2014 New York Yankees season thread Vol. (84-78) .. Essential's Offseason thread coming soon

His CB looks terrible so far, so he's not going to strike anyone out without it.

Plus, he stranded something like 80% of runners on base last season. That's not gonna happen again :lol: as long as he's around a 4 ERA, he's valuable.

For Nova, who I think we all see as having good #3/great #4 stuff, if he can stay sub 4.1 ERA, and less than 1.35 WHIP, we'll have a great rotation for a while.

I like Phelps. He's got decent stuff, decent back end rotation guy. But I think the Yankees will look at signing an Ace or a #2 in the next couple of year.. Even with C.C. & Tanaka's contract.

It's not like he's wrong though. It's on the media to stop the stupidity they feel they need to run with. They asked him like 5 Tanaka questions in a row before he went off.

BTW, why they have not signed Drew yet is beyond me. Spend all this money but don't wanna drop a few million + a couple years for Drew? Stupid if you ask me.

With Solarte playing great, signing Drew would just knock Solarte out of the lineup.. Might as well wait like everyone else is for

1. Date a pick doesn't need to be given up
2. A major infield injury at 2B or SS

SSS, I wouldn't get so excited about Solarte and miss out on a guy who could hold down SS for a year or two and keep the Yanks from spending on an overrated FA next winter. Let you only play one of Roberts/Solarte and ride a hot bat and have some insurance for when Roberts gets hurt.

I get what you're saying.... I hope Solarte doesn't come back to earth, too much fun saying Yangervis under good pretenses.

But it really has to be about the pick. Olney is saying when Drew does sign it will be between $9-12mil per, but it isn't worth that plus a pick to any ball club. Once the June draft rolls around, is when he'll get more serious looks because it won't cost a pick anymore. Personally, I think the idea of all I have to do is offer the qualifying to any player, and if he leaves I get their best available pick defeats the purpose of Free Agency, keeps salaries down, and restricts player movement. Things the MLBPA should be against. Even if you don't want the player anymore, teams give out the QO like it's nothing, so they take another team's draft pick.

From the Yankees stand-point, Drew is decent, but they do have some protection in their lineup. Ryan is probably a month away. But in his absence there is Solarte, Anna, Johnson to back up Jeter & Roberts. When Ryan gets back, there is another one, don't need to send people up and down like we need to with our pitching. Likely means Nuno or Warren will get sent back down, which is expected anyway.

I'd also much rather they really try to pry Chris Owings or Didi Gregorious from the DBacks. Would be much more intelligent move due to youth and cost. We can save money not spent on Drew for someone else, and have 8 years of youth in comparison.

As for them spending big on someone in the infield, we all know it's coming. There is a hole in 2B, SS & 3B after this season. They are not going to let A-Rod play another game as a Yankee, I see them cutting him in the offseason. Easier to just pay him the money, and walk away than deal with the headache. Solarte, Anna & Ryan are all decent backup options. Johnson is a great backup option, but there are no starters there. Unless Solarte keeps it up. We don't really have anybody in the minors, who we'll see in any of the IF positions in the next 3 years (expect for Sanchez).

Asdrubral Cabrera, J.J. Hardy, Jed Lowrie, Hanley Ramirez, Pablo Sandoval, Chase Headley are all Free Agents at SS & 3B, hard to imagine they don't walk away with one of them.

Last edited:
The fact about Drew is simple. There is a reason he isn't on a team right now.

With all the hype that he had in Arizona and as a prospect...the reason he isn't on a team is clear to every MLB squad. If not, then he'd be somewhere. You can't tell me there aren't 10-15 teams that need a player of Drew's caliber.

But there must be a handful of red flags.

The fact about Drew is simple. There is a reason he isn't on a team right now.

With all the hype that he had in Arizona and as a prospect...the reason he isn't on a team is clear to every MLB squad. If not, then he'd be somewhere. You can't tell me there aren't 10-15 teams that need a player of Drew's caliber.

But there must be a handful of red flags.

It's the pick plus the money.

He is an decent utility infielder.

But at $10 mil + giving up a pick is not a smart signing, even for teams who really need him. Boston really hurt his market with the QO.

If there was no pick attached to signing him, he would have been a Yankee or a Met already.

Its not the picks that teams don't want to give up, its the accompanying pool money they don't want to lose. In the old CBA, when you lost the draft pick you were still able to keep the money but not anymore.

When the Brewers signed Lohse last year, they gave up their draft pick but they also lost $2.1M from their draft pool. The Cardinals got a compensation pick and money cause they lost Lohse. Not sure if they got the full $2.1M, but I doubt it. When the draft came around, the Brewers had 10 picks and $3.94M to spend. Around $394K per pick average. While the Astros had $1.2M per pick average. 

I think with compensation with the pick or the $ in the international pool (which they seem to ignore as well), I'd still take the risk. Drew isn't on the market because he's not skilled or there are red flags around him. It was that ridiculous notion of turning down the QO, the years and the pick the team would have to give up. Every team shied away and now he's content to wait it out and no one is going to give him anything now.

There's a big problem with each of those FA's next year, I'd take my chances on him for 3 years than any of them for 5. But to each his own, we have different views on this one.

I think Drew is still unsigned because of Boras. He tried to get Peralta type money or even more for Drew. Then when spring training started he wanted a 3 year deal but he was adamant on an opt out after the first year. A team doesn't wanna lose compensation only to have Drew opt out the following year. Knowing that the Yanks are gonna be looking to replace Jeter, therefore raising the market. Then after Jose Iglesias got hurt and the Tigers looked like they needed a ss, stories came out with Boras saying he has a 3 year, $39M contract on the table for Drew. Clearly trying to use the media to get the Tigers owner to bite like he did on Prince Fielder but they didn't.

It's starting to get sad watching CC pitch. Good for 5 and then it gets painful. From the 5th inning he was starting to work hard, deep pitch counts and misplaced pitches

5-1/3 great innings. Then it was coming.. Once the Ortiz check swing happened, you knew it was coming. That's how baseball is.

Wouldn't even matter if CC held it, our offense sucks.

Last edited:
I told you guys about my boy Dellin.. I been telling you.

C.C. has pitched 19 innings. 4 innings of 13 runs, 15 innings of 1 run. For most of his starts, his stuff has looked really good, it's just one inning a game that does not go well.

Wasn't Dellin one of their top prospects in the past? If he's the same guy I'm thinking of, he always had #2 or #3 maybe even #1 starter type stuff but his control just wasn't there. Maybe the move to the bullpen was all he needed.

Wasn't Dellin one of their top prospects in the past? If he's the same guy I'm thinking of, he always had #2 or #3 maybe even #1 starter type stuff but his control just wasn't there. Maybe the move to the bullpen was all he needed.

He was.. He was almost out he was so bad last year until they moved him to the bullpen.

But I have an irrational fandom for Dellin Betances... :lol:

C.C. has pitched 19 innings. 4 innings of 13 runs, 15 innings of 1 run. For most of his starts, his stuff has looked really good, it's just one inning a game that does not go well.

Which has to be SUPER frustrating for him.

Which has to be SUPER frustrating for him.

Tonight was ridiculous. Gives up Homerun, comes back with a strike out... Ortiz gets a check swing hit, that would have been an out without the shift. Napoli hits a 3-0 pitch. Then he hangs one to Grady. After the homerun, strikes out the next two batters. Even comes back in the 7th and gets 3 ground ball outs.

Back
Top Bottom