2023 Official MLB Season Thread

Does having a giant pool of undrafted FAs due to dropping from 40 to 5 rounds help or hurt these kids? Either it gives them more options/freedom to sign with teams, or its less opportunities to have a secure spot

LOVED that we picked up a lefty. Loved that we picked up a pitcher period, but obviously a lefty makes me even more happy.

Does having a giant pool of undrafted FAs due to dropping from 40 to 5 rounds help or hurt these kids? Either it gives them more options/freedom to sign with teams, or its less opportunities to have a secure spot
Considering most teams bring in 30+ kids in each year, there will be spots to fill. But they can only sign for $20,000, limits who will take it. Most likely the older college kids will take it because they want to start their career. High school kids will prob go to JUCO or college to get drafted in a normal draft. But it opens up kids to pick what team they might like more. If the Astros, Rays or Dodgers call, you might pick them over a team that typically doesn’t develop talent as well. These college coaches are going to be in weird spot. Players are getting an extra year of eligibility, add that to the players coming in. The scholarships not opening up that they were planning on. They only get about 12 full rides to split between 30 players.

Last edited:
Considering most teams bring in 30+ kids in each year, there will be spots to fill. But they can only sign for $20,000, limits who will take it. Most likely the older college kids will take it because they want to start their career. High school kids will prob go to JUCO or college to get drafted in a normal draft. But it opens up kids to pick what team they might like more. If the Astros, Rays or Dodgers call, you might pick them over a team that typically doesn’t develop talent as well. These college coaches are going to be in weird spot. Players are getting an extra year of eligibility, add that to the players coming in. The scholarships not opening up that they were planning on. They only get about 12 full rides to split between 30 players.

Makes sense, thanks. I was under the assumption that the 5 round draft was permanent but I just looked it up and it was only for this year, moving forward it'll be 20 rounds. I could see some HS grads who would've gone in the lower rounds going the JUCO route and being one-and-done. I imagine JUCO coaches would have their pick, I also just saw that draft rules require players from 4 year colleges are stuck there until after their junior year. If a player was still choosing between signing or going to a 4 year college, they probably weren't projected to be that high of a pick and are set on school now.

Hmm...

ComposedAssuredInvisiblerail-size_restricted.gif

If it's more than using the replay room in 2015 & bullpen phone in 2017, punish the franchise accordingly.

yankees been cheating just like the other squads...their fans conveniently "mis-remember" though just like some of their legends. ***** with only cheating a little :lol:

Back
Top Bottom