2014 NBA Off-Season; Paul George suffers a double-compund-fracture, likely out for season. Speedy re

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does RPM differ from the regular plus/minus that we see in the box score? Just trying to understand the rankings you posted.

Its the same if I'm not mistaken. Tells you how much better a team played on offense and defense when a given player was on the floor, and how much that improvement was that individual player's doing.

It reflects the impact of each player on his team's scoring margin after controlling for the strength of every teammate and every opponent during each minute he's on the court.

Adjusted +/- ratings indicate how many additional points are contributed to a team's scoring margin by a given player in comparison to the league-average player whose adjusted +/- value is zero over the span of a typical game. It is assumpted that in a typical game a team has 100 offensive and 100 defensive possessions. For example, if a +6.5 "adjusted +/-" player is on the floor with 4 average teammates, his team will average about 6.5 points better per 100 possessions than 5 average players would.

ESPN ranks each position here: http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/RPM Its not perfect by all means, but it does have some value. Of course, you have to use a mixture of the eye test/common sense along with analytics to make a good assumption of a player. Like the RPM PG list is:

1 CP3
2 Curry
3 Russ
4 Conley
5 Bev
6 Lowry
7 Bledsoe
8 Mills
9 Rubio
10 Lawson

That doesn't mean that's your top 10 PG's even though some of them do belong in the conversation. I figured Paul and JJ would be somewhere at the top on the list from an analytical standpoint. Both players test well in that regard. Pat Bev's defensive RPM combined wtih Harden's offensive RPM probably got them on the list. Both Conley and Allen test really well defensively and the Grizz are not as good with Conley off the floor, which helped boost their rank.

I honestly can't argue with the top 10. Maybe the order would change, but I"m not sure if I'll take any of those backcourts off the list to add one. Maybe if Rose/Butler , Rondo/Bradley, Kyrie/Waiters, etc. can accumulate enough games together, they will be on the list.

Last edited:
Real plus/minus. Not surprised at all by the list and don't see why its so far fetched :lol: . RPM has its flaws, but so does the eye test and people's opinions.

How does RPM differ from the regular plus/minus that we see in the box score? Just trying to understand the rankings you posted.

It tries to adjust for teammates and opponents.

http://regressing.deadspin.com/just-what-the-hell-is-real-plus-minus-espns-new-nba-s-1560361469

It's just like a slightly tweaked version of this

http://stats-for-the-nba.appspot.com

By4JjtAIUAAK22f.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/Scalabrine

If I had to choose between paying Danny Green $4M and paying Klay $15M, I would much rather have Danny Green. Just look at the numbers. This is assuming both players produced similar to last season.

The same thing can be said when paying Matthews $7M and paying Klay $15M.

Last edited:
I guess the skyline thing is a new trend around the league. First the Mavs new unis, now the Cavs court.

nah bro ill never hate on a athlete getting paid but baseball and basketball are notorious for this...

whos next up to get a max to major money deal?

Kemba
Beal
Kawhi(spurs don't give out max)
jeff teague
Teague is going into his second year of a 4yr/$32m deal, so no.

If I had to choose between paying Danny Green $4M and paying Klay $15M, I would much rather have Danny Green. Just look at the numbers. This is assuming both players produced similar to last season.

The same thing can be said when paying Matthews $7M and paying Klay $15M.
All of this.

Lmaooooo @ mo cheeks :smh:Oh yea you can do 5 team league pass thing...forgot who asked about it a few days ago

Lmaooooo @ mo cheeks :smh: Oh yea you can do 5 team league pass thing...forgot who asked about it a few days ago
Is it going to cost 130 again? Cause thats nonsense when all 30 teams is like 199

Really wish Ballstreams would get back to me regarding my invite request

This is how shooting guards rated according to RPM last year.

BxqcpnqCQAEqFn0.png:large
Manu and Danny!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom