• Cleveland Cavaliers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Golden State Warriors

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here’s Bill Simmon’s recount of the series.

If crooked NBA playoff series were heavyweight boxers, then the 2002 Western finals (Lakers-Kings) was George Foreman and the 2001 Eastern finals (Bucks-Sixers) was Earnie Shavers. Translation: People remember only George, but Earnie was almost as memorable. To briefly recap, Philly’s wins in Games 1 and 4 swung on a controversial lane violation and two egregious no-calls. The Sixers finished with advantages of 186-120 in free throws, 12-3 in technicals and 5-0 in flagrant fouls. Glenn Robinson, one of Milwaukee’s top-two scorers, didn’t even attempt a free throw until Game 5. Bucks coach George Karl and star Ray Allen were fined a combined $85,000 after the series for claiming the NBA rigged it. In that game, Milwaukee’s best big man, Scott Williams, was charged with a flagrant foul but not thrown out, only to be suspended, improbably, for Game 7.

The defining game: When Philly stole a must-win Game 4 in Milwaukee despite an atrocious performance from Iverson (10-for-32 shooting), helped by a 2-to-1 free-throw advantage and a host of late calls. How one-sided was it? When an official called a harmless touch foul to send Sam Cassell to the line with two seconds left and the Bucks trailing by seven (maybe the all-time we-need-to-pad-the-free-throw-stats-so-they-don’t-seem-so-lopsided-afterward call), the subsequent sarcastic standing ovation nearly morphed into the first-ever sarcastic riot. And this was Milwaukee, the most easygoing city in the country! Nobody remembers this. The real loser was Allen, who exploded for 190 points in the series, including a record nine three pointers in do-or-die Game 6. Nobody remembers this, either. Even I didn’t remember it. Crap.

yiikes..this got me retroactively heated

Last edited:
The refs are humans so they do error. But they also hold grudges against certain players and teams.

It is still just funny style the NBA changed Draymond's foul to a flagrant vs the Cavs but didn't upgrade it vs OKC which would have suspended him that series for a more egregious act. That's where the 'rigged' talk gets a little tricky.

That being said not going to matter tonight. Warriors 110 Cavs 100. Swiffer game on Friday.

Tim Donaghy blew the whistle about how vegas, refs, players, coaches, etc., all play a role in "influencing" games and people still doubt...thanks to the NBA doing everything they could to make it appear as if he was an isolated case and a cheat who's word should be taken for granted.

Like mentioned earlier, the word scripted suggests they're playing choreographed basketball which we obviously know is false. However, it doesn't have to be. All it takes is a few "mishaps" here and there to swing a few points here and there.

For all the sports betting heads in here, how many times have you seen a spread covered or blown with a meaningless basket in the closing seconds of a game that's already been decided? That **** ain't random.

So yes, it's real basketball being played...but there is also so funny **** takes place that can't just be chalked up to a ref making "mistakes".
facts

Tim Donaghy blew the whistle about how vegas, refs, players, coaches, etc., all play a role in "influencing" games and people still doubt...thanks to the NBA doing everything they could to make it appear as if he was an isolated case and a cheat who's word should be taken for granted.

Like mentioned earlier, the word scripted suggests they're playing choreographed basketball which we obviously know is false. However, it doesn't have to be. All it takes is a few "mishaps" here and there to swing a few points here and there.

For all the sports betting heads in here, how many times have you seen a spread covered or blown with a meaningless basket in the closing seconds of a game that's already been decided? That **** ain't random.

So yes, it's real basketball being played...but there is also so funny **** takes place that can't just be chalked up to a ref making "mistakes".
I don't about you but, I wouldn't be watching a sport if I knew it was rigged. That's why it's hard to watch wrestling.

fellas, lebron's legacy is on the line tonight 

no it's not. people needa stop that silly *** narrative. dude has already 3 championships x 3 finals MVPs. his "legacy" isn't in question just because they lose this series.

im excited!

either way after the game this thread will be in shambles

being in shambles is the baseline of this thread. with the amount of lebron > MJ comments i've come across, i've reached the conclusion that delusion on NT is homeostasis

Last edited:
being in shambles is the baseline of this thread. with the amount of lebron > MJ comments i've come across, i've reached the conclusion that delusion on NT is homeostasis
or there are just a bunch of people on here who were too young to either see or remember MJ play.

Everyone is clouded by a finals record and some see lebron as possibly the greatest all around player the game has seen.

The only way tonight's game will affect Lebron's legacy in the slightest is if reverts to 2011 Lebron and even then, it doesn't change what he's been able to accomplish.

Everyone is clouded by a finals record and some see lebron as possibly the greatest all around player the game has seen.
My only problem with this is this is deeply discounting the defensive end of the floor where MJ has always been a much better player than Lebron.  Other than that I would agree that Lebron is possibly the greatest offensive all around player of all time

Last edited:
But in EVERY NBA game there's calls that can be attributed to "being rigged" if you look at them from a certain point of view.

How do we feel about Human Error vs Crooked Refereeing
This I can agree with. Every game has suspect calls and mistakes. None of that I believe to be scripted. Supertars get calls or not called every game but i don't think anyone is holding a meeting to determine who's going to win each game. Refs can be biased and hold grudges which can spill over into their whistle the same as a superstar call but again I dont think its a conspiracy with league to do so. So to bring it back if the league is actively determining outcomes of games its stupid to base the idea of a GOAT player on a what essentially is reality basketball.

My only problem with this is this is deeply discounting the defensive end of the floor where MJ has always been a much better player than Lebron.  Other than that I would agree that Lebron is possibly the greatest offensive all around player of all time

This may be true but the level of wing talent is wayyyyyyyy better than it was in MJs era

This may be true but the level of wing talent is wayyyyyyyy better than it was in MJs era
Maybe, but the level of shot blocking talent and overall defense was way better in the MJ era.  Lebron also does not have to deal with handchecking.

Lebron was 287th in the NBA this year in defensive rating putting him in the bottom 50 percentile.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom