2017 Tax Season and Return Thread Vol. Tax Podcast Mixed In?

Submitted on 2/11. Got my federal return today 2/18. Still waiting on mark *** state

Filed on 2/15 & get Federal on 2/23. Went from getting back ~1K last year to $6500 this year.

I'd say my $100 to have it filed for me was well worth it. I've done much worse things with $100 to justify my "laziness" here.

When is the last day to file ? Btw , quick question on tax USA I get an option regarding how much tolls I pay to go to school & work should I include that ?

Last edited:
You don't have to wait for them to mail you the tax transcript.

IF you call and confirm your identity, they'll tell you your AGI.

800-829-1040

Filed mine on the 12th if feb. Still waiting for mine to hit my bank :nerd:

State got accepted jan28th and still haven't received it smh. They playing with my planed trip money smh.

Last edited:
My state came before my federal (still waiting). Is that normal. I live in dc though, so idk

IRS website says it going to be deposited tomorrow
Turbo tax still hasn't updated [emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji]

Last edited:
IRS website says it going to be deposited tomorrow
Turbo tax still hasn't updated [emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji]
It's not going to update, just check your bank account.

Had $1698 coming back for Federal and the IRS took ALL of it to pay back taxes due for 2014 and 2015 smh.  Glad i wasn't banking on that money for anything but it still hurts though lol.

Had $1698 coming back for Federal and the IRS took ALL of it to pay back taxes due for 2014 and 2015 smh.  Glad i wasn't banking on that money for anything but it still hurts though lol.
How do you know they did that for back taxes? IRS had trouble with the filing of my 2014 tax return so I had to re-do it and mail it in via my accountant. When we filed the taxes, I got like a $64 refund from the IRS that I should be getting back so I didn't owe.

I'm scheduled to get like $2700 back and hopefully this doesn't happen to me.

I'm currently volunteering with the VITA program and it's been awesome to 1) learn the tax laws to a basic extent and 2) see money come back to your community via a tax return.

Will likely use the government's program to prep my taxes this year since I have access to it through VITA, but previously have always used TaxACT which is a great option for cheap.

I'm thinking about going to one this year. I usually do mine through turbo tax, but I had some changes in my life last year so I want to be cautious. Me and the wife separated last year, so filing a joint return is out of the question. I don't know if I can file as head of house hold, or if I should file as married filing separate. Plus I had issues with my health coverage, so I feel like I will be penalized for that as well.

My friend told me that TurboTax was about to give him 2000$ , but then he went to a private tax firm nearby and got 5000$ in returns...

they only charged him 250$ for services. :wow: Turbo tax still charge for state if its not your first time.

Sounds fishy, turbo tax is straight forward. I could understand an extra 1k or 1.5k, but 3k more? Nah b.

My ex used to always come and tell how her friends got back this much and that much on their returns. I had to tell her stop worrying about them, you don't know what information they are putting down. ******* be lying about **** on the regular, some of people are on public assistance lying about that. They could be lying about mad **** just to get more of a refund. I aint playing that game because the IRS will eventually figure it out and they will come for their money.

He may get more because they fudged the numbers, but he needs to be careful. He could get a letter from the IRS saying he owes.
Word! **** might be cool right now, but sooner or later they will catch up to you. My coworker with the blessing of her sister claimed 2 or 3 of her kids on last year's returns. I think the sis has like 6 kids. Their plan was to split the refund. Anyway, she files her taxes and gets a nice little refund. IRS swoops in and takes 5 stacks for back taxes for 2013 & 2014. She lucked out because she had enough of a return to repay it. If she did **** the honest way she would be assed out.

LMAO. I saw someone on twitter say their checks are getting garnished 15% now for lying on taxes she owes 13K I believe.

Don't know why people want to risk being in IRS trouble. Don't lie on your taxes

Playing with fire

Last edited:
I'm thinking about going to one this year. I usually do mine through turbo tax, but I had some changes in my life last year so I want to be cautious. Me and the wife separated last year, so filing a joint return is out of the question. I don't know if I can file as head of house hold, or if I should file as married filing separate. Plus I had issues with my health coverage, so I feel like I will be penalized for that as well.

If you're married meaning you still have a valid marriage certificate, you can ONLY file as Married filing separately or a joint married return. You don't qualify for HOH filing status especially if you don't have a dependent.

DO not pay any health insurance penalty and use the unaffordable exemption. The Obamacare mandate is dead

Don't lie on your taxes

:lol: Depends what you're fibbing. Claiming a $3,000 capital loss carryover and you never own any stocks or even have an investment account is a sure way to get those IRS examination letters.

Last edited:
They tell you when you check Wheresmyrefund. I also called and spoke with someone and they told me how much I owed from 14 and what got applied to that

How do you know they did that for back taxes? IRS had trouble with the filing of my 2014 tax return so I had to re-do it and mail it in via my accountant. When we filed the taxes, I got like a $64 refund from the IRS that I should be getting back so I didn't owe.

I'm scheduled to get like $2700 back and hopefully this doesn't happen to me.

They tell you when you check Wheresmyrefund. I also called and spoke with someone and they told me how much I owed from 14 and what got applied to that

Filed last week monday and it got accepted same day, both fed and state hit direct deposit today :pimp:

Still waiting on my last W-2 man 
tired.gif
mean.gif

Back
Top Bottom