2022 OFFICIAL NBA PLAYOFF THREAD - NBA FINALS TIME - GS 4-2 - STEVE GETS #4……ON NT - SUMMER JAM SCREEN RECEIPTS INCOMING……

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think part of the reason people don’t recognize Stephs greatness like they should is due to him being a finesse player. He’s not the type of dude that’s gonna posterize anyone or built like some physical freak that stands out. He’s the best shooter we’ve ever seen and makes it look so easy to where we almost expect it now.

Off the court he’s not super polarizing either in terms of being outspoken about everything. Good for him while so many superstars are constantly on social media and he just goes and balls out.

And no this isn’t an attack on him, just an observation as to why people can never seem to recognize the greatness we get to witness

was the celtics really 13-0 this season before the last game with that one ref or did someone lie like they did with the scott foster stat?

You must not have watched Magic from 1979-1985, especially the one from 80-82 that led the L in steals back to back years averaging an eye opening 3 per game. He may not have been on the level of a Jordan on defense but let's not act like Magic was a pushover defensively. Young Magic was quick enough in his younger years to intercept passing lanes and gets his hand on balls to get steals and ignite fast breaks. And he was all intense, and a big time player who never shied away from the spotlight in the biggest of stages.

All time Greatness isn't just about individual skill and talent. A large part of being on the GOAT list is the ability to make others around you better so that the team can win the ultimate prize - a championship

To not include Magic in tier 1 is insane. 5 chips, 9 finals appearances...all from 80-91. Dominance.

1. Magic Johnson was not a great defensive player this is a non controversial obvious statement.
he was not considered so at the time as evidence by his lack of all-defensive teams

but even if you assume his contemporaries were wrong,
his coaches clearly didn't think he was a great defender, they would put him on the worst offensive perimeter player.

he didn't have much vertical explosion so he offered zero rim protection. he was good at one thing, getting steals.
but so was Larry Bird and while he better than Magic on d, no one things of him as a great defender.

2. we are not comparing him to average players. were comparing him to the goats, and it's clear certainly far worse on defense than every other player I mentioned on that list.

even if I thought Magic is the greatest offensive player ever. it's just not reasonable to conclude he was soooo much better than Jordan, LeBron, Kareem that it makes up for the sizable gap between them on defense.

3. This is a goat debate. all the guys I mentioned won lots of championships. I didn't compare him to tracy mcgrady or something. :lol:

I think part of the reason people don’t recognize Stephs greatness like they should is due to him being a finesse player. He’s not the type of dude that’s gonna posterize anyone or built like some physical freak that stands out. He’s the best shooter we’ve ever seen and makes it look so easy to where we almost expect it now.

Off the court he’s not super polarizing either in terms of being outspoken about everything. Good for him while so many superstars are constantly on social media and he just goes and balls out.

And no this isn’t an attack on him, just an observation as to why people can never seem to recognize the greatness we get to witness
For this same reason why Kareem is often not mentioned as being the GOAT.

1. Magic Johnson was not a great defensive player this is a non controversial obvious statement.
he was not considered so at the time as evidence by his lack of all-defensive teams

but even if you assume his contemporaries were wrong,
his coaches clearly didn't think he was a great defender, they would put him on the worst offensive perimeter player.

he didn't have much vertical explosion so he offered zero rim protection. he was good at one thing, getting steals.
but so was Larry Bird and while he better than Magic on d, no one things of him as a great defender.

2. we are not comparing him to average players. were comparing him to the goats, and it's clear certainly far worse on defense than every other player I mentioned on that list.

even if I thought Magic is the greatest offensive player ever. it's just not reasonable to conclude he was soooo much better than Jordan, LeBron, Kareem that it makes up for the sizable gap between them on defense.

3. This is a goat debate. all the guys I mentioned won lots of championships. I didn't compare him to tracy mcgrady or something. :lol:
I never said Magic was a "great" defensive player LOL.

Most lists will include Magic top 5 all time so yeah, I disagree with your assessment

TATUM IS AVERAGING 34% FG PERCENTAGE?!?
D134C6AF-D518-4191-B591-02B653116180.jpeg

If they lose the series he coming to the post game presser with ice strapped to his shoulder like he just pitched 7 innings.

I never said Magic was a "great" defensive player LOL.

