2014 New York Yankees season thread Vol. (84-78) .. Essential's Offseason thread coming soon

Chris Young is literally doing all he can to secure a spot on the team next season, or anywhere in the league. Great stuff :smokin .

R.I.P. Frank Torre

O's gonna have another walk-off
mean.gif
.  Yanks should've had the first game in the double header too.

They gotta shut Robertson down for his own good. The guy comes out Saturday and said he is sore everywhere...and Joe trots him out there for the 3rd day in a row.

Source: Mark Newman, the exec in charge of Yankees’ minor-league system, plans to retire

The Yankees have taken a lot of heat in recent years for inability to develop position players in the minor leagues. Beginning next season, they’ll be relying on a new leader to try turning that around.

According to a source, senior VP of baseball operations Mark Newman informed Hal Steinbrenner he plans to retire after more than 25 years with the organization. Newman, who has overseen the minor-league system for the past decade and a half, was nearing the end of his contract, and the source said the Yankees had planned on making a change with his position even if he had not decided to retire.

Steinbrenner plans to have an organizational meeting as soon as the season is over, a source said, which will include a “total evaluation” of the player development system. According to sources, that could result in a "complete overhaul” with Damon Oppenheimer, Pat Roessler, Gary Denbo, Jody Reed and other Newman associates all in danger of not being retained.

A source said Newman's replacement is not expected to come from within the organization, as the Yankee brass believes that new ideas and a new direction are needed.

It is not clear whether Oppenheimer, the team’s amateur scouting director, will return next season. The team’s recent drafts have produced some young pitching, but the position players have largely been busts.

A year ago, Steinbrenner opted not to fire either Newman or Oppenheimer, saying instead that the club would install “dozens of changes” to the way they operate with their minor-league players.

“We looked at this thing from top to bottom,” Steinbrenner said at last November’s owners meetings. “It’s really easy to say, ‘Get rid of this guy, get rid of this guy, get rid of that guy’ – there are certainly some owners that might do that, but that doesn’t always solve the problem.”

A year later, the Yankees are going to give it a try.

Neither Newman nor general manager Brian Cashman were immediately available for comment.

Thank god.. Minor League system has been horrible in developing players. Sooooo many "Next Big Things" who fizzle out once they hit AAA.

I kind of want this season to end today, so I can finish writing all these retrospectives, and what to do in Free Agency.

It was a lot better than last year though. Better health, Judge looking like a top 30-50 prospect and a couple other breakouts.

I'm curious to see who the fans will overrate (and in turn hate) next. My chips are on Refsynder :lol:

It was a lot better than last year though. Better health, Judge looking like a top 30-50 prospect and a couple other breakouts.

I'm curious to see who the fans will overrate (and in turn hate) next. My chips are on Refsynder :lol:

For the guys who weren't supposed to be anything Refsnyder, Judge, Jagielo they look good.

If you were supposed to be good Mason Williams, Tyler Austin, Slade Heathcott they've all become basically a waste.

I actually think Refsnyder would be a fan favorite, so long as he produces. So yeah he's a good choice pro :lol:

Back
Top Bottom