The Knicks will be fine with Stat & JJ and if they add a good vet PG, I can't see why this team can't compete with the top teams in the east.

how would david lee be included if we signed amare and joe
nerd.gif

How the hell could we afford all of those players.

And to comment on the page before, how could JJ/Amare/Lee work out? I didn't think Lee has his bird rights anymore since we only resigned him for 1 year, so we couldn't go over the cap for him.

Plus there's not a chance Amare doesn't take the max, and I'm sure JJ is going to want something close to it. Even if Johnson could be convinced to sign for less, it would have to be like 8 mil/year because I'm sure David Lee is going to be asking 8-10.

I'm sure you have all seen this, but whatever. I didn't see it posted, not sure if this is what franchise3 is referring to.
One prominent agent says tonight: "I think there's a very good chance the Knicks will get shutout (in free agency)...Even likely..." 38 minutes ago via web

WojYahooNBA

Adrian Wojnarowski

Originally Posted by PapaPrem

Originally Posted by Master Zik

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

Originally Posted by Master Zik

Yall can get Duhon outta here. Chandler too. This upside talk aint cutting it. If JJ has already peaked why not take him? Why assume this upside these younger players have will surpass JJ?

Regardless if we were able to land Melo or CP3 I'd be fine with them giving up Gallo and anybody else on the roster of worth.
I'm not saying give JJ the max. I'm saying if it's between JJ and Chandler (maybe even Gallo), I'd take JJ.

Also, Allan Houston was a great New York Knick. The management and entire adminstaration was in disarray when they gave him that max contract.
But it's not between just JJ and Chandler.  It's about giving a max contract or near max contract to a non-bonafide superstar who is getting up there in age and has already peaked.  Sorry, but I rather take Chandler who would be making a fraction of what JJ will be making, and is a rather efficient player. 
As for Allan Houston being a great Knick, I disagree.  He was always overpaid and overrated.  He was a one dimensional player who was softer than ice cream.  The Knicks should have instead signed Reggie Miller or Sprewell over Houston, back during the 1996 free agency.
Again where did I say give JJ a max contract? How you gonna say it's not about those two and then talk about those 2? As a player JJ knows he isn't on that level (especially after the playoffs). If the Knicks want to compete and come out of the East they wouldn't be foolish enough to hold on to Chandler like he's of more value than JJ with the plethora of FAs out there now and to come, especially compared to JJ who has been at his most effective in D'antoni's offense.

laugh.gif
indifferent.gif
grin.gif
@ your opinion of Houston. I can tell I can't have a rational discussion with you just throwing out ad hominem attacks at him like they stick. It's laughable to think you've been unhappy with Houston on the Knicks team for 9 years. Dude took money offered to him by a management team that simply wasn't smart or thinking when they were trying to rebuild on the run. After noticing the incompetence himself he went in retirement for the team. He's only been overpaid when he resigned back in '01. Talking about signing someone else when he's done so much for them as a player in the playoffs
eyes.gif
. Maybe you're that fooled by his personality and attitude on the court to actually believe he's soft.

Talking about we should've signed Reggie miller after the fact. ##*% you. You can't be no Knicks fan. Sign Reggie Miller? FOH! And Sprewell in '96? You wanted him to choke out Don Nelson or something?

Originally Posted by Ballinsam23

PG-tony douglas
SG-Joe Johnson
SF-gallo
PF-lee
C-amare

If worse comes to worst, and Lebron, Bosh signed to Heats, CHI, or just stayed then..

IDK how we can afford that team but i wouldn't be too mad about it..

Amare playing center on Defense thooo..
sick.gif
....The defense he played vs Lakers this playoff series was terrible...

What if we did something snaky.. signed Joe Johnson.. Then traded Chandler-Joe Johnson for C.P3
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by LosALMIGHTY

I can live with Amare & Joe even though Amare drives me insane (I'm a Suns fan too). Joe can create his own shot better than Wilson can & Gallo will get there soon. Imagine Amare, Joe, TP, Gallo, and Lee?  All this sure thing talk is annoying. 

If bron is all about his image and being a billionaire athlete, Chiacago might provide the fasted route. But if he's worried about his legacy, which I don't think he is, Chicago will be a dumb place to play. He will forever be in Jordans shadow because he had to come to a playoff team with another all-star via FA to win his championships. The only places he can have that legacy thats on par with MJ is in Cleveland and NY. Cleveland because he is homegrown and won it with his team. NY because be took a franchise from rags to riches.

