2023 Official MLB Season Thread

RIP Tony Fernandez

Tony%20Fernandez%2089sm.jpg

Some of the most thrilling at bats ever that year and the years after. It’s ridiculous he’s not in the hall. No one dominated the game like him during the steroid era.
He should totally be and, and I used to totally be on the side that opposed him being in.

I still don't sweat it. Every team cheats. In some way, big or small, every team cheats.

"No punishment for Houston"

Well, no punishment for Bonds either.
Or Clemens.
Papi.
McGwire, Sosa, Bret Boone, Brady Anderson etc etc etc.

Houston just got caught, first.
To what end, though? So allow corked bats? Cleats that are too long? Little piece of sandpaper hidden under a pitcher's wristband?

Actually, don't even hide it! Just let pitchers pull out a piece of sandpaper and grind away! No such thing as cheating anymore because we all understand that everyone does it.

I'm legit asking, to what end? Are you wanting it to be that cheating no longer exists because we all understand that everybody does it so if we all operate with that understanding, then technically no one is cheating? Whatever someone does that violates the rules, screw it, no punishment, and actually let's take away that rule altogether?

I look forward to them struggling. The jokes, the memes, the people blowing whistles or banging trash cans before pitches, the pitchers that bean players just cuz all season, the first time they lose 3-4 in a row on the road, it's gonna be a circus.

And I still don't sweat it. Every team cheats. In some way, big or small, every team cheats.

"No punishment for Houston"

Well, no punishment for Bonds either.
Or Clemens.
Papi.
McGwire, Sosa, Bret Boone, Brady Anderson etc etc etc.

Houston just got caught, first.

For someone who is generally logical, it blows my mind that you believe any of this.

Every single day, this situation gets worse and worse. And I firmly believe that the only reason this keeps getting worse is because of the ridiculously light punishment handed out.

Now Manfred is expected to send out a memo to all MLB teams warning them about harsh punishments for intentionally throwing at batters? So punish a guy for drilling a hitter, but turn a blind eye to the players who orchestrating the biggest cheating scandal in MLB history?

Every single day there is a new report/interview that makes this situation worse. Manfred is destroying the sport I love most.

To what end, though? So allow corked bats? Cleats that are too long? Little piece of sandpaper hidden under a pitcher's wristband?

Actually, don't even hide it! Just let pitchers pull out a piece of sandpaper and grind away! No such thing as cheating anymore because we all understand that everyone does it.

I'm legit asking, to what end? Are you wanting it to be that cheating no longer exists because we all understand that everybody does it so if we all operate with that understanding, then technically no one is cheating? Whatever someone does that violates the rules, screw it, no punishment, and actually let's take away that rule altogether?

My overall point of the whole thing is they were punished, harshly. 5 mil, 4 elite picks (and most in here don't grasp this, losing those picks ALSO means they lose those draft slots money, which makes it harder for signing other draft picks, very key.....) suspended GM + manager which basically ended both their careers, that is A LOT.

You can't do much worse. You can't suspend the whole roster. You can't make all their players free agents. You can't take away home games. 5-10-50 million ultimately doesn't matter to a billionaire.

So everyone stressin "they didn't get penalized at all" literally has no idea what SHOULD be done. No draft picks, ever? Not gonna work. Take away their Triple A team, can't do that.

No player suspended. Well, neither were the elite Steroid users, none of these guys upset about that. I don't see Yankee fans offering back their championships. Or Red Sox fans etc.

Every team in every sport is lookin for an edge. Slight or otherwise. Make it right? No, course not, but it happens, EVERY, team. Reading lips, stealing signs, video, hacking team computers (hi Cardinal fans) PED's, scuffing the ball, pine that, something, anything that makes one feel they're gaining a smidge of an edge.

The Astros got the harshest punishment of any other cheating story, ever. Bottom line.

So you're not coming from an angle of 'I'm OK with it. Let everyone cheat.' You're coming from an angle of 'How the eff else are they supposed to be punished?'

Fair point.

So you're not coming from an angle of 'I'm OK with it. Let everyone cheat.' You're coming from an angle of 'How the eff else are they supposed to be punished?'

Fair point.

How is it a fair point when there are literally hundreds of other ways that this could have been handled that are better than what they chose?

Obviously some are more realistic than others, but to question if there are other possible ways which the Astros can be punished beyond what was issued to them is absolutely comical.

The thing with the steroid stuff is that while of course it’s an extremely bad look. That was more rogue individual players as opposed to an entire team being active and willing participants in a group effort.

Yeah the 2000 Yankees had a decent amount of steroid users. If I look at the Mitchell Report, I’m sure I can find guys from the 2000 A’s, Mariners and Mets (their postseason opponents that year) who were juicing as well. Two wrongs don’t make a right. But what Houston did was way worse. Their smug, no dambz given attitude to it all has just added fuel to the fire.

MLB willfully turned a blind eye to steroids when it brought fans back to the ballpark in 98 which enabled things. It’s different. But they dropped the ball on this Astros stuff as well. They want it to go away. But their actions and damn sure the Astros actions haven’t helped that matter.

And yeah. Most likely other teams did underhanded stuff. But I’m not going to play guilty until proven innocent because Logan Morrison or whoever made some claims. But if said teams like the Yankees or Dodgers have some damning stuff come out about them with actual proof and receipts. They’ll look even more foolish than Rafael Palmerio did after emphasizing he never took steroids when testifying to congress back in 2005 only to get busted a few months later.

Now Manfred is threatening pitchers who go after Astros players :rofl: :rofl:

It was ok for them to go after batters who bat flipped but this is a bridge too far :rofl:

My overall point of the whole thing is they were punished, harshly. 5 mil, 4 elite picks (and most in here don't grasp this, losing those picks ALSO means they lose those draft slots money, which makes it harder for signing other draft picks, very key.....) suspended GM + manager which basically ended both their careers, that is A LOT.

You can't do much worse. You can't suspend the whole roster. You can't make all their players free agents. You can't take away home games. 5-10-50 million ultimately doesn't matter to a billionaire.

So everyone stressin "they didn't get penalized at all" literally has no idea what SHOULD be done. No draft picks, ever? Not gonna work. Take away their Triple A team, can't do that.

No player suspended. Well, neither were the elite Steroid users, none of these guys upset about that. I don't see Yankee fans offering back their championships. Or Red Sox fans etc.

Every team in every sport is lookin for an edge. Slight or otherwise. Make it right? No, course not, but it happens, EVERY, team. Reading lips, stealing signs, video, hacking team computers (hi Cardinal fans) PED's, scuffing the ball, pine that, something, anything that makes one feel they're gaining a smidge of an edge.

The Astros got the harshest punishment of any other cheating story, ever. Bottom line.
1918 black Sox, bonds, rose, would have something to say about that. But they're turning themselves into the victims, which is here this anger is stemming from.

This guys is so out of touch, its insane. #firemanfred is trending on twitter today, as it should be. This guy literally just described the thing that players work their entire season (or even career) for and dream about their entire lives of winning as just "a piece of metal."

The commissioner of baseball has just minimized the highest honor and achievement in his sport in order to try to justify that his punishments levied were strong enough. Let that sink in everyone.

Last edited:
I doubt any of us were old enough to remember it. But why did Faye Vincent (commissioner before Bud Selig) step down. I know he wasn’t well received by the owners. But from what I’ve read, it seemed like they wanted him out.

Back
Top Bottom