2016 MLB thread. THE CUBS HAVE BROKEN THE CURSE! Chicago Cubs are your 2016 World Series champions

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much of a Gordon fan I am. Watching him play in high school, to taking my Huskers to the CWS. Struggling, playing out of position almost being labeled a bust then finally catching on and being an All Star and Gold Glove LF. Being 90 feet away last year from winning it to smacking the biggest homerun in Royals history in game 1. Then finally bringing the chip back to KC. I would not be upset one bit if he ran for the money
because baseball is a business and I root for whats on the front of the jersey

Baltimore really handled Bundy poorly :lol:

It's real logical to draft a guy knowing what makes him, and then changing him :lol:

Almost as bad as the Twins turning their power pitching prospects into ground ball contact guys :lol:

That reminds me try and get Alex Meyer on the cheap as well and see if he can make it as a reliever. Just go out there and find anything that might have work.

You're definitely on the right train of thought going after two org's notorious for destroying prospect pitchers :lol:

No QO for Span. Not sure why, he just hired Boras as his agent so there's no chance he would've accepted it. Curious to see where he ends up.

No QO for Span. Not sure why, he just hired Boras as his agent so there's no chance he would've accepted it. Curious to see where he ends up.

Well, no draft pick attached, great chance he gets a call from us.

We get a pick for Fowler leaving, and doesn't cost us a pick to pick up Span, Theo will be all over that I'm guessing.

Can someone explain qualifying offers? So like, when their contract is over, they can either accept a QO or become a free agent? ****'s confusing lol. NBA is way simpler, no QO or arbitration.

Last edited:
Can someone explain qualifying offers? So like, when their contract is over, they can either accept a QO or become a free agent? ****'s confusing lol. NBA is way simpler, no QO or arbitration.

Nah they're a free agent no matter what. Qualifying offer is just a 1 year contract teams offer their own free agents in order to get draft pick compensation if they sign somewhere else. The compensation depends on the "level" or tier of the free agent. The risk for the team is that the player can accept it and be stuck with them. The player can take it, or sign elsewhere. Their new team will owe the old team whatever draft pick compensation attached.

Edit: the closest nba comparison would be the 1 year deal for restricted free agents from their current team, I suppose

Last edited:
They have the Nats spending $238M on Upton, Wieters, and Parra :lol: highly doubt they sign Upton at this point, but I could definitely see Wieters and Parra.

They have the Mets signing Desmond as well, which I doubt happens - but I'd allow it :smokin

Technically Cuddyer is just a two year deal and they felt Conforto needed it to develop. I hated the Cuddyer signing but still, it's only a two year deal. Signing Deskond for five or seven years blocks Cechinni and Rosario.

Oh yeah you got that from that article?

Oh yeah you got that from that article?

:rofl:

2. Jason Heyward – Yankees. Ten years, $200MM. Since his 2010 rookie season, Heyward has quietly been one of the game’s best outfielders. He’s an excellent defender and baserunner with a solid on-base percentage and some pop. Heyward hit a career-high 27 home runs in 2012, but only 38 in the three seasons since. He doesn’t have the typical power output of a $200MM player, but his all-around game makes him a sabermetric darling with six wins above replacement this year. A very long term and an opt-out clause are on the table for Heyward because he broke into the Majors at age 20, and is now just 26. The Cardinals will try to convince Heyward to stay, but teams like the Angels, Yankees, White Sox, and Astros could make a play.

Crazy with the years and $. Would love 6-8 tops.

macbk macbk He's 26. That's a pretty fair deal. Also the likelihood that each party makes it to through the 10th year on that original deal is almost none.

He'll ask for an opt out. Probably after year 5. If I'm the Yankees, I ask for it after Year 6. And when he opts out. You give him the QO, and you walk away from him to get that draft pick consideration, regardless of how good he still is at 32.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom