2017 NBA Playoffs Thread - CLE @ BOS Game 5 on TNT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes he was, at least in Southern California he was. You weren't alive at that time. You should know this because you don't know. Don't think that just because you read a SI article in '91 with Larry Brown talkn bout Jordan as "the best" he's seen, all of a sudden Kareem wasn't universally recognized as the GOAT.

In '91 Kareem had the record for most MVP's and most points scored in a career which still stand to this day. Not to mention the single most unstoppable basketball move/shot of all time, so unique that nobody except for Magic Johnson can duplicate it.

Foo you missing the point

Some ppl were calling MJ the goat in 91 and making arguments for Jordan being the goat at the time

If some were making arguments for MJ and Magic and Bird being the goat in 91 then how could Kareem be 'Universally' the goat? You not making sense whip, you losing this one :lol:

I'm pretty sure he was in the minority. Just like there were folks putting Bron up there after his 1st one. As the resumé grew with MJ it was more widely accepted like the conversations with Bron now are being taken more seriously than in 2012.

Now it's the minority :lol:

I'm not debating about that. It probably was in the minority but if SI writers were saying that, then it was there and that's all I'm saying

Where I'm 16, or 66 it's right there.

Now it's the minority :lol:

I'm not debating about that. It probably was in the minority but if SI writers were saying that, then it was there and that's all I'm saying

The conversation initially was about universal though so really what are you arguing? Everyone has a GOAT. I'm sure Steph got some people right now or definitely had some last season.

Last edited:
[quote name="nickmaz96"][quote name="Rafabio"]Anyone got a clip of that Love pass to James? :nerd:[/quote]
3o7bu0g89wvrKuEh2w.gif
[/quote]Missed this. That is just... gorgeous.

Yes he was, at least in Southern California he was. You weren't alive at that time. You should know this because you don't know. Don't think that just because you read a SI article in '91 with Larry Brown talkn bout Jordan as "the best" he's seen, all of a sudden Kareem wasn't universally recognized as the GOAT.

In '91 Kareem had the record for most MVP's and most points scored in a career which still stand to this day. Not to mention the single most unstoppable basketball move/shot of all time, so unique that nobody except for Magic Johnson can duplicate it.

Some ppl were calling MJ the goat in 91 and making arguments for Jordan being the goat at the time

If some were making arguments for MJ and Magic and Bird being the goat in 91 then how could Kareem be 'Universally' the goat? You not making sense whip, you losing this one :lol:

Because they missed the boat? Technicalities as the the true definition of "universal" is frivolous. Majorly, and up to a point of proven accolades and ability, Kareem was the one. Jordan was not MJ at that point and was on the same plane as the optimistic views of those in the same era that argued the same about Penny Hardaway, Grant Hill, Kobe Bryant being next GOAT. And now LeBron James. The first three fell short for their own reasons, but we're still witnessing greatness in James, so let's just enjoy it and see how it ends.

Last edited:
The conversation initially was about universal though so really what are you arguing? Everyone has a GOAT. I'm sure Steph got some people right now or definitely had some last season.

All I'm arguing is what I initially said, which was that some were calling Jordan the Goat even in 91 which is true.

There were a couple reputable outlets alluding to Jordan being the Goat at the time, with SI obviously being one of them

If some were making arguments for MJ and Magic and Bird being the goat in 91 then how could Kareem be 'Universally' the goat? You not making sense whip, you losing this one
laugh.gif
Did I dismiss that "some people" considered MJ the GOAT in '91? NO i didn't so sit down before callin me a foo.

What I said was that Kareem, back in '91, was ALMOST UNIVERSALLY considered the GOAT. Which means, that MORE PEOPLE BACK IN '91 BELIEVED THAT KAREEM WAS THE GOAT NOT MJ. 

There were millions of people alive in the U.S back in '91 (you not being one of them). Maybe 10% of the population thought Bird or Magic was the GOAT. Another 9% thought MJ was the GOAT. Guess what though, at least the majority of the NBA fan base back in '91 thought Kareem was the GOAT. How do I know this? Because I was old in '91 and you weren't thought of by your father at that time. End of discussion.

So what does that mean? Yes, Sherlock....most people thought Kareem was the GOAT. Now did I say universally or "almost universally?" Did I say that 100% of the population thought Kareem was the GOAT? Think again and go back to watching the Billboard Awards Clipper fan.

(Old) School is in Session.

Last edited:
I wonder why the Finals can't be moved up this year like info previous seasons?

I'm pretty sure he was in the minority. Just like there were folks putting Bron up there after his 1st one. As the resumé grew with MJ it was more widely accepted like the conversations with Bron now are being taken more seriously than in 2012.
Now it's the minority
laugh.gif

NOBODY HERE IS DENYING that back in '91 a minority of people were considering MJ as the GOAT.

This is what you're completely missing.

And the fact you've said "it PROBABLY WAS in the minority" let's me know you weren't around back then to know therefore you wouldn't know what types of discussions people were having about the GOAT back in '91. 

So when I tell you that Kareem was considered the GOAT back in '91 by the majority of hoops fans, you better believe it. 
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom