2020-21 NBA Offseason thread: Officially a wrap

Random thought: Why is it that when people use the phrase "two-way player" or "one of the best two-way players in the league" they almost universally think of guards and wing players? Giannis and Anthony Davis are easily the best two-way players in the league when you account for their offensive and defensive impact but no one ever mentions them in that category. People automatically think of Kawhi, PG, etc. Is it because AD and Giannis are bigs?

Because the bigs usually don't have the requisite skills on offense to be elite on the upper echelon of the scorers. Giannis and AD do. They're unicorns.

Random thought: Why is it that when people use the phrase "two-way player" or "one of the best two-way players in the league" they almost universally think of guards and wing players? Giannis and Anthony Davis are easily the best two-way players in the league when you account for their offensive and defensive impact but no one ever mentions them in that category. People automatically think of Kawhi, PG, etc. Is it because AD and Giannis are bigs?

Big man bias for sure

Historically, bigs have been viewed as being less skilled offensively.

Also, they were typically less versatile defensively.

Which is why the term has mostly been used on SF/SG, or mid sized players that showed the ability to both guard multiple positions (1-3) while also showing a versatile offensive game.

That isn't to say big have never been both offensively and defensively dominant (Think Hakeem), but their games were always viewed as less versatile than those mid-sized players.

I don’t even like the term “two-way player.”

No one player can't be bigger than THIS.

Wish I was born earlier to get to see Magic play at his best but damn getting to see Bean, Shaq, Pau, Bron and AD all in some semblance of their prime and all win chips. What a time. Best franchise in American sports.
You would've enjoyed watching Magic from '80 to '88 just as much I'm sure. I was sayin the same **** back then "What a time"

YouTube videos of highlights and past games won't do it justice.

But it's hard to beat 20 years of Black Mamba for sure. But Magic's 8 years from 80 to 88 were much better than Shaq's 96 to 04 imo

Gon to my car, shoot everybody

mqdefault.jpg

Media narratives...

Wing players are more ‘sexy’ so they tend to get more credit.

The on court impact for AD and freak speaks for itself though.

Joel can also be in that conversation if he can get his **** together.

I just read Mitchell Robinson switched agents again. It's his sixth agent in three years. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom