24/7/365 The Tomb Remains Guarded

gambit215, I did not properly explain myself so let me attempt to. 
What you must understand, and what my first post was attempting to explain, is that the concept of the hero is central to the proper functioning of any civilization (in this example the United States). Every cultural system, whether it is the high heroism of a Churchill, a Mao, or a Buddha, or the "low" heroism of a coal miner, a peasant, or a priest, cuts out a role for performances of various degrees of heroism.

It doesn't matter whether the cultural hero-system is magical, religious, primitive, secular or scientific. It is still a mythical hero-system in which people serve in order to earn a feeling of primary value, of cosmic specialness, of ultimate usefulness to creation. People, including you and me, earn this feeling, this necessary feeling which sustains the desirable and elusive feeling of primary value, by carving out a place in nature. Whether one does this by building a building, nurturing a family that spans generations, fighting in a war, or building a company, humans hope and desire that the things they create are of lasting worth and meaning. That they outlive or outshine death and decay.

No matter how scientific or secular Western society claims to be, it is still as "religious" as any other. CIvilized society is a hopeful belief and protest, that science, money and goods MAKE MAN COUNT for more than any other animal. How would our modern societies contrive to satisfy such an honest demand, without being shaken to their foundations? Only those societies we today call "primitive" provided this feeling for their members. The minority groups in present-day industrial society who shout for freedom and human dignity are really clumsily asking that they be given a sense of primary heroism of which they have been cheated historically.

In the more passive masses of mediocre men, heroism is disguised as they humbly and complainingly follow out the roles that society provides for their heroics and try to earn their promotions within the system: wearing the standard uniforms-but allowing themselves to stick out, but ever so little and so safely, with a little ribbon or a red boutonniere, but not with head and shoulders.

This paragraph is not to support what that Lone guard represents (guarding the remains of unknown and thus unrecognized heroes), but rather to point out that the hero, and the myth that surrounds them, is a necessity to civilization, which is what my brief post was about.

I hope you read this and understand what I actually meant. If you do decide to respond to this post I hope you can muster something a bit better than some emoticons and a claim that I know nothing of the country I live in.

You and I agree that the concept of the hero is "patriotic kool aide" however this patriotic kool aid is just one manifestation of the concept of the hero that is found in all human societies from antiquity to present day.

When I visited that place in 5th grade I asked my teacher what's the point in guarding it all the time.
To this day I've never received a straight answer.

Tomb of the Unknown Soldier holds a soldier from each major war (WWI, II, Korean, Vietnam. There is a tomb for Revolutionary war unknown in Philadelphia I believe).. in honor of the soldiers who were never identified.. it is always guarded. Got a chance to visit back in middle school.. if you don't love your country, its still honorable to respect people who gave their lives for it.. Also, they found out who the actual name of the soldier in the Vietnam tomb so they changed the engraving.

Originally Posted by gambit215

Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman

What's so incredible and cool about this? 
laugh.gif

How bad we waste our tax dollars
tired.gif

lol people saying our tax dollars. shut up u peasants live ur parents and are in HS. di que pur tax dollars.

Originally Posted by omgitswes

When I visited that place in 5th grade I asked my teacher what's the point in guarding it all the time.
To this day I've never received a straight answer.

was that because the only person you've asked was your 5th grade teacher?
honestly if this were set in any other modern/ancient society half of the people criticizing this wouldn't be so damn critical, they might even look at it as it should be viewed here –– a form of tradition that gives our young country some semblance of identity we might not otherwise be afforded.  

Maybe its because you hate the people who lead this country, maybe its because you feel that this country has !+%@#@!* ideals that have never and will never be truly realized, or maybe its because you think of those with any sense of patriotism as brainwashed sheep.  

Whatever the reason it's straight ignorance to evaluate this situation as anything more than a simple showing of unconditional respect for those who sacrificed themselves, whatever the cause.

Yall are disrespectful as hell.  Have some god damn decency.

this neo-i hate everything the government does movement is getting bigger everyday on NT.

That memoria is awesome everytime I see it. Easily my favorite monument/memorial in D.C.

To the negative commentators I think you should move to another country if you can't respect those who gave/give you the right to share your ignorance. Wish you would say that to my face id slap you to sleep.

I saw this my freshman year of HS. Saw the process where they change the guards and bring a wreath forward. NT can't even respect the guy who is risking his life to guard it during the hurricane smh

are the side comments always necessary?

i swear if an NT'er posted a picture of their grandmother's casket being dropped, there's always going to be those few dudes:

"what a waste of land real estate, she's not even alive (srs)"

Originally Posted by MECKS

Originally Posted by AR Guy

Nothing inside, it's just a monument.

not true. it holds unkown soldiers.

hence its name.

http://www.arlingtoncemet...omb_of_the_unknowns.html
Sort of true - I think it is just a monument - but it stands at the head of the grave of the WW1 unknown - and then there are other crypts around the square that hold the WW2 and Korean unknowns.

There used to be a Vietnam one too but he was identified with modern DNA methods in the late 90s, I think, so was disinterred and buried somewhere else. That crypt was replaced with a monument.

lol not one thread on NT goes by without some sort of cynicism. 
laugh.gif
Why does everyone have to feel obligated to say something against it?

Anyway, last year on Veteran's Day, my HS on our DC trip was there for the changing of the guard and wreath at the tomb. Obama was away in Korea so we saw Joe Biden do the wreath. I also got to shake Biden's hand afterwards because he showed up at the part of the cemetery we were visiting for an alumni from school that was killed in Afghanistan. He macks on girls like no other, it's borderline creepy.

Those soldiers have to be literally perfect for everything. There is a certain weight, height, size in order to be the guard, and your military record has to be spotless and commendable. Those guys are serious about their job too. Some woman had her legs past the railing, and the guard got out of his march and was like, "MA'AM PLEASE KEEP YOUR PERSON WITHIN THE BOUNDARIES." She was pretty shook at how austere the guard was.

Q: What are the physical traits of the guard limited to?

A: For a person to apply for guard duty at the tomb, he must be between 5' 10" and 6' 2" tall and his waist size cannot exceed 30".

Other requirements of the Guard:

They must commit 2 years of life to guard the tomb, live in a barracks under the tomb, and cannot drink any alcohol on or off duty FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES. They cannot swear in public FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES and cannot disgrace the uniform {fighting} or the tomb in any way.

After TWO YEARS, the guard is given a wreath pin that is worn on their lapel signifying they served as guard of the tomb. There are only 400 presently worn. The guard must obey these rules for the rest of their lives or give up the wreath pin.

The shoes are specially made with very thick soles to keep the heat and cold from their feet. There are metal heel plates that extend to the top of the shoe in order to make the loud click as they come to a halt. There are no wrinkles, folds or lint on the uniform. Guards dress for duty in front of a full-length mirror.

The first SIX MONTHS of duty a guard cannot talk to anyone, nor watch TV. All off duty time is spent studying the 175 notable people laid to rest in Arlington National Cemetery. A guard must memorize who they are and where they are interred. Among the notables are: President Taft, Joe E. Lewis {the boxer} and Medal of Honor winner Audie Murphy, {the most decorated soldier of WWII} of Hollywood fame. Every guard spends FIVE HOURS A DAY getting his uniforms ready for guard duty.

A: For a person to apply for guard duty at the tomb, he must be between 5' 10" and 6' 2" tall and his waist size cannot exceed 30".

They must commit 2 years of life to guard the tomb, live in a barracks under the tomb, and cannot drink any alcohol on or off duty FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES. They cannot swear in public FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES and cannot disgrace the uniform {fighting} or the tomb in any way.

After TWO YEARS, the guard is given a wreath pin that is worn on their lapel signifying they served as guard of the tomb. There are only 400 presently worn. The guard must obey these rules for the rest of their lives or give up the wreath pin.

The shoes are specially made with very thick soles to keep the heat and cold from their feet. There are metal heel plates that extend to the top of the shoe in order to make the loud click as they come to a halt. There are no wrinkles, folds or lint on the uniform. Guards dress for duty in front of a full-length mirror.

The first SIX MONTHS of duty a guard cannot talk to anyone, nor watch TV. All off duty time is spent studying the 175 notable people laid to rest in Arlington National Cemetery. A guard must memorize who they are and where they are interred. Among the notables are: President Taft, Joe E. Lewis {the boxer} and Medal of Honor winner Audie Murphy, {the most decorated soldier of WWII} of Hollywood fame. Every guard spends FIVE HOURS A DAY getting his uniforms ready for guard duty.
eek.gif

Yeah, they're pretty crazy requirements. I think I read somewhere too that they cut their hair twice a day too.

The award that they get is also the only one that can be taken away after they have finished their military career - for bring the Sentinel's into disrepute.

Back
Top Bottom