24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

If my limit for a credit card is 10K, and I don't really use much of it...say less than 5% per month, would that affect my credit score?

I would rather use my Bank of America card over my Amex for better cash back

That's a good thing and if it affects your credit score it will affect it in a good way, less means lower utilization reported. Also as others have said, just use whatever card is best in maximizing your rewards.

Hey NT fam looking for some advice. I'm 19 and looking to start building my credit into solid 700s within the next few months. My fico score is about 690 but I don't really have solid history behind it. I have a secured card I started with about a year ago but that limit is barely 600. Where do I begin?Should I try to get a loan and pay it back quickly? Should I start applying for more credit cards? Any suggestions?

Hey NT fam looking for some advice. I'm 19 and looking to start building my credit into solid 700s within the next few months. My fico score is about 690 but I don't really have solid history behind it. I have a secured card I started with about a year ago but that limit is barely 600. Where do I begin?Should I try to get a loan and pay it back quickly? Should I start applying for more credit cards? Any suggestions?

Unless you're planning on buying a car or house soon, you really shouldn't really need to be rushing to improve your credit score. Apply for one of the easier cards to get (most people here recommend Discover) and keep paying it off every month. You're young, and it's great that you're looking into this at this age, but you shouldn't have a lot to worry about. Just don't spend more on your CC than you can pay with cash.

Unless you're planning on buying a car or house soon, you really shouldn't really need to be rushing to improve your credit score. Apply for one of the easier cards to get (most people here recommend Discover) and keep paying it off every month. You're young, and it's great that you're looking into this at this age, but you shouldn't have a lot to worry about. Just don't spend more on your CC than you can pay with cash.
I'm looking to invest in a big rig (I have a class A liscense.) I've been looking around and I've got the down payment but not the credit as I might have to try and finance about 20-30k. Trying to get my credit right before I apply by the beginning/ end of the year. Trying to boss up. I appreciate all and any suggestions to try to help me reach my goal.

Last edited:
I applied to another card. Will maxing it out and paying it all off a day after help? Or will it do the opposite because I'm using too much of my utilization? I might go get a few thousand dollar loan put it in a account and just let it pay itself automatically every month.

I applied to another card. Will maxing it out and paying it all off a day after help? Or will it do the opposite because I'm using too much of my utilization? I might go get a few thousand dollar loan put it in a account and just let it pay itself automatically every month.
don't get a loan

I never had a credit card until a year ago. I had neither good or bad credit so what i did was got a Capital one secured credit card. I paid $300 and they gave me a $300 limit. A few month ago they offered me an increase to $1300. My credit score is now 740. Never missed a payment and i have nothing else in my name that goes towards my credit. This card alone gave me that score.

Got that Capital One bonus a couple days after that 2nd direct deposit hit. I feel kinda bad about cancelling the account right after that :rofl:

Does Chase ever do credit line increase?

They gave me two CL increases on my Freedom Unlimited card without asking. The first time was when I was approaching my max amount and then the second time was after my last billing cycle with 0% APR.

Other than that, I believe requesting an increase results in a hard pull.

yeah, chase sucks....I use it because they are THEE bank, but other than that I stick to Discover/Amex

To avoid higher interest rates in the case I'm not able to pay the balance off in full. I paid it off this month to only see the credit increase. Not that I don't mind it, but I know I don't have the best spending habits.

Will take the advice in mind though. Thanks.

Well if you can possibly control y
I never had a credit card until a year ago. I had neither good or bad credit so what i did was got a Capital one secured credit card. I paid $300 and they gave me a $300 limit. A few month ago they offered me an increase to $1300. My credit score is now 740. Never missed a payment and i have nothing else in my name that goes towards my credit. This card alone gave me that score.

If you can, can you please time date everything that happened to get you where you are.. detail everything

If you can, can you please time date everything that happened to get you where you are.. detail everything

First i should say this is in Canada but i really don't think it matters since Transunion and Capital One are US companies.

When i turned 18 i got a phone on a 3 year plan. Being a dumb dumb i ran it up then flaked out on it. That was around $1500 that went to collections. Also around the same time there was an issue with my brother calling home collect from prison the whole time the phone was under my name. It got up to $1400 so that went to collections. Soon after that i got my stuff together and luckily i had no use for needing any credit. So the years went on and one day i said f it i'm gonna pay this off and build up my credit. So i ordered my credit reports from Equifax and Transunion and surprisingly it said i owed nothing. Zero. I guess what happens is after 6 or 7 years if don't pay your debt it gets completely wiped clean just like it never happened. As long as you don't acknowledge the debt and make any payments on it. Crazy.

Anyway, since i had neither good or bad credit i decided to apply for the secured Capital One card in November. I got a letter in the mail saying they would give me a $300 limit if i gave them $300 in security funds. My card also has a $59 annual fee. I would then use the card a couple times a month charging maybe $100 to it never going over my limit and then paying it back way before my due date (Not that that matters as long as it's paid before the due date). In July i signed into my account and there was a thing offering me $1000 increase to $1300. I accepted. So i'm gonna keep building up this card and then maybe in 6 months to a year i'm gonna go to my bank and get one for a decent amount.

Here are a couple screenshots. One is from Capital one and one is from Credit Karma (Free Transunion credit score). Now what's interesting is that around the time when i got my increase it looks like that's when my score started really going up if you look at the chart on the Credit Karma one (Left).

Screenshot (214).png Screenshot (215).png

Well if you can possibly control y

My income isn't the best right now but I could definitely manage it better. Just not where I want to be financially and trying to force things when I want them to happen is the hardest part for me.

First i should say this is in Canada but i really don't think it matters since Transunion and Capital One are US companies.

When i turned 18 i got a phone on a 3 year plan. Being a dumb dumb i ran it up then flaked out on it. That was around $1500 that went to collections. Also around the same time there was an issue with my brother calling home collect from prison the whole time the phone was under my name. It got up to $1400 so that went to collections. Soon after that i got my stuff together and luckily i had no use for needing any credit. So the years went on and one day i said f it i'm gonna pay this off and build up my credit. So i ordered my credit reports from Equifax and Transunion and surprisingly it said i owed nothing. Zero. I guess what happens is after 6 or 7 years if don't pay your debt it gets completely wiped clean just like it never happened. As long as you don't acknowledge the debt and make any payments on it. Crazy.

Anyway, since i had neither good or bad credit i decided to apply for the secured Capital One card in November. I got a letter in the mail saying they would give me a $300 limit if i gave them $300 in security funds. My card also has a $59 annual fee. I would then use the card a couple times a month charging maybe $100 to it never going over my limit and then paying it back way before my due date (Not that that matters as long as it's paid before the due date). In July i signed into my account and there was a thing offering me $1000 increase to $1300. I accepted. So i'm gonna keep building up this card and then maybe in 6 months to a year i'm gonna go to my bank and get one for a decent amount.

Here are a couple screenshots. One is from Capital one and one is from Credit Karma (Free Transunion credit score). Now what's interesting is that around the time when i got my increase it looks like that's when my score started really going up if you look at the chart on the Credit Karma one (Left).

Screenshot (214).png Screenshot (215).png

Okay cool thanks, very informative. im slowly working my way to those 700 levels.

Is Transunion always the highest? It is for me, and essentially everyone I have ever been privy to.

Equifax got hacked :smh:

Even more important to get you credit reports every year to make sure there isn't any funny business

Back
Top Bottom