2024 NIKE SB DUNK THREAD_____GRs and QSs added

i worked at ticketmaster when all this was going down. we played it as "consumer protection" because it would ensure they don't get fake tickets. nike can easily do the same. meanwhile scalpers have become glorified affiliates and ticketmaster chops some off the top for facilitating the sale.

Wow, I'm surprised no one made a bigger deal about it.

at this point resale as it stands today is not going away, and there is no amount of bot protection you can do that wont eventually become obsolete. so its a complete sunken cost into a non-revenue generating stream, so it is completely unsurprising to me when they don't really do a whole lot to fight bots besides a captcha. the only real answer to cutting off bots is to not make them available online in any way. in-person shop raffles only. and i think we all know that isn't going to happen.

Which is why a while back I said maybe we were looking at fighting bots the wrong way. Instead of trying to eliminate bots we should give everyone a bot instead. Let's say Nike develops a bot app you download, releases are only through their bot app, throw in some in app securities, you put what release you want and the size and the bot just does its thing. If you can't get rid of bots, give everyone a bot to make the playing field even.

If anyone here uses a bot I would genuinely want to hear your thoughts on this.

It is. Here in Aus, the state I live in passed laws a few years ago to regulate ticket reselling. Companies like ticketmaster got a big slap on the wrist. Law now states tickets can’t be resold for more than 10% of original value. There is no way lawmakers here will allow a company like Nike to sell their products on a secondary market at crazy inflated prices. It would be a massive breach of consumer law.

Yeah, that's what happens when you have a government that actually cares about people getting screwed. We don't have that here in the US, cash is king.

I’ve said it a million times...

Pre. Orders.

Announce a shoe with finished production sample, then open up preorders for a month or something...However many pairs get preordered is what gets made...Somebody wants to buy 500 pairs then 🤷‍♂️, go for it...No excuse to miss out if you really wanted the sneaker, and the resell crowd can order and sit on as many pairs as they like...

Which is why a while back I said maybe we were looking at fighting bots the wrong way. Instead of trying to eliminate bots we should give everyone a bot instead. Let's say Nike develops a bot app you download, releases are only through their bot app, throw in some in app securities, you put what release you want and the size and the bot just does its thing. If you can't get rid of bots, give everyone a bot to make the playing field even.

they kinda did though? lets use your scenario with reality and see what happens. The Nike developed a bot app and called it SNKRs. Everyone signs up for accounts, and goes through releases with their in-app security features to help real people get shoes. What is the natural response? Give up and just live with Nikes bot, or just bot the bot and create millions of sock puppet accounts? There is no amount of money or technology that Nike can throw at this to ever keep ahead of the curve, and the costs will be 100% red on the bottom line. They're selling out stock and making the same amount if a bot buys or a real consumer, so the protection is really PR more than anything for revenue. At which point, just hire better PR and don't even bother with the technical side.

Pre. Orders.

Announce a shoe with finished production sample, then open up preorders for a month or something...However many pairs get preordered is what gets made...Somebody wants to buy 500 pairs then 🤷‍♂️, go for it...No excuse to miss out if you really wanted the sneaker, and the resell crowd can order and sit on as many pairs as they like...
1000x yes. This is really the only way to ensure people that actually want the shoe get it. I just think Nike does not care about that at all behind closed doors.

Pre. Orders.

As someone who has been waiting for ALD 1300s since last August, I would wholly support this. TBH would appreciate being billed when shoes are shipped to me though.

All you can do is put in the work. Enter raffles. Make friends in the community. Make friends with a shop owner. And even all that is still usually not enough.
Basically this...the system is trash but I can’t think of anything that would make it better. It’s people out here that will pay anything or risk life and limb for these damn shoes. The resell market has been a gift and a curse. I personally get more joy in the retail cop and being a father of 3, the retail price is cutting it close to being out of my budget anyways so resell out of the question.

Last edited:
A couple new pick-ups...
A837A964-D4DE-495E-B830-13F7E3D4EF03.jpeg

All you can do is put in the work. Enter raffles. Make friends in the community. Make friends with a shop owner. And even all that is still usually not enough.
Yup, not enough. Unless you have time to kill and live really close to a shop. Skate shop owners know what's up once you mention the word Dunks. Internally they're like f***, not again.

Wow, I'm surprised no one made a bigger deal about it.

the problem with this is that not all bots are created equal. very few boys consistently hit, even then it’s usually only their top users. there’s a lot more that goes into it than just having a bot

they kinda did though? lets use your scenario with reality and see what happens. The Nike developed a bot app and called it SNKRs. Everyone signs up for accounts, and goes through releases with their in-app security features to help real people get shoes. What is the natural response? Give up and just live with Nikes bot, or just bot the bot and create millions of sock puppet accounts? There is no amount of money or technology that Nike can throw at this to ever keep ahead of the curve, and the costs will be 100% red on the bottom line. They're selling out stock and making the same amount if a bot buys or a real consumer, so the protection is really PR more than anything for revenue. At which point, just hire better PR and don't even bother with the technical side.

Hmm, true. I feel like originally when they introduced the App they did have a genuine interest in changing things. Maybe it was the closed apple architecture that made it seem that way, or they realized they would never be able to keep up like you said and it was a losing battle draining resources, or even more likely (as you also said) it was all PR bs and they just wanted to look like they were doing something.

Pre. Orders.

That's pretty smart idea. Similar to what they did with some video games collectables like the NES and SNES Classic.

Basically this...the system is trash but I can’t think of anything that would make it better. It’s people out here that will pay anything or risk life and limb for these damn shoes. The resell market has been a gift and a curse. I personally get more joy in the retail cop and being a father of 3, the retail price is cutting it close to being out of my budget anyways so resell out of the question.
Right there with you

the problem with this is that not all bots are created equal. very few boys consistently hit, even then it’s usually only their top users. there’s a lot more that goes into it than just having a bot

Which is why you wouldn't be able to buy any release without the designated Nike bot. Purely hypothetical here (I'm also no software engineer so I don't know if this is even possible,) but let's say 30 seconds before the release Nike sends its bots a release specific string of code to start the buying process. Any other bot would be delayed and behind, forcing people to use only Nike's.

But I think metroidprototype metroidprototype is right, that's a lot of work and resources. Why would Nike put that much effort when the results will be the same if the release is botted?

Yup, not enough. Unless you have time to kill and live really close to a shop. Skate shop owners know what's up once you mention the word Dunks. Internally they're like f***, not again.
Depends on the shop. I have a good connection with my local, we do favors for each other. I hooked him up with a rare 90's deck, for example. As a result, he might send me a DM if someone doesn't pick up their raffle win in time. Give me a tip on a shock drop. Those sorts of things. But more often than not, I'm swimming in the same pond with everyone else, fighting for air.

Depends on the shop. I have a good connection with my local, we do favors for each other. I hooked him up with a rare 90's deck, for example. As a result, he might send me a DM if someone doesn't pick up their raffle win in time. Give me a tip on a shock drop. Those sorts of things. But more often than not, I'm swimming in the same pond with everyone else, fighting for air.

Sounds about right.

Which is why you wouldn't be able to buy any release without the designated Nike bot. Purely hypothetical here (I'm also no software engineer so I don't know if this is even possible,) but let's say 30 seconds before the release Nike sends its bots a release specific string of code to start the buying process. Any other bot would be delayed and behind, forcing people to use only Nike's.

But I think metroidprototype metroidprototype is right, that's a lot of work and resources. Why would Nike put that much effort when the results will be the same if the release is botted?

you’re underestimating the ability of bot developers and their ability to make money off getting though on the site.

it’s a good idea, i just think devs would still crack it

theres fakes everywhere. the best thing to do is just not be a ****in *** for sneakers. if you get them at a retailer GREAT. enjoy.

don't buy from a reseller you're not sure of and end up getting got, you're literally better off buying the fakes in that case directly from chinatown or where ever for 63.99 lol

i dont trust stockx either.

As someone who has been waiting for ALD 1300s since last August, I would wholly support this. TBH would appreciate being billed when shoes are shipped to me though.

I too don't like my money taken out right away if I'm not getting the product shipped anytime soon. But I recently ran into this problem and realized that my card number has changed and so has my address and they were not able to do anything for me except a cancellation of the order. If the preorder period is long, maybe an option to re-enter your billing info/payment again or to update it with new info.

theres fakes everywhere. the best thing to do is just not be a ****in *** for sneakers. if you get them at a retailer GREAT. enjoy.

don't buy from a reseller you're not sure of and end up getting got, you're literally better off buying the fakes in that case directly from chinatown or where ever for 63.99 lol

i dont trust stockx either.
I'm with you on StockX. I bought a pair of "new" Dunks a while back and they were clearly used. I took pics and opened a case, but they didn't take my side. Blew my mind on how they got it wrong. I had to get my credit card company to jump in and get it sorted out.

you’re underestimating the ability of bot developers and their ability to make money off getting though on the site.

it’s a good idea, i just think devs would still crack it

Yeah, where there is money, there is always a way/incentive.

I've been echoing this sentiment for years but services where you buy from an individual person and you can't see photos or communicate with them directly is disservice. I have sold many pairs to stockx and one to goat no problem but as a buyer I do not like to use them at all - unless it's a super lowball that gets accepted. Yes we blindly buy as retail consumers but those companies still have policies in place to ensure you get the product you ordered, that it's to your satisfaction, and/or your product gets replaced or compensated if it's not up to standard. You don't get that with goat or stockx. You get ignored. Even flightclub, for example, had an option that said brand new (conditional) for like older pairs that might be yellowed.

Most of my shoe buying and selling is done through ebay, facebook groups, and grailed in that order. This way we both know what we're getting. Obviously those systems are flawed as well, everything is, but after all these years of operating mostly that way the most I got got for was $6 that I gifted a dude for replacement SB laces.

pre-orders make sense from a consumer perspective, but not from a hype perspective. right now I'm debating getting something from NOAH that's currently a preorder...had it just been throw up on the site and been like this is limited, I probably would have just bought it (because i like it) rather than sitting and actually thinking about whether its a worthwhile purchase.

if there's no scarcity there's no urgency, and you miss out on potential sales.

pre-orders make sense from a consumer perspective, but not from a hype perspective. right now I'm debating getting something from NOAH that's currently a preorder...had it just been throw up on the site and been like this is limited, I probably would have just bought it (because i like it) rather than sitting and actually thinking about whether its a worthwhile purchase.

if there's no scarcity there's no urgency, and you miss out on potential sales.
Yea, isn't that Anitsocial Social Club's formula?

Back
Top Bottom