2014 New York Yankees season thread Vol. (84-78) .. Essential's Offseason thread coming soon

Sigh. Martin Prado is likely out for the rest of the season due to an emergency appendectomy :smh:

I truthfully think Tanaka is healthy and ready to rock, and not being rushed back. Excited for his start on Sunday.

And the Rays gift to Jeter was dope, framed Zimmer jersey :pimp: .

After a one-year pillow offer, Nelson Cruz appears to have riches awaiting for him this winter. The Orioles will make him the $15MM+ qualifying offer, but he’ll be in demand as one of the few right-handed power hitters out there. The Yankees can be expected to have interest and the Rangers could look to bring him back.

If they go after Cruz, then pretty much means they go after Lester over Scherzer to not lose a 2nd round pick as well.

I don't like Cruz long term, but there is a void of any type of power in our lineup :smh: , and there's really nobody else in the Free Agent Market who would add power.

Would mean we'd likely pass on Heyward or Cespedes or Upton in 2016.

BUT Teix & Beltran both expire at the same time as Giancarlo becomes a Free Agent for 2017. Would allow us to move Cruz to DH to finish off his contract. By that time Sanchez should be ready for catcher, and move McCann to everyday 1B for final 2-3 years of his contract. Unless Marlins offer an out of this world number, I don't think they can get an extension done. Unlike Trout who had financial incentive to take the extension, Stanton won't. An extension gets him money 1 year quicker. Just shortens the inevitable. When he hits Free Agency at 28, he will be looking at a 8-9 year deal from anywhere he chooses, including Miami. Also there's a lot of credibility problems in Miami with how they build teams. Selling him as the "focus" means nothing when they tear down winning teams overnight and sell for scraps.

Last edited:
I think they would/should probably pass on Heyward. He's the type of hitter that screams he'll just sacrifice everything for power. One of the best defensive (maybe the best) outfielders in the game but it'd be 5x that in CF where we're locked up.

Upton would KILL fans here :lol: he's such a feast or famine player, the media would slaughter him when he disappears in crunch time.

I still hold out some hope for Stanton but I think it's beyond us as of right now. Personally, I don't think they extend him and he's traded this winter. I've said it for a couple year, I think he's Boston bound :smh: Florida/Miami and Boston always seem to have the pieces that fit and Boston's farm is deep and talented. But wherever he goes via trade, he's getting that $300mm extension.

I think this offseason, Cash will bank on health for the lineup and add smaller pieces. I gotta imagine they'll prioritize Lester/Scherzer, then Robertson and then the lineup.

I gotta double check the FA's because the guys I thought about at the start of August may have changed.

I'm more excited to discuss this than the rest of the year though.

I don't want Nelson Cruz, he's getting older and heavier. He's a disaster waiting to happen. **** no.

Jason Heyward, I like his game but he's too streaky. He has a lot of talent but he's not the player he should be.

Offseason is simple.

Re-sign Robertson & Headley.

Go after an Ace. Tanaka - CC - Pineda - Greene - Phelps / Nova is no where near good enough to win.

Then try to make a trade for a SS. If you go the Free Agent route it's either a SS (JJ Hardy - cheapest option, with most reward for least risk) or Right Power bat in Nelson Cruz.

I don't want Nelson Cruz, he's getting older and heavier. He's a disaster waiting to happen. **** no.

No other option. Offense needs power. Unless we can somehow get that through a trade, he's the only choice.

Last edited:
I still hold out some hope for Stanton but I think it's beyond us as of right now. Personally, I don't think they extend him and he's traded this winter. I've said it for a couple year, I think he's Boston bound :smh: Florida/Miami and Boston always seem to have the pieces that fit and Boston's farm is deep and talented. But wherever he goes via trade, he's getting that $300mm extension.

Perhaps. But that then frees up Cespedes for 2016.

Ugh, I am not a fan. Pitchers have figured that guy out. There's no value to me in a guy that can't get on base at a .300 clip. It'd would be a little more acceptable if he had monster power. Is 21 HR's in 607 PA's really enough to punt the fact that he can't get on base, decent defense and an arm? Not to me. The Richie Sexson comp I used to hear is so crazy to me :lol:

I think they would/should probably pass on Heyward. He's the type of hitter that screams he'll just sacrifice everything for power. One of the best defensive (maybe the best) outfielders in the game but it'd be 5x that in CF where we're locked up.

Upton would KILL fans here :lol: he's such a feast or famine player, the media would slaughter him when he disappears in crunch time.

I think this offseason, Cash will bank on health for the lineup and add smaller pieces. I gotta imagine they'll prioritize Lester/Scherzer, then Robertson and then the lineup.

I gotta double check the FA's because the guys I thought about at the start of August may have changed.

I'm more excited to discuss this than the rest of the year though.

I actually thought about what you said about Stanton.

I don't think the Marlins have the balls to trade Stanton within the next 12 months.
1. Because they have really screwed with the team foundation by constantly building it up and tearing it down on a whim.
2. They have gotten a lot of push back from the fan base for how they've handled the stadium, as well as going about just tanking without a plan.
3. Stanton is the only attraction that they have, their attendance will fall far below Tampa's shameful nightly attendance if they trade him.

It could certainly happen in 2016, but I just don't see it happening yet because Stanton is too good, coming off a monster season, and the entire Marlins franchise has been too shaky about putting a product out on the field

If it happens in 2016, I'm not fully convinced he will just sign an extension wherever he goes when he could play the market and get his money anyway.

Last edited:
Betances just broke Yankees record for most strikeouts as a reliever 131Ks in 87 IP.

Previous leader Mariano Rivera in 1996 with 130Ks in 107.2 IP.

Betances just broke Yankees record for most strikeouts as a reliever 131Ks in 87 IP.

:pimp:

Easily the brightest spot of this season.

Hus player tee will be copped.

:pimp:

Easily the brightest spot of this season.

Hus player tee will be copped.

I was at Marshall's they had Tanaka & Ellsbury player tees for $14.. I would have copped them both, but only had Small for each.. I was like you dirty son of a *****

Last edited:

Great season for relievers, particularly non-closers. Off the top, Betances, Wade Davis, Tony Watson, Herrera, Doolittle before taking the closer gig.

Similar story to last year:

Games where we score 3 or less runs
April: 4-8
May: 2-8
June: 3-10
July: 4-10
August: 4-12
September: 2-8

19-56. Almost half of the season we couldn't put up more than 3 runs.

26th in Runs Scored. But on the bright side we were top 5 in baserunning. Only problem is we couldn't drive them in.

But that 19-56, is the reason why we are not Division Champs. Certainly wasn't the pitching staff despite being held together by duct tape.

No blame to Ellsbury or Gardner. Gardner has been bad this past month, but I chalk it up to still being injured. Ellsbury hit 20 points less than his career average, but when you spend 3 months at #3 in the order, 365 at-bats, you are forcing one of the best leadoff hitters to approach his at-bats as a power hitter as opposed to just getting on, everything suffers. For our lineup as a whole it made things much worse. Could you imagine the damage we could have done in the 1st inning every game with Ellsbury up 1st, followed by Gardner. There's a solid chance that the #3-4-5 guys could have come up with 2 runners on.

Prado & Headley have been solid for the past month and a half to 2 months. Doing exactly what you want from bottom of the order guys. BUT, the Captain, Teix, Beltran, McCann haven't lived up to the bill.

Last edited:
There's no excuse to not see major heads roll after this season. This team has not only been a disappointment, but utterly irrelevant the majority of the season. From Tanaka's inury, to CC's injury, to absurd coaching, lack of emphasis on bringing kids up - embarrassing.

Sad state of affairs for the Yankees.

Back
Top Bottom