2019 NFL Discussion Thread: StaXX talking to himself

Should @Hahahaha be allowed byke?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Teams cut guys all the time after 2 years when they underperform their contract’s worth. Players are told by the team and fans “it’s a business.” Julio outperformed his contract in 2 years. It’s a business right?
absolutely. But he wasnt going to sit out. Lets be real.

Why even have contracts? Lets just put some language in every contract and say "if you outperform your contract, we'll revise it for you."

This dude had 3 MORE YEARS on his deal. Not 1. Half the players in the league will probably outperform their contract.

I'm all for players to get theirs, but when you have 3 more years (not even half way through the contract you agreed to), its hard to feel bad for the player.

Teams cut guys all the time after 2 years when they underperform their contract’s worth. Players are told by the team and fans “it’s a business.” Julio outperformed his contract in 2 years. It’s a business right?

Exactly. Its a two-way street, and if Julio is still performing at an elite level, I dont mind him trying to get elite dollars. Same damn thing as asking for a raise in your job.

Exactly. Its a two-way street, and if Julio is still performing at an elite level, I dont mind him trying to get elite dollars. Same damn thing as asking for a raise in your job.
asking for a raise at your job vs. being under contract at your job is different though. I'm under contract at my job. I can't ask for a raise because its already built in as each year passes. I also can't leave and stay in the industry because of it. Its the bad part of contracts.

The NFL just needs to restructure a bit how long you can be on a rookie contract and the franchise tag and such.

Teams can essentially hold onto a player for 7 years without a new contract. 4 year rookie contract, option for the 5th year, and 2 years of the franchise tag. 7 years! That's your prime right there.

i'd feel more for the players if they actually were willing to show legit force when it came time for the CBA negotiations (dominque foxworth is great on this stuff.. and how funny guys like brees and peyton look in the light when it comes to this stuff, cause they somehow think theyre different and above the other players)

other than that, only power they got is holding out and being willing to miss games.. unless they are willing to go full haynesworth

but as we've seen, the owners are ready willing and able to blackball a player

The NFL just needs to restructure a bit how long you can be on a rookie contract and the franchise tag and such.

Teams can essentially hold onto a player for 7 years without a new contract. 4 year rookie contract, option for the 5th year, and 2 years of the franchise tag. 7 years! That's your prime right there.
I agree with this. You should not be able to franchise a player for more than a year.

I do like the 5 year hold though. Alot of rookies don't really contribute for a couple of years

asking for a raise at your job vs. being under contract at your job is different though. I'm under contract at my job. I can't ask for a raise because its already built in as each year passes. I also can't leave and stay in the industry because of it. Its the bad part of contracts.

Is your contract guaranteed though?

Because my issue with NFL contracts is they may be some of the most 1-sided contracts in any industry. Partial to no guarantees, franchise tagging instead of long term deals, employers can cut players at any time for any reason. If it were fully guaranteed money in there then I would have an issue with what Julio did, but at this point, most of these contracts are a joke.

i think rookie deals should be max 4 years.. maybe do 3 years, with player option for 4th (maybe use the example of the NBA RFA)

and then max you can franchise a guy is twice.. and then put in more tag options, like being able to give someone a 1st or 2nd round tender during that RFA stage

He black as hell.
From Boston, Patriot fan, only ever has white women in his avy...

tenor.gif

:smh:

Is your contract guaranteed though?

Because my issue with NFL contracts is they may be some of the most 1-sided contracts in any industry. Partial to no guarantees, franchise tagging instead of long term deals, employers can cut players at any time for any reason. If it were fully guaranteed money in there then I would have an issue with what Julio did, but at this point, most of these contracts are a joke.
No, if i get fired, they don't have to pay me out. I'll get a severance.

And yes, NFL contracts are ridiculous. Everyone will agree with that, when it comes to how other sports pay. Everything you said, I agree with. I just don't agree with someone wanting to renegotiate when their current deal isn't even half way done.

And if the NFL ever made contracts guaranteed, the players would be making much less. There's no way teams would give out this type of money if it was guaranteed. So its a double edge sword for the players.

Think about a running back that enters the league at 21 or 22. Your whole career is pretty much dictated by the team that drafts you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom