2016 MLB thread. THE CUBS HAVE BROKEN THE CURSE! Chicago Cubs are your 2016 World Series champions

Status
Not open for further replies.
That Cubs fan with the shades 
laugh.gif

"Boom"

Question for P proshares and @Osh Kosh Bosh......

I respect your baseball opinions so I have to know....

How many more games does Kershaw need to pitch below his ability and regular season standards for you two to stop using the small sample size rebuttal? We are at nearly 60 innings pitched now, and his postseason ERA is still more than double his regular season ERA. At what point will the sample size be large enough for you guys?

Not trying to be a jerk, just curious.

You didn't ask me, but I'm going to answer :lol:

He's thrown 1600 regular season innings as one of the best, if not the best, pitcher in baseball.

You can find anything significant from 1600 innings vs 60. The same size is just way too small.

He dominated that game last night, but ended up giving 3 earned runs from someone allowing his inherited runners from scoring. Results sometimes just aren't indicative of how someone performed because he dominate that game last night.

I'll take the guy who lines out an OFer 4 times in a game over the guy with 2 hits through the infielder.

You actually didn't answer my question at all. You simply restated that 57.2 innings is too small a sample size.

So again, at what point is the sample size large enough?

You actually didn't answer my question at all. You simply restated that 57.2 innings is too small a sample size.

So again, at what point is the sample size large enough?

A playoff sample size will NEVER be large enough to prove player X is different than the regular season version.

looking like the michelin man :lol:

as for sample sizes...you can only go off what you have. you're never going to get a playoff sample size that compares to the regular season. some guys "appear" to pitch better in October and some "appear" to not pitch as well. 10 or so starts is probably enough to make an assessment on if someone is an elite big game pitcher.

Last edited:
Surprised the smartest fans in baseball weren't able to avoid getting hit by that bat.

You play 162 regular season games and at most 20 post season games per year. The greater the data, the more normalized it becomes. To draw any meaningful conclusions from playoff performances just isn't logical. Just due to how many regular season games there are, playoff data will never become significant vs regular season data.

i don't think it's a comparison of regular to post season (i know that's what Dland specifically mentioned). it's just, is he an elite big game pitcher or is he not? that's probably more of an appropriate question.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom