2025 NBA Draft Thread

Don't see a ton of difference when it comes to "the pop".

Biggest difference I see is playmaking ability, but that's something Bam didn't show any of when he was a prospect at UK.

bam hated Dwight Howard comparisons but he was but that was based on athleticism.

I can’t be the pg from Iowa state and cole Anthony are lottery picks.
A guy like Haliburton is a lotto pick in any draft. Easily translatable skills. High level 3pt shooting, passing, and defense. Lottery guys aren't always potential superstars.

I'm cooling on Isaac Okoro the more I read/watch of him. I thought he had better measurables than he actually does. Can't shoot and doesn't really have any discernible ball skills. Granted he's younger, but I feel like he's just a worse version of Thybulle. As far as wings go, I think I'd definitely take Devin Vassell and Deni Advija (even though I'm worried about his shooting) over Okoro. Would probably take Saddiq Bey over him too, even though he's older.

After that, I think you can throw him in with Aaron Nesmith, Patrick Williams, and Josh Green.

I'm cooling on Isaac Okoro the more I read/watch of him. I thought he had better measurables than he actually does. Can't shoot and doesn't really have any discernible ball skills. Granted he's younger, but I feel like he's just a worse version of Thybulle. As far as wings go, I think I'd definitely take Devin Vassell and Deni Advija (even though I'm worried about his shooting) over Okoro. Would probably take Saddiq Bey over him too, even though he's older.

After that, I think you can throw him in with Aaron Nesmith, Patrick Williams, and Josh Green.
He's a pretty good passer, but he's going to have to be in that position because I don't believe in his playmaking abilities to do so.

He's a pretty good passer, but he's going to have to be in that position because I don't believe in his playmaking abilities to do so.
Yeah I just dunno about him. 3 and D without the 3 to me. No in-between game. Just feel like it gives you a low ceiling no matter how good of a defender you are.

According to one league source, the Warriors are “in the relatively early stages” of the evaluation process. Golden State has zeroed in on several projected lottery picks. But with the draft still more than three months away, the Warriors expect to tinker with their big board of prospects plenty.

There is a belief throughout the league that, if Golden State decides it isn’t infatuated with anyone, it’d be open to dealing the pick. A lack of available film on prospects would only hurt the Warriors’ chances of finding a suitable trade offer.

Of the three players in the discussion for the No. 1 pick — Georgia guard Anthony Edwards, former Memphis center James Wiseman and guard LaMelo Bell of the Australian National Basketball League’s Illawarra Hawks — Golden State is said to like Edwards the most. At 6-foot-5, 225 pounds with a 6-9 wingspan and elite athleticism, he is a palatable, albeit flawed, option.

Though he probably has the highest upside of anyone in this draft, Edwards settles for too many contested jumpers, shoots just 29.4% from 3-point range and often coasts through games.
According to multiple league sources, The Chronicle contacted in the past few days, the Warriors — contrary to what mock drafts might suggest — aren’t believed to be high on two of the three players being mentioned as possibilities at the No. 1 pick: former Memphis center James Wiseman and point guard LaMelo Ball, who last played for the Illawarra Hawks of Australia’s National Basketball League.

As one source put it, “I think they’d only take one of those two if they were trading down in the draft and taking them for another team.”

If Ball could play some defense, I'd think he be awesome in Golden State.

I def feel like Lamelo will guard with Steve Kerr,

by all accounts Lamelo is pretty coachable, plus he's got great size and instincts when he actually tries.

Bad shooter bad defender Lamelo isn’t doing anything for them in the short term. Long term, maybe, but they are going to need someone that can help immediately in order to keep up with the other teams in the West.

He’s basically like a taller but more trash version of DLo, who they shipped out after 50 games.

All of these rookies will be bad shooters and defenders out of the gate.

Shot selection and defense is bad for rookies more times than not.

Bad shooter bad defender Lamelo isn’t doing anything for them in the short term. Long term, maybe, but they are going to need someone that can help immediately in order to keep up with the other teams in the West.

He’s basically like a taller but more trash version of DLo, who they shipped out after 50 games.

I don't see that comp, lamelo is about 10 million times more athletic than Dlo and a way worse shooter.

I don't see that comp, lamelo is about 10 million times more athletic than Dlo and a way worse shooter.
I mostly just don't see why they would want someone like Lamelo that sucks at the 2 things that have made that team what they are. Especially after seeing what they did with someone like DLo who had more to offer but didn't exactly fit what they wanted.

I think Lamelo can be good long term, but I think short term fit with the current makeup of the team is (rightfully) very important to them.

Best case scenario for them is to probably find someone to trade down with and pick up another solid player along with a draft pick.

I mostly just don't see why they would want someone like Lamelo that sucks at the 2 things that have made that team what they are. Especially after seeing what they did with someone like DLo who had more to offer but didn't exactly fit what they wanted.

I think Lamelo can be good long term, but I think short term fit with the current makeup of the team is (rightfully) very important to them.

Best case scenario for them is to probably find someone to trade down with and pick up another solid player along with a draft pick.
I don’t think there’s a player in this draft that can really make an impact for them in the short term.

I can see Anthony Edwards being a chuck early on.

I don’t think there’s a player in this draft that can really make an impact for them in the short term.

I can see Anthony Edwards being a chuck early on.
And that very well could be the case. I just don't personally see them going with Lamelo and they are too smart to take Wiseman that high.

I'm banking on whoever they pick to instantly be taught to play disciplined. More so than they would in any other situation.

Some quick notes on this mock draft:

• The order below is based on team record as of suspension of play. I then ran one lottery simulation on Tankathon.com to mix up the order. Simply put, the odds on the lottery now are so flat across the board that it’s worth exploring different avenues every time we do one of these. Even the team at the top, the Golden State Warriors, only has a 52 percent chance to stay within the top four.

• At this point, the mock draft is almost entirely about what I’m hearing from sources about draft ranges on specific players, as opposed to it being about where I am on players. I’ll have an updated top 100 big board ranking next week, which will be more about me. But this mock draft comes as a result of me having spoken to dozens of sources across the landscape of basketball, including executives, scouts, agents and college coaches. In cases of players declaring for the draft but having difficult decisions, I used my best judgment to project if they will ultimately stay in the draft. Players out of this mock based on that include Ayo Dosunmu, Corey Kispert, Chris Smith, Derrick Alston, Trendon Watford and Isaiah Joe.

• This mock draft DOES account for team needs for the most part, although as you’ll see in this class, I think most teams — especially around the top — should mostly just be taking the guy they trust most to be good.

1. Pistons - Anthony Edwards
2. Hornets - James Wiseman
3. Bulls - LaMelo Ball
4. T'Wolves - Onyeka Okongwu
5. Warriors - Obi Toppin
6. Cavaliers - Dani Avdija
7. Hawks - Isaac Okoro
8. Knicks - Cole Anthony
9. Wizards - Killian Hayes
10. Suns - Tyrese Haliburton
11. Spurs - Devin Vassell
12. Kings - Aaron Nesmith
13. Pelicans - Kira Lewis JR
14. Blazers - Tyrese Maxey
15. Magic - Theo Maledon
16. T'Wolves - Saddiq Bey
17. Celtics - Precious Achiuwa
18. Mavericks - RJ Hampton
19. Bucks - Jaden McDaniels
20. Nets - Patrick Williams
21. Nuggets - Zeke Nnaji
22. Sixers - Jahmi’us Ramsey
23. Heat - Tre Jones
24. Jazz - Devon Dotson
25. Thunder - Josh Green
26. Celtics - Aleksej Pokusevski
27. Knicks - Jaden Smith
28. Raptors - Isaiah Stewart
29. Lakers - Nico Mannion
30. Celtics - Tyrell Terry

Alright, read some articles and watched some highlights on Bey... though he just turned 21 if you can get him the second half of the first round the potential value becomes worth it especially in this draft

Yes he has some flags besides being 21, his release point, questionable shake/quickness... but he has the size to defend wings, seems to be a competent shooter both spot up and off the bounce (even with the release point) and apparently had a huge growth spurt... before that he was always a point guard. Articles say he always guarded the best offensive player from guard to forward

If Wolves ended up with Okongwu and Bey it wouldn't be perhaps sexy picks but that'd be a solid haul. Two versatile defenders who won't need usage

Alright, read some articles and watched some highlights on Bey... though he just turned 21 if you can get him the second half of the first round the potential value becomes worth it especially in this draft

Yes he has some flags besides being 21, his release point, questionable shake/quickness... but he has the size to defend wings, seems to be a competent shooter both spot up and off the bounce (even with the release point) and apparently had a huge growth spurt... before that he was always a point guard. Articles say he always guarded the best offensive player from guard to forward

If Wolves ended up with Okongwu and Bey it wouldn't be perhaps sexy picks but that'd be a solid haul. Two versatile defenders who won't need usage
I really like Villanova's track record producing good role players. I think he's going to be a better pro than Nesmith, who most mocks have getting picked before him. Feel like he gives you a much higher defensive upside while still giving you a lot of the shooting. Still think Portland (picking a few slots ahead of MIN) is the landing spot for him. Vecinie's mock has them taking Maxey, who does probably have a higher upside, but I'm not exactly sure what you're supposed to do with all 4 of Dame/CJ/Simons/Maxey. Bey should be able to give them good, productive minutes right out of the gate behind Ariza. Not going to be a star, but who knows if someone like Maxey will either.

He would definitely fit well with MIN too if he fell to them. Like you said, he and Okongwu aren't sexy picks, but they need guys that can complement the pieces that they have and I think both of those guys can do just that.

Wolves desperately need defense. They've already got 3 high usage offensive pieces that are going to demand almost 100% of the shot creation/shots.. and all 3 of them are known for their lack of defense :lol: I would understand if they addressed this via free agency but yeah, with a supposed weak draft you kinda just take what you can get

Blazers could perhaps take Maxey and deal Simons or Trent.. but yeah I was surprised they took Simons and Trent to begin with :lol:

Wolves desperately need defense. They've already got 3 high usage offensive pieces that are going to demand almost 100% of the shot creation/shots.. and all 3 of them are known for their lack of defense :lol: I would understand if they addressed this via free agency but yeah, with a supposed weak draft you kinda just take what you can get

Blazers could perhaps take Maxey and deal Simons or Trent.. but yeah I was surprised they took Simons and Trent to begin with :lol:
The thing with dealing Simons or Trent is that I assume you would want a wing in return, but I don't think teams are willing to give them up given how important they are in today's game. Combo guards are much easier to find, and most teams already have several.

Also, the draft is really only weak when it comes to the very top, IMO. Plenty of guys in the first round that I think can be solid role players and complementary guys.

The teams that are really hurt by the draft are whoever lands between 5-10 or so, because I think there's a strong chance that players drafted in the 10-20 range could be just as good. A lot of guys on the same tier, so those teams picking earlier aren't really being "rewarded" in comparison to the teams in the middle of the first.

Last edited:
Yeah in every draft there's always going to be role players. Weak doesn't mean devoid of value. The distinction is that while every draft is a crap shoot, in a class like this one (no earth shattering can't misses) as well with the circumstances of COVID you pretty much just hoping for the best

More over, if you're drafting on fit over pure talent/potential (even earlier in the draft) I think it's permitted in this case

Back
Top Bottom