Basically how I feel about this whole thing. Well-put.

Miami: he had to leave his team and go to another players team to win. (Miami will always be dwade as long as he is there). Not to mention it would hurt lebron's ego to know he is making less than dwade

Bulls: will forever be in the back of jordans shadow...will see his statue each day he comes to work...how can he build his own legacy? sorry lebron no room for 2 statues out front...its way to early for people to win in chicago and not be compared or seen as being 'not as good as MJ'

nets: i see no problem with him going to the nets so long a second player like bosh goes with him...and if the nets get chris paul, it would be the best bet...a place to build his own legacy. but the nets are a really boring franchise...and the whole move to brooklyn seems really cheesy

cleveland: if he stays he wont have a chance to win a ring for the next few years again, just like when he came to the league, will waste away his prime like KG...but better off than miami and bulls because he 'did it on his own' and 'he took his own team to win'

knicks: basically if he wins 1 in NY he will be immortal...it will equal to kobe's 4-5..lebron wins 3-4 in knicks...it will be on par with jordan's 6...NYC area still play willis reed games because of that championship...imagine how much lebron will be venerated....if he wants to be known as the greatest ever...he will need to come to NY and get the job done.

clippers: take over LA and make kobe 1B would be funny. but won't happen.

[h1]New York Knicks hope Allan Houston can add player perspective to pitch for LeBron James, Dwyane Wade[/h1]
BY Frank Isola
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Monday, June 28th 2010, 4:00 AM

alg_allan_houston.jpg

DeCrow/AP
After being drafted by the Pistons, Allan Houston leaves Detroit in 1996 to come to New York. The Knicks hope that perspective will help in the pursuit of Chris Bosh, LeBron James and Dwyane Wade.

Allan Houston's eclectic group of friends and associates includes everyone from William (World Wide Wes) Wesley to James Dolan and that isn't the only reason why the former Knick will emerge as a valuable resource for recruiting LeBron James to New York.

It's been 14 years since Houston decided to leave the Midwest for Manhattan, a move that transformed his career and bank account and helped the Knicks reach two conference finals and one NBA Finals.

"I came because I felt that going to New York would give me the best chance to win," Houston says. "I was more of a piece to the team as opposed to be the foundational player. It was a chance to play with Patrick Ewing and compete for a championship. I don't regret it for one minute."

Houston now serves as an assistant to Knicks president Donnie Walsh and is expected to be part of the team that will meet with free agents starting Thursday. The Knicks are already scheduled to have face-to-face meetings with Joe Johnson, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh and, of course, James.

The advantage of having Houston accompanying Dolan, Walsh and Mike D'Antoni on these upcoming trips is that Houston has the respect of the free agents and can talk from personal experience about leaving the team that drafted him to joining the pressure cooker in New York.

"When I came to the Knicks I was just entering my prime like most of these guys are now," said Houston, originally selected by the Pistons. "It's an exciting time for everybody and this is a great opportunity for us. I always remember something John Starks would say. He said 'I wouldn't be John Starks if I hadn't been in New York.' There's no better place."

Houston has been with the organization since 1996 and many believe he will eventually run the basketball operations. After all, Houston has friends in high places.

He has the distinction of being Dolan's all-time favorite player. In fact, Dolan, the Garden chairman, helped Houston make the transition from retired player to front office apprentice.

Their relationship took shape nine years ago when Dolan, taking over for deposed Garden president David Checketts, elected to sign Houston to a $100 million contract extension.

That summer, Dolan flew to Louisville to participate in Houston's charity golf event in his hometown. Also attending the event that July afternoon was Wesley, who in recent years has emerged as a power broker inside NBA circles.

Wesley recently became the agent for Kentucky head coach John Calipari and remains part of James' inner circle. The man they call "World Wide Wes" has known Houston and his father Wade since Wesley's childhood friend, Milt Wagner, was recruited by Louisville out of Camden, N.J.. That history may or may not give the Knicks a slight edge.

"I'm not going to comment on certain relationships," Houston said. "I'll say this, there are people out there trying to help a lot of the free agents. These free agents have all put good people around them and if someone from their group is able to tell them something about us and our organization I think it will help.

"To me, every free agent wants to win," Houston added. "And there is a difference between playing in New York and winning in New York. There is nothing like it. That's what every player should want to experience."

When Houston left the Pistons and signed a six-year contract with the Knicks he believed he was joining a stable organization with the right leadership in place. He remembers the conversation he had with Ewing on a private plane that took Houston from Detroit to New York.

In his talks with Checketts, Ernie Grunfeld, Ed Tapscott and Jeff Van Gundy, Houston got a sense that the Knicks were committed to winning and that there was a type of "partnership" about the group.

"I knew about New York being a big stage and that is certainly an attraction," Houston said. "But this was about joining the right team and the organization. And we have that again. We can sign two great free agents and those guys will make everyone on the roster better. I think we're in a great position."

it's stephen a smith, but take it for what it's worth:

"According to my sources in NYC, in Cleveland, I wouldn't go with this but I've got one guy that I've know for 15 years and he has never given me false information (and as a journalist you're only as good as your sources), and after hearing what everyone has to say, LeBron will agree to team with Dwyane Wade. He's going to South Beach. Lebron, with Chris Bosh will go to Miami."
- The Knicks will overpay Joe Johnson and give him a max deal if they have to bring him to New York. They have to overpay Joe Johnson to save face. Amare Stoudemire is interested in coming to New York because he wants the big stage. He wants to prove he is a max player.

As a Heat fan, dont expect Bron to come here. Listen how this sounds...Lebron James, Chris Bosh, and Dwayne Wade with Coach Spoelstra? Pat Riley isnt going to last all 82 games and I think they have a little more respect for Spoelstra than they had for Van Gundy.

[h1]Knicks owner to go to LeBron meeting[/h1]
By MARC BERMAN

Owner James Dolan decided yesterday to join the Knicks' recruiting team in northeast Ohio on Thursday as the club delivers its first presentation to free agent LeBron James, The Post has learned.

The King of Cablevision apparently wants to look King James in the eye to assure him of the financial commitment he has always made to the franchise, and that he has never spared any expense in trying to restore the Knicks back to greatness.

Meanwhile, the Knicks are finalizing plans to meet with Joe Johnson on Wednesday in Los Angeles at 9 p.m. Pacific time, which is when free-agency courting begins, and possibly meet with Amar'e Stoudemire before flying to Ohio for Thursday's 1 p.m. James soiree. A Knicks official confirmed the James meeting but would not say if the Johnson/Stoudemire extravaganza is definite yet or if Dolan would partake in other meetings.

Dolan feels he is most adept at explaining to James the Garden's transformation across the next three years, in which the Knicks owner is spending between $775 to $850 million to beautify "The World's Most Famous Arena."

Dolan, coach Mike D'Antoni, Knicks president Donnie Walsh and assistant to the president Allan Houston will meet with James and his advisors in the Akron area.

While Dolan has taken the brunt of the blame for the Knicks failing to win a playoff game in 10 years, he actually serves as an advantage in this LeBron Race, even if he's not as flamboyant or tall as 6-foot-8 Russian billionaire Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov.

Prokhorov will also head to the Akron area Thursday to lead the Nets' brigade that includes minority owner/James buddy Jay-Z, whose presence likely scored the Nets the first meeting.

The Russian billionaire enters this free-agent sweepstakes having already announced to the media the firing of GM/coach Kiki Vandeweghe before telling Vandeweghe himself, and now losing well respected president Rod Thorn on the cusp of free agency.

League sources contend Thorn got low-balled on his new pact and the Vandeweghe mishap also is believed to have given Thorn a sick feeling on how the Russian conducts business. With the Thorn fiasco, Prokhorov still has an unproven track record on a willingness to spend on basketball operations.

Dolan is also going up against three other owners who have a notorious reputation for thriftiness in Bulls owner Jerry Reinsdorf, Heat owner Mickey Arison and Clippers owner Donald Sterling.

Reinsdorf and Arison have long been opposed to paying any luxury tax in building the roster. The luxury tax is the 100-percent tax levied on every dollar a team's payroll soars over a preset luxury-tax threshold.

Dolan, unfortunately for Cablevision stockholders, became king of the luxury tax. In 1996 and 1997, Dolan wound up paying in excess of $50 million in luxury tax when the Knicks' league-high payroll ballooned over $100 million.

