2019-20 NFL thread: Thread's dead. Move into spacedoodoo's

Man... what?!?! So he gets demoted back to defensive line coach because he sucked so bad and Rivera takes over the defense. Then next season he’s STILL going to be DC but Ron is still in charge of calling the defense? This ******* franchise man I swear

one thing that fails to get mentioned is KK was 35-40 in 6 years at Tech. The previous 6 years of him arriving? They were 50-27.

Still baffling he can get a HC gig in the pro's.
Front Offices are THIRSTYYYYY for another McVay and on a lesser note Shanahan.

Really McVay tho. Dude is the prince that was promised in many peoples eyes.

So much so that a division rival went out and got the Great Value version of him.

giphy-3.gif

giphy-4.gif

thumb.jpg

I find it a bit funny how so many can have such strong opinions on these coaching decisions.

Look at it the other way, if McVay is at Texas Tech, without Wade Phillips, is he really anything more than KK? All Kliff needs is a very good defensive coordinator and he could be successful.

I think the difference is that McVay was coaching in the NFL for 8 years before he became a head coach.

Can’t think of a recent NFL head coach hire who has less NFL experience than Kingsbury.

It’s different than coaching in the college ranks, schematically different and you have to be a leader of men.

Last edited:
I think the difference is that McVay was coaching in the NFL for 8 years before he became a head coach.

Can’t think of a recent NFL head coach hire who has less NFL experience than Kingsbury.

It’s different than coaching in the college ranks, schematically different and you have to be a leader of men.

That's true. Only thing I'll say to that is KK at least has somewhat of an NFL "playing" experience.

Remember when Jason Garrett was offensive boy genius? :lol: The NFL is always pushing somebody as this "next great coach".

To be fair Baker quit on Kliff because he didn’t want to compete for the starting job. Just to give some sort of insight on why he’s so smug regarding Hue Jackson not appointing him the day 1 starter, this is just what he does.

Yes but Kliff also didn’t automatically award him a scholarship either. He wanted him to compete for one which was nonsensical. Kliff denied it but

1. Baker definitely wasn’t on scholarship at the time of his transfer and
2. Gary Patterson said Kliff didn’t give Baker a scholarship because Baker’s dad is an *** hole.
3. After all this “USC was blocking me” ******** Kliff’s word when it comes to covering his *** is worth zilch.

Baker has no problem going to OU and competing for and taking the job from Trevor Knight who already had “murdering Alabama in a bowl game” on his resume.

Last edited:
I find it a bit funny how so many can have such strong opinions on these coaching decisions.

Look at it the other way, if McVay is at Texas Tech, without Wade Phillips, is he really anything more than KK? All Kliff needs is a very good defensive coordinator and he could be successful.

Gase is a really good coach, in my opinion. Despite driving a lot of Miami's talent out of town, they were competitive. The offense produced without any playmakers to speak of and he got more out of Brock Osweiler than almost anyone would.

Some of these other guys, I don't know much about but were you really all in love with McVay the first go around? Or Nagy?...Pederson? Pretty sure there were major question marks by a lot of people with those decisions. Seems to have worked out. Not all of these guys will hit, just out of probability, but it might not be the ones we think.
I agree with your larger point because not only is it a crapshoot, fans are unbelievably bad at evaluating who is a bad or good coach. And not just in the football, in the NBA too.

It still has to raise eyebrows when you look at the process and teams are hiring anyone and everyone they can who has stood next to a guy that's having success. The process reeks of no diligence. It's the same thing teams are still doing with Belicheck 15 years after Romeo Crenell and Charlie Weis got their first red carpets and it's failed over and over again. Hoping there's some type of magic dust that rubs off.

If they were really having in-depth interviews and doing researching these candidates on their individual merits we'd have MORE unknown/obscure hires, but I bet we'd see more success too.

People should be concerned about this cycle because it looks like a lot of teams circumvented the spirit of the Rooney rule by holding “informal talks” with candidates, to whatever extent that means for each, and then just called in the guy they wanted and signed him at the “formal” interview. It just so happens that the guy for each team seems to be a drinking buddy of Sean McVay’s and the hiring has nothing to do with whether the person is qualified, just that they’re under 45 and white.

I agree with your larger point because not only is it a crapshoot, fans are unbelievably bad at evaluating who is a bad or good coach. And not just in the football, in the NBA too.

It still has to raise eyebrows when you look at the process and teams are hiring anyone and everyone they can who has stood next to a guy that's having success. The process reeks of no diligence. It's the same thing teams are still doing with Belicheck 15 years after Romeo Crenell and Charlie Weis got their first red carpets and it's failed over and over again. Hoping there's some type of magic dust that rubs off.

If they were really having in-depth interviews and doing researching these candidates on their individual merits we'd have MORE unknown/obscure hires, but I bet we'd see more success too.

I c coaching hires like QBs, you need to put the guy in a position to be successful (giving mcvay a dude with HC experience as his DC.. eagles did the same with doug)

For a QB, that means good supporting cast and coaches plus a plan for things

For coaches, I look at Andy Reid, who obviously is a very good coach.. with philly things started going downhill the more quliaty guys within the ranks started leaving for other jobs and then there was the death of Jim Johnson which was huge.. and then poor to extremely poor decisions were made to replace guys.. plus Andy had significant things going on with his home life on top of it

I get swinging for the fences with kliff or dude up in Cleveland.. but more emphasis needs to be put on the whole structure

Also as far as player development, along with giving doug a former HC as his DC, he added reich who had experience in other systems and was also a former QB in the league

Also a huge thing any coach has to have coming in, is the ability and want to adapt.. which is my biggest concern when it comes to the bucs and Arians, which is why I make the thibs/twolves comparison

I found that weird, maybe they mean about how much the Panthers depend on Newton.
The players must be looking at it from the aspect of Cam never having young elite talent around him and for all of his deficiencies he still goes out and put pressure of defenses every drive when healthy.

Back
Top Bottom