2022 OFFICIAL NBA PLAYOFF THREAD - NBA FINALS TIME - GS 4-2 - STEVE GETS #4……ON NT - SUMMER JAM SCREEN RECEIPTS INCOMING……

Status
Not open for further replies.
There CANNOT be a tier 1 list of all-time NBA players that doesn't include Earvin Magic Johnson, you know who to take off...

you definitely can and should,

Magic was mostly a non factor on defense.
it is just totally implausible to say that Magics offense alone

is worth more than the offensive and defensive impact of 4 guys I mentioned.

we're talking about the greatest basketball player of all time, you have to impact both sides of the ball.

TATUM IS AVERAGING 34% FG PERCENTAGE?!?
D134C6AF-D518-4191-B591-02B653116180.jpeg

Last edited:
Osh loves them old guys. I know Russell is a legend, no doubt, but him Wilt, Oscar, Jerry West gotta be in their own wing. Game and league is way too different.

Magic is DEF a tier 1 guy as well though.

When do we start? whats the cut off?

you guys act like russell was playing on peach baskets with James Naismith.
Russell won a championship in 1969 as an old man.

Kareem was in the NBA the next year, if Russell as an old man was dominant defensively in 1969.
prime russell obviously would have dominated the 1970's.

im not saying that all old players don't deserve skepticism.
of course the further you go back it's harder to compare.

but people just like exaggerate the difference, because they don't want to look it up

im not talking about Geroge Mikan here.
Bill Russell didn't play THAT long ago. he intersected with players that played in the 70's and were effective.

be skeptical of Russell but I assure you if you just look into the numbers and the performance relative to the league.
post 1960's when basketball essentially becomes reasonably close to normal basketball

the scale of Russell dominance on defense is nutty
the 64 celtics were 10 points better than league average defense.

even if you want to scratch some of that away do to the pre modern nature of basketball at that time, it's still absurd.
he was that good, and it's an insult to the game to not have him in the top tier.

That Steph performance yesterday was legendary :pimp:
I gotta give Wiggins some props too. Looney did his thing too. Everyone contributed just enough to chip in with Steph’s all time game.

Best of 3 now. Celtics are a great road team and good coming off Ls so they can win game 5 but if they lose the series game 4 is going to be a tough pill to swallow.

Regardless of the results of this series it’s Steph>>KD. If Steph wins, he simply becomes teflon like Bron. Everything they do is from here on out is just extra cherries and whip cream on top.

And if Wardell loses and KD wins it all next season?

If he wins sure, he's teflon. But that has to matter cause them been the rules for everybody else.

Ppl forget KD has AVERAGES of 30/8/5 on 55/45/91 for his finals career.

you definitely can and should,

Magic was mostly a non factor on defense.
it is just totally implausible to say that Magics offense alone

is worth more than the offensive and defensive impact of 4 guys I mentioned.

we're talking about the greatest basketball player of all time, you have to impact both sides of the ball.
You must not have watched Magic from 1979-1985, especially the one from 80-82 that led the L in steals back to back years averaging an eye opening 3 per game. He may not have been on the level of a Jordan on defense but let's not act like Magic was a pushover defensively. Young Magic was quick enough in his younger years to intercept passing lanes and gets his hand on balls to get steals and ignite fast breaks. And he was all intense, and a big time player who never shied away from the spotlight in the biggest of stages.

All time Greatness isn't just about individual skill and talent. A large part of being on the GOAT list is the ability to make others around you better so that the team can win the ultimate prize - a championship. And to this point Russell is certainly worthy of being on a top 10 list. But a lot of people won't put him on their list cause Bill's and Wilt's heydey isn't considered modern era (1980-2022) whereas Kareem won chips in BOTH Wilt/Russell's era and Bird/Magic/Jordan's era.

To not include Magic in tier 1 is insane. 5 chips, 9 finals appearances...all from 80-91. Dominance.

Last edited:
steph has some of the best per game stats ever in the finals.....are people really acting as if he is a role player?

the warriors upset the cavs that year, and iggy stepping up and guarding lebron was a huge reason for that but that doesnt mean he was ever better than steph. EXACTLY like the year when tony paker won MVP over HOF Tim Duncan....... there are at least 5 examples of this.....finals MVP might be given to a player who STEPS up in a way that is above their regular season self......THAT type of performance sticks out to voters....

no one in their right mind that voted for iggy would say they take iggy over steph.......for a game, for a season etc

and by the way first playoff series ever for steph? vs iggys nuggets(3 seed vs 6 seed)...stephs warriors were the road team so i'd guess they were underdogs for the series....what happens? he only avg 24 and 9 and shot 44% from 3....and they won in 6, game 6 on the road....

and i'm a steph hater.....I still hope C's pull this out

bye
Kellerman would beg to different

Celts have to let marchus smaht be the primary point guard. Tatum and brown has to play off the ball. They need movement and less iso. Ime udoka really let them die by the three

Steph is unbelievable. He really changed the way game is played. His opponents just panic when they see a couple go in and respond by jacking up threes. Chef would have had 50 plus if refs called it fairly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom