2015 NY Knicks offseason thread, Los Almighty appreciation thread

i dont understand what you guys mean by "overpay". we can only give monroe the max, its not like we can go beyond that...

i dont understand what you guys mean by "overpay". we can only give monroe the max, its not like we can go beyond that...

EXACTLY... we all know monroe is good player but definitely not worth the max... you look at guys like hayward in utah and gordon in new orleans who are really good players but dont deserve the max... the knicks will foolishly overpay him like they did with amare

These days in the NBA, you have to overpay free agents to get them to sign w/ you. Last year's free agency proved so. These players want their money.

EXACTLY... we all know monroe is good player but definitely not worth the max... you look at guys like hayward in utah and gordon in new orleans who are really good players but dont deserve the max... the knicks will foolishly overpay him like they did with amare

amare is a different story. this guy had a 5 year 100 mil contract on a busted knee, with borrowed time, and a guaranteed contract. monroe's max would be 66 mil and does not have any major injuries. theres a HUGE difference between the two signings.

the max for monroe seems pretty fair to me. there isnt any other big that averages his numbers and gets paid less than 16 mil/year.

Last edited:
Greg Monroe Expects Sit Down With Knicks At Appropriate Time
APR 15, 2015 8:28 AM

Greg Monroe is expected to receive interest from the New York Knicks in free agency.

“We are well aware the Knicks have cap space and we will sit down with them at the appropriate time,’’ David Falk said. “Now is not the appropriate time.’’

A recent report said the two sides are "about as close to a done deal as you can get."

“It’s so silly,’’ Falk said. “It’s factually incorrect and completely unsubstantiated.

“Do I think he’d be a good fit for the Knicks? Absolutely. He’d be a good fit for 30 teams. Can he work in the triangle? Sure. He played the Princeton offense at Georgetown. He could play in the rhombus. He’d be a great fit for any system.’’

You can tell Monroes agent is intrigued.
'That is preposterous! Do I think he'd fit on the Knicks? Yes I do. Do I think he can play in the triangle? Yes I do. Have we sat down and agreed on a deal? Yes we have...wait, I meant no.'

:lol:

amare is a different story. this guy had a 5 year 100 mil contract on a busted knee, with borrowed time, and a guaranteed contract. monroe's max would be 66 mil and does not have any major injuries. theres a HUGE difference between the two signings.

the max for monroe seems pretty fair to me. there isnt any other big that averages his numbers and gets paid less than 16 mil/year.
After finding out what his max is, I'm cool with giving him the max. 4 years/66 million is as fair as it gets for a young guy who does what he does and is still ascending.

These days in the NBA, you have to overpay free agents to get them to sign w/ you. Last year's free agency proved so. These players want their money.

You can still get good players at a decent price... but i do agree you do have to overpay for good players but its like should a team really use that option? Look at last year some teams signed good players that werent big names but great contracts like ariza, turner and luol deng... these players have big roles on their team and were very cheap compared to max players... if the nba had the same type of contracts as the mlb then money shouldnt be in issue in signing players... knicks have to be conservative in the nba but also competitive especially for the free agency next year which has a better pool of free agents

Last edited:

You can still get good players at a decent price... but i do agree you do have to overpay for good players but its like should a team really use that option? Look at last year some teams signed good players that werent big names but great contracts like ariza, turner and luol deng... these players have big roles on their team and were very cheap compared to max players... if the nba had the same type of contracts as the mlb then money shouldnt be in issue in signing players... knicks have to be conservative in the nba but also competitive especially for the free agency next year which has a better pool of free agents

Can you, as a fan, wait for another season? Melo's only getting older. Soon we'll have to have someone else to build around. Plus Monroe is very young still. It's more like investing in his potential.

We better make the playoffs next year even if we have no shot at a title. The LMA pick was humiliating.

plus monroe is 23. the amare deal was terrible, but this one won't be like that just off the age and health differences between the two.

no i cant wait for another season... im tired of missing the playoffs and it sucks cuz melo is still in his prime... im not saying we should wait until next free agency just have it as a option and not throw away money just for the sake of it... besides overpaying amare we did the same thing for tyson and where did that get us? obviously monroe is better than tyson but thats not my point... i would like to get monroe but for the max though... i dont know about that.. and if yall want to give monroe the max cool if thats our last and best option but at least try to see if we got any shot at love first

Last edited:
one thing about melo is that he basically took the year off. thats one less season of wear and tear, so that may actually prolong his career/prime a bit.

he's also never relied on his athleticism, so his decline wont be as sharp.

Last edited:
I dont want monroe here....reasons

1.Not worth the max
2.Not a winner. Playoffs??? College???
3.The guy averaged 16 and 10 on a contract year on a non playoff team...these arent superstar numbers any way you slice them
4.No heart
5.Not a leader
6.Not much of a defensive force....would not categorize him as an enforcer
7.Soft.

I just really want you guys to get this Monroe thing out of your head.

Last edited:
he's averaged 15 and 9 every year since his rookie season when he entered the league as a 20 year old. he's never posted less than 5.9 win shares and has 6.6 this season—second on his team to drummond's 7.4 and in the top 50 in the nba. he has the 30th best PER in the league. he's 24 and has played on a cluster**** of a team his whole career that's never gotten good point guard play or coaching until this season. if Jennings didn't get hurt, Detroit would've been a playoff team. but clearly, according to you, everything falls on Monroe's shoulders for the pistons being failures. you must hate the idea of adding andre drummond to this team to since he's never made the playoffs either.

Back
Top Bottom