2023 MLB Thread; Say Hey, everybody: Rest In Power, Willie

They don't know how to bunt is what I keep hearing. Especially guys like Gallo. They don't bother teaching it to power hitters and the players don't bother to practice it. I think that's a problem -- moreso an annoyance. I'd bunt all day in that situation and not give a crap about it.

It's much easier to make contact with a bunt than a check swing in my opinion.

Facts. ****, I would bunt on strike 2 with a shift like that :lol: .

an major league batter that can't bunt in a shift situation is just insane to me. i almost equate it to an nba shooter that can't make freethrows. yes i know, it's not totally apples to apples...but c'mon man.

i remember when ortiz finally laid one down when facing a shift and i literally yelled, "hallelujah!"

if you got a lead or need a baserunner...why the hell not? not every time, sure. but there are times you're OK with a power guy just getting on.

I remember when Mark Teixeira was with the Yankees he said he never bunted to beat the shift cause that's what they want you to do. The defense wants to take the bat out of the hands of a middle of the order power hitter.

Makes sense in a vacuum. I don't agree with the the approach myself though. I always prescribe to the idea that being an all around player is better and more beneficial in the long run to doing just one thing great.

You can win so many ways in baseball that just trying to mash a HR all the time doesn't play the odds very well versus if you know how to execute situational baseball.

I wouldn't be happy if Boone made Judge or Stanton bunt against a shift. Sure they might get a single out of it but they have potential to hit it 500'.

Gallo successfully bunted against our shift last series. Rangers don't want him to bunt because it takes the bat out of his hands (I think his HRs are actually distributed across all fields). Analytics show that he's better off trying to blast an XBH or HR than getting a measly single. Plus he isn't good at it either so it would fall right into an opposing team's strategy.

If you're not a good bunter, the statistics will always say it's better to take their chances at hacking. It's the fundamental approach of it all. Specifically the individual player. If they were more well rounded, analytics would paint a different picture.

#FreedeGrom

Unbelievable

deGrom deserves better

Alderosn is the problem. We need a modern general manager, not old school GM

It might be pointless anyways when Wilpons are running the organization

Last edited:
I wouldn't be happy if Boone made Judge or Stanton bunt against a shift. Sure they might get a single out of it but they have potential to hit it 500'.

Judge more likely to strike out than hit the ball at all (bunt or hack)...so midas whale let him hack

Whoever is responsible for teaching Nats prospects to run the bases should be fired ... We don't have a single prospect fundamentally sound on the basepaths ... The **** is disgusting ...

Hard to believe Juan Soto is only 19 and possesses such a great approach at the plate.

Off the charts.

Legend in the making.

It was great listening to the Yankees broadcoast team react to Soto’s blast. They were in awe. Never seen someone reach that part of the park.

Last edited:
1st HR was probably more impressive, to be honest. That is a routine, shallow pop fly for the majority of the league, including the mashers.

Whoever is responsible for teaching Nats prospects to run the bases should be fired ... We don't have a single prospect fundamentally sound on the basepaths ... The **** is disgusting ...
Not just the prospects, whole team gets thrown out a ton. Happened all spring training and has carried over.

Soto is a stud. All but one of his homers have come off big league lefties. Has more walks than strikeouts so far. Can’t take him out of the lineup...Michael Taylor getting traded or demoted soon.

If Soto and Robles can actually live up to their potential, might not make as much sense to pay for Bryce...

Back
Top Bottom