Most lists will include Magic top 5 all time so yeah, I disagree with your assessment

well i named 4 guys, so you can put him at 5 if you want. no disagreement from me.

if you don't think he's a great defender, there in lies your problem.
the other 4 guys were great defenders at the peaks of their career.

so for Magic to be better than those guys the gap between him and the rest on offence has to be bigger than the gap on defence.

and that just seems totally implausible.

magic johnson is great. he's in the convo for greatest offensive player ever, but cmon the gap between him and say Michael Jordan is not bigger than the gap between them on defense.

For this same reason why Kareem is often not mentioned as being the GOAT.

True. A casual fan watching basketball could watch Steph play and think “wow he’s a great shooter” and that’s the end of it. They won’t realize how much he’s changed the game and just how much other teams throw at him when he has the ball.

It’s a shame too

I think part of it is the 3 focused nature of his game.
it feels to some people like a gimmick and quirk of the rules.

but people don't realize the degree to which the rules have always determined who the best and most effective players of each era are.

Bill Russell played under rules that perfectly suited to a vertical rim protector basketball genius.
Michael Jordan played under rules perfectly suited to isolation scorer.
Kareem played under rules perfectly suited to a post up center.

ect ect ect

Draymond…. Dennis Rodman, Marcellus Wiley, etc. are all outspoken figures in the media (Dray and Marcellus)… Rodman’s lifestyle was always highly publicized….

But none of them are deemed GOATs or in any top 5-10 lists. So no, it’s not about their personal lives.

Kareem (other than Lebron) is the most SUCCESSFUL high school, college and PROFESSIONAL basketball player ever. Maybe athlete.

He was ELITE on all 3 levels.

Basically what I’m saying is, their are plenty athletes in the media who are probably more outgoing, talkative or draw attention to themselves more than Steph, but are no where near as great as he was. So you just said a bunch of nothing

It’s all about the eye test and numbers.

Based off their physique and looking at them play, wilt, bill Russell, Kareem etc would’ve been good in any decade. 90s, 2000s, 2010s, 2020s, so on, and so forth

Wiggins has been real good all postseason. Especially defensively.

Im surprised Kerr hasn’t thrown Kuminga out there for some length and athleticism. Not sure if he’s hurt.

I have a feeling it's due to his inexperience on the defensive end, as well as playing with the starters. I don't think Kerr trusts him to be out there playing meaningful minutes.

Draymond…. Dennis Rodman, Marcellus Wiley, etc. are all outspoken figures in the media (Dray and Marcellus)… Rodman’s lifestyle was always highly publicized….

But none of them are deemed GOATs or in any top 5-10 lists. So no, it’s not about their personal lives.

Kareem (other than Lebron) is the most SUCCESSFUL high school, college and PROFESSIONAL basketball player ever. Maybe athlete.

He was ELITE on all 3 levels.

Basically what I’m saying is, their are plenty athletes in the media who are probably more outgoing, talkative or draw attention to themselves more than Steph, but are no where near as great as he was. So you just said a bunch of nothing

It’s all about the eye test and numbers.

Based off their physique and looking at them play, wilt, bill Russell, Kareem etc would’ve been good in any decade. 90s, 2000s, 2010s, 2020s, so on, and so forth

Can you read or nah?

Why would you put Draymond and Rodman in the same sentence with Steph? How you gonna totally ignore their on the court abilities and just base it off their outspokenness?

Look at Lebron’s outspokenness and how he is always in the media/news. Steph is nowhere near as outspoken as Lebron, I’m saying that’s why regular people don’t know who he is compared to people so outspoken.

My man you just said a bunch of nothing comparing bum *** Draymond or Marcellus f*cking Wiley to Steph :smh:

Lawd I can’t.

No one seriously thinks Bron THE goat

He’s top 3-5

Not even the biggest Lebron stan would put him over Jordan.

All players getting held to the same standard

Lebron on Mt. Rushmore of Basketball

Steph ain’t, he a couple tiers below
Curry is 1 billion percent on Mt Rushmore. You're wild'n. He's as iconic as anyone ever before him. He literally changed the way ball is played for generations to come. Same way Mike did. Same way a.i. did. Same way Kobe did.

No shade to bron. He's as amazing as they come too. But no amount of practice will give someone his physical gifts to change the game for everyone else moving forward. His style really just works for him. Bron changed the game by wanting to stack the deck and wanting all star teams.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom