2023 Official MLB Season Thread

I need some more back story on this
sabu.png

Just watches this on ESPN and i thought it was about the coach actually doing the elbow bump. I was confused af like hold up we were doing that cpl months ago when i was still playing in my league. When the hell that become offensive?

Now i see the dude in front of other coach. :stoneface: :smh:

Dude's non-apology is almost worse than the gesture itself link

That’s what you got from his apology and from watching the video? I didn’t get that vibe at all, nor from his apology.
Even the Coach in front of him caught himself going for the hi-five and not the bump.
It looks like he was intentionally but “accidentally” trying to sneak in a highfive when he knew it was the elbow bump. In the middle of all that he made what turned out to be an awkward gesture that resulted in the Nazi salute. Perhaps a little embarrassed he did it a second time poking fun at himself while again realizing ‘man, I just threw up the Nazi sign’ he actually throws it up again as more proof he’s just a goofy with no charm as opposed to an outright undercover racist.
Just a poor execution of a man with no couth trying to be funny. Seeing the video for The first time That’s the deduction I arrived at, and watching it several times after and noticing even the Coach In front of him slip up with the hifive, it solidified what to me is an awkward attempt at being funny.
His apology sounded like an apology from a guy who didn’t take it too serious because he knows who he is, not a fake apology from a SWS.
That’s my take.
Today’s climate changes nothing on my opinion being that, but I’m sure it changed his outlook on how big of a mistake he really made. With the internet, he’s never going to live this down in the eyes of many, even if he meant nothing by it. I say apology accepted, move on.

Last edited:
That’s what you got from his apology and from watching the video? I didn’t get that vibe at all, nor from his apology.
Even the Coach in front of him caught himself going for the hi-five and not the bump.
It looks like he was intentionally but “accidentally” trying to sneak in a highfive when he knew it was the elbow bump. In the middle of all that he made what turned out to be an awkward gesture that resulted in the Nazi salute. Perhaps a little embarrassed he did it a second time poking fun at himself while again realizing ‘man, I just threw up the Nazi sign’ he actually throws it up again as more proof he’s just a goofy with no charm as opposed to an outright undercover racist.
Just a poor execution of a man with no couth trying to be funny. Seeing the video for The first time That’s the deduction I arrived at, and watching it several times after and noticing even the Coach In front of him slip up with the hifive, it solidified what to me is an awkward attempt at being funny.
His apology sounded like an apology from a guy who didn’t take it too serious because he knows who he is, not a fake apology from a SWS.
That’s my take.
Today’s climate changes nothing on my opinion being that, but I’m sure it changed his outlook on how big of a mistake he really made. With the internet, he’s never going to live this down in the eyes of many, even if he meant nothing by it. I say apology accepted, move on.

I think we're viewing this through similar lenses but we fundamentally disagree on a couple of interpretations. I think both the initial Nazi solute and the follow up were 100% intentional, and intended as a relatively harmless joke.

To me the fumbled high five excuse is garbage. It doesn't make any sense. No one naturally high fives by holding their arm rigidly at a 45 degree angle. No one attempts a subtle high five that way either.

Trust me, the dude knows how to give a subtle high five. It a non-COVID environment, there are actually some fairly common situations where you would intend to give an athlete a high five that wasn't obvious.

It's funny you bring up the coach standing in front, THAT'S what an actual fumbled elbow/high five looks like. Just fundamentally different body language and actions. :lol:

I'm critical of Christenson's "appology" because to me, pulling the "I blacked out" card in this situation is cowardly. I've always held that position in past similar situations.

Severely intoxicated people blackout. People who've been drugged black out. People in situations of extreme duress blackout. "I blacked out," doesn't pass muster when trying to make excuses for embarrassing yet ultimately mundane behavior.

I'm fairly certain the gesture wasn't an accident, but instead an immature, tasteless joke. I would rather hear someone just acknowledge that and apologize straight up for the childish behavior.

I don't think dude is a racist or SWS because he made an ugly joke in a locker room environment. I also think broadcasting the scene on national television does more to speak actual Nazi's and Hitlers legacy to power than any potential good that comes from publicly chastising someone who no one but the most die hard Oakland A's fan knew existed a matter of hours ago.

My actual gripe is with the A's org for printing that sham statement from the coach. Should've only put out their own statement, and dealt with the situation internally as they saw fit.

Nats about to get swept by the Orioles :smh: :lol:

This team is bad. Gonna need to replace Eaton with someone who can hit next year, in the meantime - tank for Kumar :pimp:

Back
Top Bottom