can gaurd.

He needs to got to the Bobcats, would fix a ton of issues for them.

Vonleh measurements. :pimp:

Marcus Smart is a freak of nature though, if I'm not getting Wiggins/Embiid/Parker/Exum I gotta go with him. He's a terrible shooter though, I have faith that he'll improve, I'm not in love with his form but hey.

Last edited:

This tournament was the first time I saw him.

At 6'6 the fluidity of that spin move, when I saw that I was sold. :nerd:

and then he torched everyone at u18's, he was an automatic foul or bucket.

Kid is amazing, CANNOT WAIT to see how good he'll be.

People say this draft is overrated but I really don't think so.

Would you guys take Randle over Gordon?

Feel as if Gordon has more charisma, but Randle does the dirty work.

Regardless, its going to be a great rookie season.

Would you guys take Randle over Gordon?

Feel as if Gordon has more charisma, but Randle does the dirty work.

Regardless, its going to be a great rookie season.

Yes I would... he LOVES to rebound and can score on the block... Once he gets that mid range down he'll be Boseph reincarnated :pimp:

I'm really high on Julius.

I wish he was a little taller/longer... but I have faith.

LaVine is a DIFFERENT type of athlete, dude is amazing, I hope he can learn to play the point.

Back
Top Bottom