While Dolan's spending backfired, it does demonstrate to James that he would never pass on signing a future free agent because of luxury-tax concerns. Reinsdorf and Arison would be untruthful if they tried to make the same pitch.

"I think what people don't understand is when you get to know him, you see how loyal and committed he is," Houston told The Post. "I think the management team (of the free agents) will see that and that's going to be huge. A lot of people don't get to see his extreme commitment."

The favored Bulls may have the more established roster but the coaching edge goes to D'Antoni over rookie Tom Thibodeau, the former Knicks assistant. James has raved about D'Antoni's offensive style during their three summers together on Team USA.

Thibodeau has been a longtime, spectacular defensive assistant, but nobody knows if he will become a star head coach and be able to manage a team.

Originally Posted by pr0phecy718

it's stephen a smith, but take it for what it's worth:

"According to my sources in NYC, in Cleveland, I wouldn't go with this but I've got one guy that I've know for 15 years and he has never given me false information (and as a journalist you're only as good as your sources), and after hearing what everyone has to say, LeBron will agree to team with Dwyane Wade. He's going to South Beach. Lebron, with Chris Bosh will go to Miami."

wait what?? LeBron, DWade and Bosh on one team?? Even Rockefeller wouldn't be able to pay that whole team. Or maybe they'll just fire the whole coaching staff.

he's going to the bulls blah blah no he's going to the heat!!!

the reporters know NOTHING. not a damn thing about what's going to happen come july 1st.

i agree with the article that dolan is a positive for the first time in a while. if lebron was really a bulls fan growing up he knows how that dynasty was torn apart because of that cheap ++# owner.

I figured Dolan would show up. I don't know if it's cuz of these Cuban rumors but I've noticed once the Knicks started sucking he began to come out of his shell more and more. Dude obviously wants to win, he just hasn't been lucky or made the smartest moves.

I have to seriously ask now, does the sports media/ESPN and NBA insiders/journalists hate NY/Knicks? What exactly have we done to them? Getting no love on SC earlier in the morning. I mean we been in the same good position FA wise for the past 2 years and been talking about it since. We been the most prepared for this and they had no problem talking about it then.

I just shockingly saw Broussard not talk down on the Knicks in regards to our shot for LeBron. Maybe he succumbed to the twitter pressure/roasting. He didn't give us much of a chance since we're just pursuing LeBron with "faith"(like the other teams aren't) but he actually did speak positively on what we're doing and how we could get LBJ and improve the team if he comes with next year's free agency pool.

Oh well I'm tired of waiting (such an underrated statement). If LBJ doesn't sign here, I hope in the next two years we do have an unbelievable championship contending team and he busy playing with bums failing at life.

Source: Contract extension unlikely for Dirk Nowitzki, Mavericks
12:37 AM CDT on Monday, June 28, 2010

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News
[email protected]

Dirk Nowitzki is headed to free agency.

That's not a huge surprise, although the Mavericks were hoping talks about a contract extension for the nine-time all-star would come to fruition.

A source confirmed that an extension now is unlikely and that if the face of the franchise is to stay in Dallas, it will happen via a new contract in free agency.

Nowitzki said last month that he would exercise his early termination option and explore free agency. It's the first time he'll be free on the open market.

The team was able to continue negotiating until Nowitzki officially informed them that he would opt out, which must be done by Wednesday.

Assuming Nowitzki and adviser Holger Geschwindner take care of that detail, the Mavericks can begin negotiating a new contract, likely for four seasons.

Nowitzki has been in Europe vacationing the last few weeks. He probably will get a visit or a call from owner Mark Cuban and/or president Donnie Nelson at 11:01 p.m. Wednesday, when free-agent wooing can begin. Contracts can be signed starting July 8.

When Nowitzki opts out, he will be leaving $21.5 million on the table. A new deal could start at a lower number, but would provide more security by stretching over four years.

Originally Posted by DubA169

he's going to the bulls blah blah no he's going to the heat!!!

the reporters know NOTHING. not a damn thing about what's going to happen come july 1st.

i agree with the article that dolan is a positive for the first time in a while. if lebron was really a bulls fan growing up he knows how that dynasty was torn apart because of that cheap ++# owner.
you know what??!!! That's a very good argument right there! If only Dolan can point that out
nerd.gif

Back
Top Bottom