2017 Tax Season and Return Thread Vol. Tax Podcast Mixed In?

Have to meet with our tax attorney next week. Hopefully we have paid in all that we owe. :frown:

Accepted
glasses.gif

Can anyone lend some insight as to why I owe money this year.... I worked 2 part time jobs in 2016 and claimed 0 for both. Filed both W2s and ended up owing a few hundred for federal and state taxes. I was under the impression that I would be getting a refund from both jobs. Did my own taxes as I do every year and never ran into this situation. I wish I could say I did something wrong when filing but I'm pretty careful about entering all my info and all that.

If you claim -0- exemptions on your W-4s, and you have no other taxable income other than these (2)W-2s, you should be getting a refund unless your employers didn't report your withholding exemptions correctly with their payroll service. I don't see how you would owe, and honestly I am curious why. Also for Federal purposes, make sure to answer the question about health care coverage because it calculates a tax penalty if you don't state you had health insurance for the entire year.

I got my federal like a week 1/2 ago... still waiting for me state... they playing games lol

My friend told me that TurboTax was about to give him 2000$ , but then he went to a private tax firm nearby and got 5000$ in returns...

they only charged him 250$ for services. :wow: Turbo tax still charge for state if its not your first time.

My friend told me that TurboTax was about to give him 2000$ , but then he went to a private tax firm nearby and got 5000$ in returns...

they only charged him 250$ for services. :wow: Turbo tax still charge for state if its not your first time.

He may get more because they fudged the numbers, but he needs to be careful. He could get a letter from the IRS saying he owes.

they only charged him 250$ for services.
eek.gif
Turbo tax still charge for state if its not your first time.
LMAO. I saw someone on twitter say their checks are getting garnished 15% now for lying on taxes she owes 13K I believe.

Don't know why people want to risk being in IRS trouble. Don't lie on your taxes

Last edited:
If you claim -0- exemptions on your W-4s, and you have no other taxable income other than these (2)W-2s, you should be getting a refund unless your employers didn't report your withholding exemptions correctly with their payroll service. I don't see how you would owe, and honestly I am curious why. Also for Federal purposes, make sure to answer the question about health care coverage because it calculates a tax penalty if you don't state you had health insurance for the entire year.

He may not have paid enough taxes with those 2 part time jobs during the year. The only way to get a refund is to pay the taxes first and get back anything you overpaid.

Last edited:
LMAO. I saw someone on twitter say their checks are getting garnished 15% now for lying on taxes she owes 13K I believe.

Don't know why people want to risk being in IRS trouble. Don't lie on your taxes

All of this. My sister did her taxes with some private firm in the back of Dominican hair solan in the heightz. She use to get back around 3.5k yearly. IRS did a audit on the firm and everybody that did their taxes with them she gets back about $600 now same job.

Last edited:
Refunds are being delayed because they have been slowly implementing better software to catch fudging of information. Many things are reported to the IRS directly so they can catch you easily now without having to do any investigation. And if your deductions and credits seem way out of line for what you do and how much you make they may take the extra time and have someone actually look at it.

In regards to the state being slow, that's nothing new. Many states have stated that it'll be 1-4 months before they send their refunds out. Partially it's to be careful, but the major reason is to prevent fraud.

Fed and state both accepted on the 28th, got my state back 4 days later, fed still showing accepted. I don't have any kids or anything I'm claiming

Getting $1K back from the Feds but I owe my state $5. Claimed 1 for both Federal and State.

Refunds are being delayed because they have been slowly implementing better software to catch fudging of information. Many things are reported to the IRS directly so they can catch you easily now without having to do any investigation. And if your deductions and credits seem way out of line for what you do and how much you make they may take the extra time and have someone actually look at it.

In regards to the state being slow, that's nothing new. Many states have stated that it'll be 1-4 months before they send their refunds out. Partially it's to be careful, but the major reason is to prevent fraud.

That's just unacceptable. It'll be Summer before some people get that money back.

My federal refund should be in on the 15th, completed TT last weekend on the 4th.

Last edited:
Had an awful tax scare but long story short i have about 14,500 more than i thought i had yesterday... wooooot

New car this spring fo sho, the search begins

That's just unacceptable. It'll be Summer before some people get that money back.

And? Should have planned your withholding better honestly. It's smart by then and tackling a big issue.

Back
Top Bottom