2017 NBA Playoffs Thread - CLE @ BOS Game 5 on TNT

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's fine but using rings is such lazy analysis. You're really holding 2007 and 2015 against him?

Not a lazy analysis at all. I think it's perfectly fair, to be honest.

2007 he willed his way to an NBA Finals with a premature Cavs team and got beat by a seasoned Spurs team

2011 he got the brakes beaten off him while chocking away an NBA Finals against Dirk

2014 he got the breaks beaten off him again by a vengeful Spurs team who should've won the year before

2015 he lost to a stacked Warriors team while losing his two best players and leading both teams in every statistical category.

These are all the facts from his previous Finals losses, but guess what? History will not remember these caveats. All they will remember is the wins and losses. His Finals record will be held against him. Especially if he wins less than 7 championships.

interesting to see who gets first team going forward
bron, kd, kawhi (quietly building his resume)

We go over this every year, but the way people talk about Finals record incentivizes losing in an earlier round. It continues to not make any logical sense to me.

Possession-by-possession breakdown on Ryan Anderson at the 5

Held up solid on post ups (partly b/c LMA was fading away a few times :lol: ) few wide open threes given up and of course....

San Antonio did very well on dribble drives :lol: . Picked on Ry's deficiencies as a help defender & rim protector.

Gotta give Trez some burn. Almost a 7'4" wingspan, big leaper. He should help.

Definitely can't run 7 guys again.

It was brutal watching that. Ryno has slightly more footspeed to stay with LMA/Pau, and even though you had a chance to win, a 7 man rotation is stupid.

If rings are irrelevant why isn't Stockton Malone, Ewing, Jerry West barkley rated higher. People never Never have them on the top list. Either rings are relevant or not. Using context,{excuses) is nonsense and I'm not one that believes rings are everything

Last edited:
We go over this every year, but the way people talk about Finals record incentivizes losing in an earlier round. It continues to not make any logical sense to me.

Some people would rather have a player not make it to the Finals than to make it then lose I guess.

Like how some people like a QB that has gone 3-0 versus a QB that has gone 5-2

When discussing people who have all reached the finals multiple times, of course record is going to be used to distinguish between who's better.

No one is going to care about context if they see someone go 1-9 in the finals and someone else goes 9-1. They're going to say "9-1 is better".

When discussing people who have all reached the finals multiple times, of course record is going to be used to distinguish between who's better.
No one is going to care about context if they see someone go 1-9 in the finals and someone else goes 9-1. They're going to say "9-1 is better".

For real.

If you've played in 10 NBA Finals, but only won 3-4 times, that says something

Besides baseball, I can't think of any other sport where you're praised for doing something only 30% of the time :rofl:

Last edited:

Right, but in that example someone would have 9 championships and the other guy would have 1. That's not what I'm talking about.

I'm saying for example if Jordan beat the Pistons a couple times in the '80s but lost in the Finals, some people would hold that against him because 6-0 > 6-2. That makes no sense to me. Let some people tell it, it's like it's worse to advance further.

Like, Jordan lost to the Pistons 3 times in a row in the Eastern Conference playoffs, but no one cares. But God forbid he lost in the Finals 3 times in a row, the dumb takes would be flying.

Like, Jordan lost to the Pistons 3 times in a row in the Eastern Conference playoffs, but no one cares. But God forbid he lost in the Finals 3 times in a row, the dumb takes would be flying.
Losing in the big stage is different than losing in the ECF man. C'mon now.

You're just picking at stuff to have a gripe with now
laugh.gif
What are you talking about? What I'm saying is completely logical. You're the one not making any sense here. You're saying it's somehow worse to advance in the playoffs. So it's somehow better to just lose in the first round than lose in the Finals.

I understand counting Finals wins for a players resume but counting Finals losses against a player is dumb. Making it to the Finals isn't an easy task (Unless you're Lebron)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom