2022 NBA Offseason Thread: Preseason kicks off; Things are fine in Los Angeles, Draymond beats the charges

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you were an adolescent I see.

How in the hell have you never been a Soccer fan? How’d you miss that? :lol:

I swear every 1st generation Jamaican I knew growing up and played team basketball with loved the sport.

They were the only guys on the Basketball team I could converse with it about it :lol:
I can't speak for Anti but I moved to the states at 13, in 1999, from the Caribbean

I was a massive soccer fan, I went to an academy, was on my school's team, and played for Lucia in a couple of youth events.

In Lucia it is easy to be a soccer fan, we have ESPN Deportes, and in the 90s they showed all the major soccer games. Spanish, English, Brazil, Italian, when Ajax was popping all their games were on TV. There were replay shows. For all the games that were not there, our local channels just pirated the games. Soccer was all around you.

I played soccer at lunchtime every day in school. If we couldn't use a ball, we put some rocks in a plastic soda bottle and used that on a hard surface.

But when I moved to the states, it was really hard to follow and play soccer on the regular. It wasn't on TV, hardly on regular ESPN, internet streaming wasn't a thing, and playing soccer was restricted to either spring in school, or playing hundreds to join a club team (money my mom didn't have). Plus none of my friends we into it in the states and my dad and uncles weren't around.

It was easy for it to fade outta my mind.

Basketball, which I already liked, was much easier to stay involved in while being in a lower-middle-class household

Last edited:
Might be the only day everyone is on the same side of an antidope antidope take
wow.png

Cherish it brehs
thanos-marvel.gif

Yup yall feel it man. America and their weird turning their nose up at soccer thing while handegg is praised and celebrated even while it continues to turn people's brains to porridge is why that happens.

Pops always found a way to get the games on TV. Big matches/tournaments are always on one of the Spanish channels. Had us in soccer year round too. I loved playing it growing up, not so much watching it tho. Now, I'll watch big games or tournaments. I'll catch some highlights on youtube here and there.

I can't speak for Anti but I moved to the states at 13, in 1999, from the Caribbean

I was a massive soccer fan, I went to an academy, was on my school's team, and played for Lucia in a couple of youth events.

In Lucia it is easy to be a soccer fan, we have ESPN Deportes and in the 90s all the major soccer games. Spanish, English, Brazil, Italian, when Ajax was popping all their games were on TV. There were replay shows. For all the games that were not there, our local channels just pirated the games. Soccer was all around you.

I played soccer at lunchtime every day in school. If we couldn't use a ball, we put some rocks in a plastic soda bottle and used that on a hard surface.

But when I moved to the states, it was really hard to follow and play soccer on the regular. It wasn't on TV, hardly on regular ESPN, internet streaming wasn't a thing, and playing soccer was restricted to either spring in school, or playing hundreds to join a club team (money my mom didn't have). Plus none of my friends we into it in the states and my dad and uncles weren't around.

Basketball, which I already liked, was much easier to stay involved in while being in a lower-middle-class household

I feel you. I was born here but always loved Soccer because my Dad. He’d bring me on weekends to watch the European games and I fell in love.

But it was extremely difficult to find places to play. So I gravitated to playing Basketball and Baseball.

I still remember Freshman year of HS telling my pops “Dad I’m a decent baseball player, I’m going to play this Spring..”

Man wanted to disown me right then and there :lol:

Basketball he never had an issue with. He got it and understood why I gravitated to it. He’s not a fan of the game but he appreciates it. He understands it.

Yeah I loved soccer too but moving here back in the day there just wasn't anywhere to watch it so my love fell off. Now you can even watch Jamaican league matches, crazy.

This generation right now. The “iShowSpeed” generation I’m calling it, they’re into it. They’re watching - just not playing.

My dad went out of his way to watch the games and then he owned up a bar of his own so I was lucky to catch all the games in our league.

So the problem for me wasn’t the watching part. That never left me. It’s the system on the grass roots level.

Yup yall feel it man. America and their weird turning their nose up at soccer thing while handegg is praised and celebrated even while it continues to turn people's brains to porridge is why that happens.
It’s definitely weird because in a lot of areas of the U.S., particularly the suburbs, more kids play youth soccer than football. But for whatever reason that youth participation doesn’t usually translate to American people going on to be pro soccer fans.

It’s definitely weird because in a lot of areas of the U.S., particularly the suburbs, more kids play youth soccer than football. But for whatever reason that youth participation doesn’t usually translate to American people going on to be pro soccer fans.
When I doubt.. Cite racism and you will be right 90%+ of the time. American football is the only major sport where they can still gatekeep and make a white dude the face/most important person at any given moment.

The term Black Quarterback is still viewed like it's a rainbow or something rare. Cooper Kupp is a white wide receiver that's even more rare than a black QB but yet...

Those suburban Soccer Mom leagues aren’t real football.

Coaching is terrible, training terrible, there are no real qualified people to teach them the game.

It’s just a huge hustle to steal money from Suburban folks and parents are fine with it because it gives the kids something to do.

Those suburban Soccer Mom leagues aren’t real football.

Coaching is terrible, training terrible, there are no real qualified people to teach them the game.

It’s just a huge hustle to steal money from Suburban folks and parents are fine with it because it gives the kids something to do.
Having played in those leagues for years, can confirm all that :lol:

The kids who are really good and want to play soccer seriously go to “club” teams instead of AYSO.

my 10 year old nephew has played soccer, basketball and baseball since he was 4 years old
hes a tall kid (over 5 ft. ) , but i tell my bro not to put him in peewee leagues.
if anything, football could be there for him come HS
but def not now
going full antidope antidope and gonna go on the record, the kid can transition into football a lot easier than any of the other sports

Having played in those leagues for years, can confirm all that :lol:

The kids who are really good and want to play soccer seriously go to “club” teams instead of AYSO.

And those club/travel Soccer teams are even bigger hustlers sometimes. :lol:

It’s sad man….

This whole country needs a complete RESET on the game.

Due to the half-***/fraudulent nature of AYSO, the first time I saw “real” futbol being played I was surprised that the goalie was tall and athletic and not an overweight guy :lol: :frown:

It wasn't on TV, hardly on regular ESPN, internet streaming wasn't a thing, and playing soccer was restricted to either spring in school, or playing hundreds to join a club team (money my mom didn't have). Plus none of my friends we into it in the states and my dad and uncles weren't around.

Basically what happened with me. I loved watching it but you had to watch on the spanish channels since it never aired on any english, there was no one to talk about it with and almost no one played.

Basketball was always on, everyone talked about it, there were courts everywhere and I was already interested in it too. It was an easy transition to focus on basketball full-time. Kept playing FIFA for a while though.

Top 20 what?

RJ Barrett’s floor is Jimmy Butler???
Just who exactly do you think Jimmy Buckets was at 21 yrs old?

I really have them comp’d for a physical profile similarity but RJ has that whole Kobe mentality thing going so he’s always been more agressive of a scorer.

In any case, of the top 3 picks in 2019 he’s poised to have the longest run at the very least. Draft could not have panned out much better.

NT needs a reminder function like Reddit.

Pls post his finishing stats again btw.

my 10 year old nephew has played soccer, basketball and baseball since he was 4 years old
hes a tall kid (over 5 ft. ) , but i tell my bro not to put him in peewee leagues.
if anything, football could be there for him come HS
but def not now
going full antidope antidope and gonna go on the record, the kid can transition into football a lot easier than any of the other sports

Football is by far the easiest sport to transition to, it’s not even close.

There is absolutely no need to put kids in the Pop Warner Pre-Concussion league.

Not doing it to my future, no way. And I probably wouldn’t let him play HS Football either, honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom