2017 NBA Playoffs Thread - CLE @ BOS Game 5 on TNT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you guys co-sign the idea of "voter fatigue" as a way to justify not giving the MVP to guys like Jordan and Bron when they're running the league as a way to diversify MVP winners?

Nah....there are other great players that have great years sometimes. Has nothing to do with voter fatigue.

It's really simple.

Man Larry Brown essentially called him the goat in 91 and Jack said that an argument could be made for him being the goat in 91

Both are right here :lol:

https://www.si.com/nba/2015/03/04/michael-jordan-sportsman-1991-vault-chicago-bulls

I don't need no age to prove this

Saying somebody is the best you've seen play is a different discussion from greatest of all time. Kobe is the best I've seen play but he ain't the GOAT.

That same article says he just may have supplanted Magic as the best player in the league.

Last edited:
Saying somebody is the best you've seen play is a different discussion from greatest of all time. Kobe is the best I've seen play but he ain't the GOAT.

That same article says he just may have supplanted Magic as the best player in the league.

But jack literally was in SI saying that an argument could be made for Jordan being the goat in 91

He wasn't calling him the best he's ever seen.

But jack literally was in SI saying that an argument could be made for Jordan being the goat in 91

He wasn't calling him the best he's ever seen.

Larry Brown did though. You said he said he was essentially calling him the GOAT. That's not the same.

Larry Brown did though. You said he said he was essentially calling him the GOAT. That's not the same.

Okay, so Larry didn't call him the goat. But he said Jordan was the greatest he'd ever seen and that he'd seen all the greats

Do you think Jack at SI was the only guy at the time saying Jordan had a case to be the GOAT even then?

Come on :lol: it's right there and there's more. They were making arguments even then.

Anyone got a clip of that Love pass to James? :nerd:

3o7bu0g89wvrKuEh2w.gif

In '91, KAREEM was almost universally considered the GOAT, although Celtic fans argued back in '91 that it was Russell or Cousy. 
Kareem wasn't universally the goat in 91 man

You were 30 during this time you should know this
laugh.gif
Yes he was, at least in Southern California he was. You weren't alive at that time. You should know this because you don't know. Don't think that just because you read a SI article in '91 with Larry Brown talkn bout Jordan as "the best" he's seen, all of a sudden Kareem wasn't universally recognized as the GOAT.

In '91 Kareem had the record for most MVP's and most points scored in a career which still stand to this day. Not to mention the single most unstoppable basketball move/shot of all time, so unique that nobody except for Magic Johnson can duplicate it.

Okay, so Larry didn't call him the goat. But he said Jordan was the greatest he'd ever seen and that he'd seen all the greats

Do you think Jack at SI was the only guy at the time saying Jordan had a case to be the GOAT even then?

Come on :lol: it's right there and there's more. They were making arguments even then.

I'm pretty sure he was in the minority. Just like there were folks putting Bron up there after his 1st one. As the resumé grew with MJ it was more widely accepted like the conversations with Bron now are being taken more seriously than in 2012.

Remembered the Lakers-Kings series when I saw Webber on this broadcast at the beginning of the game :smh:

He wasn't? Pretty sure Kareem was.
Universally, no.

Ppl were making arguments that Jordan, Magic, and Bird were the goat(s) as well
I said "almost universally." Which means, MOST people thought he was the GOAT at that time.

After the '91 Finals, Magic and Bird had not yet retired, Jordan was still beginning his ascension to legendary status. Dream Team had not yet even been assembled.

Most people saw Kareem's numbers at that time as untouchable. Period.

What he did in high school, college, and the pros when Kareem's basketball career was all said and done in '89 made him the ULTIMATE WINNER. Dude dominated in college and the pros. That's why he was widely considered the GOAT basketball player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom