2024 NIKE SB DUNK THREAD_____GRs and QSs added

It’s disingenuous to say a few niche models are popular among the demographic they’re being by created for…Basketball players will buy basketball shoes, skaters will buy skate shoes…Joe schmo walking down the street isn’t buying those models, and Joe is the demographic that keeps Nike in business…Not the basketball player, or the skater, or even the nostalgic sneakerhead…The problem is that the mainline stuff is stagnated 🤷‍♂️…Air Max 270 was essentially the last “new” model Nike thought up that the general public got behind and was what, 2017 or 2018? People are moving on from Nike and they keep falling back on the nostalgia angle by playing that old tired limited edition game…Going by the numbers they’re showing investors, that’s not going to be sustainable in the long term…If Nike keeps this up it’ll look like a very different company a decade or two from now…They’re slowly loosing the public and that’s a big problem for their bottom line…

But I digress, purely speaking as a person with a sneaker obsession that’s nearing four decades long now, let them bring EVERYTHING back…

Last edited:
IMG_0350.jpeg

I have no stock in nike lmao I do not care what makes noise. Y'all talk like ya on the payroll :lol: if nike went out of business tomorrow I'd be good for at least 10-15 years with what I got rn.

Let us remember when the Tanjun was deemed the top nike shoe in terms of sales. They got enough cash cows. A groundbreaking shoe isn't gonna happen every year. Others I can think of that had their moment in the streets were the react element 87 (first two colorways sold out instantly before they eventually got flooded and met demand. undercover collab sold quick), sacai vaporwaffle (does that count? new silhouette, even if remixed from past), the first space hippie collection (grey/orange/blue colorways) all sold out before the other colorways hit sale racks,

The funny thing is, as soon as any brand drops a shoe that EVERYONE starts rockin, y'all judge em for being hypebeasts and flocking to the next thing :rofl:so what do y'all really want then? I want retros and I've gotten retros, I'm happy

edit: and if you look at the popular models from other popular brands rn like adidas samba, NB 1906 or 2002, asics 1130 or kayano 14, these are also retro silhouettes that have been modernized. Obviously there are new ones that sell well, but retros are not exclusive to nike. So what's the problem?

Last edited:
DripNick DripNick INSANE wears. Love those oxides

Y'all ignorant as hell lmao. Your realities of only copping retros and paying attention to 80s/90s silhouettes do not mean the rest of us are stuck in those ways. Some sneakerheads have such a narrow scope of the industry as a whole. Nike's bread and butter is outfitting families and athletes. Sneakerheads pale in comparison to the amount of normies that need to buy clothing and shoes for their families or sports seasons

I too wear mostly 80s/90s retros, but at times I need something different. I hoop, I hike, and I used to run more so I've gotten to explore a good range of nike products. Vapormax and flyknit :rofl: y'all really not outside. React, zoomx, zoom strobels, flyease, auto lacing (gimmicky as it may be, it will eventually be more commonplace), just to name a few recent techs. I got the pegasus trail 4, great shoe that I was able to get on deep discount for running and hiking. The jordan 36 was one of my favorite hoop shoes ever. The whole ACG product line pushed forward a lot during the Errolson Hugh line, and since he left, it's been a dope blend of retro + modern from footwear to clothing.

Idk why we as consumers would be worried about nike's market share and brand identity/image anyway :lol: they not paying me a salary, idgaf if retros are a sign of desparation. I just got huf am1 and linen af1 retros, I couldn't be happier about how those releases went.

edit: I also think the way that contemporary shoes like lebron 8s, vomero 5s, kd4s, kobe protros have come back and are still comfortable and performance-worthy is indicative that the tech has plateaued a little. All of those were top of the line performers at the time 10+ years ago, and are still more than adequate now.
Thanks, them and my OG plums dangerously entering the "**** I really wish I doubled on them" but finding them DS in my size is close to impossible, especially nowhere near the insane steal price I paid for both of them.

Besides your gatekeeping ways/delivery, I actually agree with you on not swearing by retros only, that's what I was alluding to when I mentioned Nike's diversity when the NB talk occured the other day. Reacts are great indeed (87s namely), loving the Ja 1st, I mess with a few new SB models from the last few years and the upcoming PS8 definitely look promising etc...
As a matter of fact, EYE actually switched from Dodgers Dunks to undercover 87s today (funny that you'd mention em) and am currently waiting for some Japan exclusive lunar base silhouette.
All that to say, to each their own, I guess 🤷🏾‍♂️

https://niketalk.com/threads/is-nike-no-longer-as-cool-as-it-used-to-be.697243/page-16
Wondering if this would be the most appropriate place to discuss Nike's direction moving forward. I would hate to derail the thread, but have some thoughts on the matter. I honestly could care less if Nike opens up the vault and starts retroing all the older gems. It'll give new sneakerheads a chance at purchasing older grails for a substantially better price. Undefeated 4's and wu tangs are wild, but I think the only ones mad at it are the resellers holding or people who bought for a bag previously. Although not a retro, I'm glad I got to purchase my chicago sb's recently for near retail instead of paying 500 bucks resell when they first dropped. Or buying Kobe 6 grinches and kobe 5 bruce lees for a hell of a lot less than what they originals were going for at the time of his death.

You can't say Nikes only trick is bringing back shoes for nostalgia purposes. Like others have mentioned, they've dropped tons of newer stuff, new silos, and newer tech. Some of the shoes have been well received initially and then fallen flat or forgotten. You want to push innovation for sure, but there's also nothing wrong with retro'ing or protro'ing older classic cw's/models. I wouldn't be mad if I have another chance to purchase some classics like fragment 1's, sbb's, or maybe even ow 1's again. SB wise to keep with this thread: supreme cement cw's, stussy, what the dunk, peles, Kicks HI would be on my list

There’s a disconnect here it’s that nobody is saying retros are bad, just the opposite in fact…99% of us are on here because / for retro’s…But Nike is basing almost their entire business model around LIMITED retro releases and they’re hitting a wall as a result (Worst fiscal quarter in nearly 25 years)…

Other companies like New Balance and ASICS have strong retro programs and dabble in the limited-verse, and are gaining market share…But then there’s also brands like Hoka and ON that have zero retro presence (for obvious reasons)…

I want Nike to succeed so I can keep buying the shoes I love…Huf AM1’s are my personal sneaker of the year…But Nike won’t keep putting all their eggs in the retro basket as long as they keep loosing market presence…They’ve lost the general public it seems and my fear is that’s going to cost us all…

In the meantime just eat it up and enjoy things like the Wu Dunks and Huf AM1’s…

Without retroes, JB and Nike would be Walmart worthy.

I’ve seen Shaqs on Walmart clearance that I’d rock before 90% of what Nike/JB releases that isn’t a retro.

Half this site is such hypebeasts and so selfishly short-sighted they would love it if retros became Walmart shoes as long as it meant they could get their hands on whatever they wanted

Of course they would claim they don’t care about the long-term damage to the brand but in reality they would move onto the new hyped trend as soon as they start getting roasted for their Walmart shoes lol

Honestly, if all of this leads to a GR retro of any one of these following releases, a lot of us older collectors will be very happy:

IMG_3195.jpeg

IMG_3194.png

IMG_3197.jpeg

These along with a GR Air Yeezy 2 retro would be absolutely insane and a huge W for those of us who don’t want to take out a small mortgage to cop these releases lol

(Tbh not sure how a Paris retro would even work, given it is made out of a print but let me dream lol)

Here’s how Nike has been playing the game for at least a couple decades now…

Release a limited sneaker that almost nobody can get at…The people who miss have the FOMO vibe and buy what’s made available to them from the mainline catalog…People see others flossing the Nike mainline stuff and head out to buy it themselves…Next thing you know massively produced crap quality Dunks and Jordan 1 Mids (As an example) are selling out everywhere…After all, a whole generation of people grew up with Nike being the unquestioned king of sportswear built off the back of innovation and product endorsement…

This process was so successful that Nike almost completely stopped innovating over the years…Why? Because why bother with the costs associated with R&D when you can get people to buy out whole product runs of a sneaker, at 300% markup, you’ve been making inferior quality versions of for decades…All they have to do is give off this illusion of exclusivity…Next thing you know social media explodes and they cut 80% of their R&D team, but business keeps booming…

What’s been gradually happening however is that they’ve built themselves into a corner with this approach…The generation that’s out driving sportswear sales now doesn’t have a feeling of attachment to the brand through their big product advancements and signature athletes, meanwhile the ones that drove that success in the past are aging out of the core group of buyers…They don’t have a Michael Jordan to inflate the prestige and they stopped driving to create the best new athletic technology in the business…Today’s buyers won’t fall into the ~I missed out FOMO Nike purchase~ group because they don’t have that connection that prior generations had 🤷‍♂️…Today’s buyer is more than willing to move on to other brands of Nike doesn’t allow them access to the stuff they want…So it’s caused Nike to enter this uncharted territory where they lose market share while other brands make big market gains…It’s been happening over the past couple years but really hit a wall last week…Nike has built their whole release strategy, like their entire release catalog, around nostalgia that isn’t there…

What’s releasing now with the Wu Tangs, UNDFTD’s, Patta’s, Galaxy’s (etc…) is a result of what Nike was seeing a couple years ago…They literally have no other approach than to try and double down on the nostalgia angle because that’s all they know how to do at this point…They want so badly to recreate that 1999 Jordan retro explosion but can’t do it…The original Jordan retro’s succeeded because everyone had access to the shoes in their younger days and were anxious to relive the memories they had with wearing them…These releases don’t carry that same weight because they were so limited initially that almost nobody had them…The only people looking for them are the people who knew of them and couldn’t buy them originally…They’ll be limited, resellers will buy up the stock, resellers will take a loss on the aftermarket because the nostalgia buyer isn’t spending a ton of money to buy them 🤷‍♂️

In a couple years when the results of this most recent earnings disappointment land I fully expect Nike to continue with business as usual…They don’t have any other option…They don’t know how to innovate and market themselves anymore and it’s costing them…
well said. And add to the fact that the age range or group of those people who were connected to things like yeezys, galaxies, and whatever limited are aging out.

The new heads probably don’t have that connection to the nostalgic stuff, other than $$$ from profit or it being hyped up by somebody or resellers to be cool and a must have.

At the end of the day a hypebeast is controlled by hype. And the only reason why you would complain about an exclusive release is because you can’t handle your own hype for it

Back
Top Bottom