24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

Earn 50,000 bonus points when you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That’s $625 in travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards[emoji]174[/emoji]. You will earn another 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase within the first 3 months of account opening. This card was named a ‘Best Credit Card’ for Travel Rewards by MONEY Magazine and is one of my favorite cards because you earn 2x points on travel and dining at restaurants and 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases. There are no foreign transaction fees when using this card abroad and it is chip-enabled for enhanced security and wider acceptance when used at a chip card reader. This card comes with an Introductory annual fee of $0 the first year, then $125.

Read more: http://thepointsguy.com/membership/top-deals-3/#ixzz3xcTYwmix

Earn 50,000 points $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of card opening – redeemable for $500 in gift cards, $625 for airfare, or other great rewards. Additionally you will earn 3 ThankYou Points on travel including gas, 2 points on dining out and entertainment and 1 ThankYou point on other purchases. This card comes with a $95 annual fee that is waived for the first 12 months and there are no foreign transaction fees on purchases.

Read more: http://thepointsguy.com/membership/top-deals-3/#ixzz3xcTeWd7i

^^ Does anyone know if the 50,000 Thank You Points can be transferred to United Mileage Plus at a 1 to 1 point transfer?

I wouldn't mind getting that card,but I want to be sure it transfers to United. Planning an Asia or Africa trip later this year and 50,000 more points would give it to me for free through United.

Citi Prestige[emoji]174[/emoji] Card

:lol:

It's a great cash back card but if you travel a bit, points > cash back. It's not even close.

Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer is one of just two frequent flyer programs that partners with all four of the major transferable loyalty currencies: Chase Ultimate Rewards, Amex Membership Rewards, Starwood Preferred Guest and Citi ThankYou Rewards (the other is Virgin Atlantic Flying Club). To book my Suite, I decided to draw from the stockpile of Citi ThankYou points I earned from my new Citi ThankYou Premier card. The transfer to my KrisFlyer account took a day or two, so note the delay if you’re trying to book an award urgently.

Suites are only available on Singapore’s Airbus A380 aircraft, which the airline uses on its service between Frankfurt and New York-JFK, among other routes. If I had purchased my seat, I would have paid $5,500 each way based on a round-trip. Singapore charges 67,500 miles for this award at the Saver level, but also offers a 15% discount to KrisFlyer members who book online, so it ends up costing 57,375 miles, giving you nearly 10 cents in value per redeemed mile.

Read more: http://thepointsguy.com/2015/06/singapore-a380-suites-review/#ixzz3xYc1dpZY

Another example, there's a great deal from NYC to Rio De Janeiro for $500 non-stop on AA. I have the Citi prestige card which gives me 1.6 cents per point towards AA flights. I have platinum status with AA so they will double my miles flown. It would cost me a measly 11K to fly round trip. Let's say each point is worth 1 cent which is what theyre worth when you use them for gift cards, thats $110 for a 10 hour flight.

Thats a good look right there. We discussed the mileage or cash back thing in here before but quite honestly like other dudes said in here those mileage points you rack up from spending isnt really as hot as dudes make it out to be. Like how much have you had to spend on attaining those initial mileage points unless it was a promotion.

What do I know though :lol:

^^ Does anyone know if the 50,000 Thank You Points can be transferred to United Mileage Plus at a 1 to 1 point transfer?

I wouldn't mind getting that card,but I want to be sure it transfers to United. Planning an Asia or Africa trip later this year and 50,000 more points would give it to me for free through United.

Citi Prestige[emoji]174[/emoji] Card

I think chase is the only one who transfers to United. If you can max out the benefits of the prestige card, id get it. It's my favorite card. If you get a Citigold banking account, theyll knock $100 off the annual fee and you get a 15% bonus of the points you earned through out the year. There's an offer out there where you get 40K or 50K to just make 1 bill payment in 2 consecutive months. If you dont have at least $50K in your account, there's a $30 monthly charge.

Thats a good look right there. We discussed the mileage or cash back thing in here before but quite honestly like other dudes said in here those mileage points you rack up from spending isnt really as hot as dudes make it out to be. Like how much have you had to spend on attaining those initial mileage points unless it was a promotion.

What do I know though :lol:

A lot of people play the game. They'll apply for a credit card and cancel it before the annual fee is due. Some cards waive the fee for the first year though so that definitely helps. Banks are starting to catch on and limit how many cards you can apply for. Citi makes you wait 18 months before you can get another sign up bonus for a card youve had before. Amex won't let you get a second sign up bonus if youve had the card before ever.

Citi premier and Chase Sapphire preferred waive the fee the first year so you don't pay anything. You'll get the huge sign up bonuses and after a year of spend you decide if the card is worth paying the annual fee for. I called to cancel my citi premier card a while ago and they waived the fee for me. I also got a offer of 10K points when I spent $3k. I'm in year two and I still havent spent a dime to have the card.

For example, the Citi Prestige card.

Annual fee - $350

I received a 60K sign up bonus - $600
$250 Air travel credit (every calendar year) - $500
Points earned via spend + 15% bonus - X
American Airlines lounge access - X
4th night free perk - $350

I went to Hawaii last year and they paid for my 4th night, that covered my annual fee alone. I'm on the plus side for everything else. I'm definitely keeping it.

Last edited:
Nope. Amex platinum is all about perks. I'm probably going to cancel mine this month. I wish it had some bonus categories so you can earn more points.

how long have you had it for? Is that your only Amex charge card and how does the charge card report on your credit file since it doesn't have a limit. I still think Amex platinum is up there considering it's ranked right under the black card, that's the only card above the platinum.

Had a platinum Amex for 4 years now.

I love both my Amex cards and yes it shows on your credit report. Helped my score a lot from what I can see.

Last edited:
Had a platinum Amex for 4 years now.

I love both my Amex cards and yes it shows on your credit report. Helped my score a lot from what I can see.

Nice. Out of the 4 years does your Amex platinum standout and receive compliments? And what are your favorite perks about the card and do you think it's worth the hefty annual fee?

Bruh, trust me don't get the AMEX for the wow factor. Only people that will notice are gold diggers nobody else cares foreal. You want to pay $450/yr ($250/yr with the $200 airline offset) just to hear people compliment your card, it's not that serious.

Bruh, trust me don't get the AMEX for the wow factor. Only people that will notice are gold diggers nobody else cares foreal. You want to pay $450/yr ($250/yr with the $200 airline offset) just to hear people compliment your card, it's not that serious.

Lol this. Like dude really wants to get a credit card for conpliments

I'm just starting to look into credit cards with points. every time a trip is coming up I tell myself to sign up for one to get more points, perks, etc. but I never do. I think I may have asked already a few pages ago as well :lol:

Hard to find a card that's in between a frequent flyer/traveler and a non-frequent one to enjoy the perks. So if anyone has input on my current choices right now or a better one to look into let me know.

Right now I'm looking at the discover it miles card to get started. I already have a discover it card so I'm used to their points system so that's a plus for me. I can also use my points to cover some of my purchase instead of having to wait to accumulate enough points to cover for one trip. Overall seems like a good starter for me seeing as they double the points after a year. After that year though, I don't see it getting much use.

2nd choice is Virgin signature card. We mostly fly Virgin so that's one of the main reasons I would choose it. The annual fee should be covered by their $150 companion ticket per year as well. Spending for a sign up bonus is also pretty low even if I get their premium version of their card. I dislike having to wait til I have the exact amount of points to redeem it though and being stuck to one airline even though that's what we mostly use for domestic.

the prestige card mentioned above seems cool too but I can't see myself spending $3k in 3 months even if I try and funnel all my purchases through that card. And the annual fee when I checked is now $450 but you get $250 back in air credit (which I'm guessing is applicable to any airline?)

Yeah thankfully I had enough sense to just go for the premier rewards gold card when I was 19 
laugh.gif
. It serves me well now I use it like a debit card and I have never received a compliment on it.

I'm just starting to look into credit cards with points. every time a trip is coming up I tell myself to sign up for one to get more points, perks, etc. but I never do. I think I may have asked already a few pages ago as well :lol:

Hard to find a card that's in between a frequent flyer/traveler and a non-frequent one to enjoy the perks. So if anyone has input on my current choices right now or a better one to look into let me know.

Right now I'm looking at the discover it miles card to get started. I already have a discover it card so I'm used to their points system so that's a plus for me. I can also use my points to cover some of my purchase instead of having to wait to accumulate enough points to cover for one trip. Overall seems like a good starter for me seeing as they double the points after a year. After that year though, I don't see it getting much use.

2nd choice is Virgin signature card. We mostly fly Virgin so that's one of the main reasons I would choose it. The annual fee should be covered by their $150 companion ticket per year as well. Spending for a sign up bonus is also pretty low even if I get their premium version of their card. I dislike having to wait til I have the exact amount of points to redeem it though and being stuck to one airline even though that's what we mostly use for domestic.

the prestige card mentioned above seems cool too but I can't see myself spending $3k in 3 months even if I try and funnel all my purchases through that card. And the annual fee when I checked is now $450 but you get $250 back in air credit (which I'm guessing is applicable to any airline?)

I'd roll with the Chase Sapphire preferred or Citi premier card because of the huge sign up bonuses. You'd have to see what bonus categories and perks work better for you. You said you'd have trouble spending $3K in 3 months though so that probably wouldn't work for you.

I'm thinking of applying for the Virgin card myself. The only difference between the premium ($150 annual fee) and basic ($49) is you'll get an extra 5K points for the $1K spend,you can earn points towards status on the premium but would have to spend a lot, and no change or cancellation fees when you have the premium card. If those perks are important to you I'd apply for the premium otherwise just get the basic card. You can always apply for the premium later on. One round trip with a checked bag would already put you on the plus side with the basic card.

Yes, you can use the $250 airline credit with any airline with the Citi Prestige card. You will get another $250 every January 1. So if you apply today, you'd have 18 days to use it next year and cancel it before the annual fee is due if the card isn't worth it for you. You can also use it for airline gift cards when you purchase them directly through the airline.

Last edited:
Lol I thought the double cashback bonus was still going on.

Dudes missing that Discover referral money lol.

Lol it is still going on which is a pretty good deal still. Essentially 2% cash back on everything then double all of the other promotions and discover deals. So if anyone looking to get a Discover It card let me know :nerd:

It was a simple question I was wondering what's it like for people who hold the Amex platinum, calm down lol. What's the big deal for me asking. And what are you talking about bro an Amex platinum isn't even a credit card it's a charge card, get out this thread you don't even know the difference you're not even credible.

Yeah thankfully I had enough sense to just go for the premier rewards gold card when I was 19 :lol: . It serves me well now I use it like a debit card and I have never received a compliment on it.

Nice. But at the age of 19 was the Amex prg still priced at a 175-195 fee? That's still a hefty annual fee for a 19 year old you can't deny that getting that gold Amex didn't make you feel " special " for that moment lol. Let's just be honest. Too many people wanna play the innocent role like who cares what people think when they do care about what brand product they get themselves. A car takes you from point a to b but there's no reason to bash anyone who wants a Benz vs a Honda. I'm not saying I want the card for the wow factor only, I even asked how's the perks and does it justify the AF. The 200 fee credit offsets half the AF, free access to the centurion lounge free food and drinks all you want and can invite 2 guests, automatic perks and upgrades for selected hotels, etc. the list goes on . I was simply wondering if the card gave off any wow factor as bonus type of question when considering the card after analyzing the perks. Just like having a metal card from the CSP was a nice cherry on the top lol. If that's a problem then idk what to say I don't think it's a big deal.

Last edited:

It was a simple question I was wondering what's it like for people who hold the Amex platinum, calm down lol. What's the big deal for me asking. And what are you talking about bro an Amex platinum isn't even a credit card it's a charge card, get out this thread you don't even know the difference you're not even credible.

Yeah thankfully I had enough sense to just go for the premier rewards gold card when I was 19 :lol: . It serves me well now I use it like a debit card and I have never received a compliment on it.

Nice. But at the age of 19 was the Amex prg still priced at a 175-195 fee? That's still a hefty annual fee for a 19 year old you can't deny that getting that gold Amex didn't make you feel " special " for that moment lol. Let's just be honest. Too many people wanna play the innocent role like who cares what people think when they do care about what brand product they get themselves. A car takes you from point a to b but there's no reason to bash anyone who wants a Benz vs a Honda. I'm not saying I want the card for the wow factor only, I even asked how's the perks and does it justify the AF. The 200 fee credit offsets half the AF, free access to the centurion lounge free food and drinks all you want and can invite 2 guests, automatic perks and upgrades for selected hotels, etc. the list goes on . I was simply wondering if the card gave off any wow factor as bonus type of question when considering the card after analyzing the perks. Just like having a metal card from the CSP was a nice cherry on the top lol. If that's a problem then idk what to say I don't think it's a big deal.

My man it's not about credibility. You're really asking if a certain card still has a "wow factor" or if you're gonna get compliments on it. I see you said you're 19 but grow up man. You didn't initially ask if the benefits of the card would offset the annual fee

Back
Top Bottom