2014 NBA Draft Thread

LaVine is a DIFFERENT type of athlete, dude is amazing, I hope he can learn to play the point.

Why do people keep trying to pigeon hole him into a PG? He's an SG with elite athleticism and still developing range on his outside shot.

Exactly...I don't see where the hell people see Lavine playing point guard. Just because he's really athletic and went to UCLA does not mean he is Russell Westbrook.

The outliers (Westbrook, Wall, Holiday, etc) stand out and make GMs salivate.

Why do people keep trying to pigeon hole him into a PG? He's an SG with elite athleticism and still developing range on his outside shot.
I don't get why people get so excited for a big PG. they never really pan out and normally become SGs

Possibly because many that grew up watching the NBA saw a 6-9 PG dominate the league for a decade?

When Penny came up, they were expecting the same thing, and pre injury, he was headed in that direction.

Gary Payton and Jason Kidd were two other tall PG's, and they were both great players.

You get a PG that is anywhere near 6-5 and you have a built in advantage from go if he has any game at all. Can cause problems on defense, see over his own defender, rebound well for the position, possibly finish at the rim better than shorter PG's, all kinds of benefits.

I don't get why people get so excited for a big PG. they never really pan out and normally become SGs

I like to think of talent evaluation on a radar graph with 4 axis.

Size
Explosiveness
Coordination
Skill

Elite players are on the extreme end of at least two of these categories

Westbrook- size, explosiveness
Blake Griffin, Explosiveness, coordination.
Steve Nash - Coordination, Skill.
Demarcas Cousins - Coordination, Size.

Generational talents are on the extreme end of at least 3 categories.

Dirk, Size coordination, Skill.
David Robinson, Size, Coordination, Explosiveness.
Duncan, Coordination, Skill, Size.

and Lebron Jame and Kevin Durant have it all.

Size is the only one that you can't teach or improve.

It's not perfect but you get the idea.

Last edited:
Any chance he makes it to 21, we need a replacement for thabo..

Insert lamb into the starting lineup.. Reggie is the back pg/sg.. Then we need a 4th guy with fisher going to coach the knicks

^ distinct possibility.. And if we move him, hopefully it's to orlando for affalo

but he doesn't become a restricted free agent until after next season

:lol: I know why they are excited but I'm saying most tall point guards never really pan out. Can you guys name the last pg at least 6'5 that didn't have to switch to the off guard position? How many teams start a pg at least 6'5?

Last edited:
Can you guys name the last pg at least 6'5 that didn't have to switch to the off guard position? 
20140101_pjc_bk3_088.0_standard_400.0.jpg

Also...a big point is considered 6'4 and up.

Last edited:
20140101_pjc_bk3_088.0_standard_400.0.jpg

Also...a big point is considered 6'4 and up.
Yeah, my focus is on people hyping the 6'5 and over, thinking they will better off at the 1 opposed to the 2. You posted one picture but what about the evans, stuckeys, crawfords etc. Who people thought they should have been point guards due to their size advantage but had to switch to the 2 because that was their better position

Last edited:
:lol: I know why they are excited but I'm saying most tall point guards never really pan out. Can you guys name the last pg at least 6'5 that didn't have to switch to the off guard position? How many teams start a pg at least 6'5?

I mean 6'5+ PG's are rare to begin with.

Livingston when he was healthy stayed at PG.
Vasquez stayed at PG.
Brandon Roy basically played the point when he was healthy.
Iman Shumpert got moved off.

Yeah, my focus is on people hyping the 6'5 and over, thinking they will better off at the 1 opposed to the 2. You posted one picture but what about the evans, stuckeys, etc.

i mean you could say this about any extreme attribute, or any prospects, so few actually pan out. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom