2016 Official NBA Off-Season Thread: Former Greatness

Why do I feel like super teams are good for the league tho. There will definitely be a ton of nationally televised dub games and they'll get great ratings, this is where all the new money is coming from anyway. Jersey sales probably thru the roof and gsw road games are all gonna sell out. What's the problem?

Hard cap is bad for players but great for fans

It's not really bad for the players if no cap is on max contracts though, you'd finally have players getting paid their worth (stars) and not middle to lower guys getting overpaid anymore. And these GMs would actually have to work to make smart decisions. Do I pay Lebron 60 million and risk losing almost all his supporting cast? I think it'd actually bring some parity to the league and really test how bad these guys want to win. It's easy to leave 1 to 2 mil on the table, but let's see if those same guys can stomach leaving 20 mil a year just for a chance to ring chase.

Last edited:
For a casual fan it is great. And I sort of retract my statement because while a hard cap makes the NFL amazing, it's such a different animal compared to the NBA

But it does suck that at the. Stoning of the year, fans of about 6 teams can be excited and the rest just go through the motions. Very college football like

Last edited:
How that Cp3 trade get blocked exactly? Did Stern literally just flex and say no with no reason?

Hornets were owned by the NBA. The team made a trade without owner approval. It was a dumb 'win-now' trade for the Hornets - so the owners (the other 29 NBA owners) voted against it.

Dudes really think Stern swooped in because he was scared of CP3 playing with a washed up Kobe :lol:

Why do I feel like super teams are good for the league tho. There will definitely be a ton of nationally televised dub games and they'll get great ratings, this is where all the new money is coming from anyway. Jersey sales probably thru the roof and gsw road games are all gonna sell out. What's the problem?
Because they are.

A hard cap would destroy the League and give all the money back to the owners.

It's a Players League right now, and needs to stay that way. 

Who cares if it's at the expense of 25 teams while 5 others eat. 

The players need to get paid, period.  

I won't even start my No Cap at all posts but man, as much as I want this and that as a fan, man *(edit)the fans(myself included) when it comes to some things like Hard Caps

Last edited:

Owners know that super teams and "competitive balance" is something that fans care about. They start using this nonsense to get the average fan on their side during a lockout to squeeze more money out of the players. It happened last time. These guys don't care about that at all.

Hornets were owned by the NBA. The team made a trade without owner approval. It was a dumb 'win-now' trade for the Hornets - so the owners (the other 29 NBA owners) voted against it.

Dudes really think Stern swooped in because he was scared of CP3 playing with a washed up Kobe :lol:

Kobe wasn't washed though. Finished top 5 in MVP voting the next two seasons. And the Lakers were also going to trade Bynum for Dwight, thereby forming a new big 3. But you had Dan Gilbert and Mark Cuban among others *****ing and moaning about it's not fair so Stern nixed it for "basketball reasons". And awarded NO with the number 1 pick next draft for the Saints owner buying the team. It was a total sham.

GOt that Harrison Barnes video playing in the background.

Why is he answering questions about the GSW series and that loss?

I'd be like man FOH with that trash man

Kobe wasn't washed though. Finished top 5 in MVP voting the next two seasons. And the Lakers were also going to trade Bynum for Dwight, thereby forming a new big 3. But you had Dan Gilbert and Mark Cuban among others *****ing and moaning about it's not fair so Stern nixed it for "basketball reasons". And awarded NO with the number 1 pick next draft for the Saints owner buying the team. It was a total sham.

Probably the biggest pile of **** in sports history tbh. Would be like if Watergate went unchecked. Still I'm glad it happened

Saw a article earlier saying that the trade would be,

Griffin to Celtics
Gay to Clippers
Crowder to Kings

Blake has become the most underrated professional athlete in the world.

Someone literally sat down, put this trade together, and felt it was believable enough to share with the world.

blake overrated by NT. But the people actually getting paid to make the decisions, knows he's in the same value category as rudy gay. wattba.

Oh and I knew it too.

Washedness aside. Cuban and others nixed it because they owned the team and it was a dumb trade. The package they got was WAY better at the time.

no sense in crying over spilled milk

new lakers dynasty bout to form

druss

mad handle randle

brandominate

zupac

junior

jc

we gon rise from the ashes

Washedness aside. Cuban and others nixed it because they owned the team and it was a dumb trade. The package they got was WAY better at the time.

No it wasn't. They had given Dell Demps, the GM at the time full power to make personnel decisions. Stern was the one who stopped it in an unprecedented fashion. Gilbert's words consisted of "travesty" that the Lakers would somehow land the best player and save money due to getting rid of Odom & Pau. And continued on with the guise that CP3 leaving would kill the sale value of the Hornets at the time but he still was traded one well later. Odom, Dragic, Kevin Martin, Scola and a 1st from Houston was a far better package than what they ended up with from the Clippers which ended up being Gordon, Kaman, Aminu, and a 1st from Minnesota. They still could have fixed the lottery for NO after the initial trade. But they just wanted to stop the Lakers from pulling another Miami right after the lockout ended.

Last edited:
a04354c3_pels1.jpeg

d384a7dc_houstonrockets.jpeg

500x1000px-LL-8167f6c5_BVL5-keCEAA--ST.jpeg

View media item 2099092
View media item 2099093

Back
Top Bottom