24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

I used Citi, they had a 21 mo. promo period and I did the same thing you're planning on. Not sure what they have now, but maybe look at Chase Slate too. Your score is solid enough to qualify for pretty much any bt card if you need.

I Checked the City but the average Score required for the card is about a 730.. So i'm thinking it's kind of Risky to Take that hard pull & Still not get accepted.

I'm now down to one credit inquiry on my report. Time to get a better card

I currently have a store credit card through The Gap with a 5k limit and a Chase Freedom Unlimited card with a 9.5k limit.

Both cards are carrying a 24% APR but I pay it off on full every month.

My primary concerns are a lower APR, no foreign transaction fee, and miles. Anyone have any suggestions?

Any tips for a stagnant score? Biggest debt is a student loan and car. Not sure if I should ask for a limit increase on my current 2 cards or get another I know it’s recommended to have a few lines. One car is 0 other has a balance of like $800 I pay off monthly like 50-60. My score hasn’t moved in weeks however. But as he post above I am interested in a rewards card for miles. Open to suggestions

I'm now down to one credit inquiry on my report. Time to get a better card

I currently have a store credit card through The Gap with a 5k limit and a Chase Freedom Unlimited card with a 9.5k limit.

Both cards are carrying a 24% APR but I pay it off on full every month.

My primary concerns are a lower APR, no foreign transaction fee, and miles. Anyone have any suggestions?

Since you already have the Chase FU, you should definitely look at CSP or the CSR. Neither of those have foreign transaction fees and they both offer points where you can redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards. Just remember they both have annual fees. CSP is $95 ($0 for first year) and CSR is $450.

450 is definitely out. Too much money and I don't think I'll fully utilize the card.

It helps her

Once I have kids i am going to add them to a couple of my cards as soon as I can and not even give it to them to give them a head start
I do the same for my little brother. I exclusively use the card in his name which is tied to my account. When he' 18 he'll be getting a card solely in his name which I will keep.

My flight from Cairo to NYC was delayed because of Snow last month. I had to fly out the next day,

So I took advantage of the Trip Delay benefit. I racked up $860 between me and my Fiance on Hotel Stay, Food, Transportation.

I submitted the claim when I came back, just got approval that they will reimburse me for all this. Check is in the mail!

My flight from Cairo to NYC was delayed because of Snow last month. I had to fly out the next day,

So I took advantage of the Trip Delay benefit. I racked up $860 between me and my Fiance on Hotel Stay, Food, Transportation.

I submitted the claim when I came back, just got approval that they will reimburse me for all this. Check is in the mail!

What card is this?

For the folks who add AU’s to their account since I saw this happen with my coworker.

He opened an Amex Gold account and added his wife to the account, she used the card with her name mostly instead of him using his card and after about a month they put a hold on the account and put him through financial review bc they said they did that to make sure they were lending to the primary account holder and it took about 2 days for him to get his card back.

I never experienced that with Amex since I didnt have an AU on the account when I opened it in 07. So just some info for ya’ll when you are opening accounts with AU’s. Im sure Amex isnt the only one who does this.

What? That makes no sense lol. It’s an authorized user...why would that be an issue. If anything it’s good for them.

Thanks for the heads up tho. Credit cards and scores get you in unexpected ways.

I have two cards chase mileage plus and BofA that charge me annual fees. I want to cancel them but they have super high limits and are very old so it’ll hurt my credit a lot to get rid of them. Seems sneaky to make me continue keeping them..catch 22

Some of these annual fee cards have great sign up bonuses and other beneficial perks that people use in the first year. Some cards also waive the fee for the first year so you essentially have the card 2 years, use all the sign up bonuses and what not then cancel when the fee comes up...

Kinda off topic, but here goes anyway.

Has anyone taken a personal finance course in college and would you recommend it? I'd like to learn more about saving/managing money, credit, investment, tracking finances, etc but not sure if that's something I could find in a $30 book or if there's a benefit to take an entire course on it. Seems like info I could get for free. Just want to hear some of your thoughts.

I will never get a card with an annual fee. Idc what the perks are, that’s not what I’m in this game for.

Open your mind... Some of the best cards have annual fees and give the best rewards.

Chase Sapphire Reserve annual fee is $450 but they give you free $300 in travel credits (you pay $300 for a flight, the charge gets refunded next day) brings the "net fee" down to $150. Then fsctof in the other benefits, points, etc... It's worth it.

I signed up and got 100k points, which if only using as cash back is worth $1,000. If using to book with the Chase travel portal it's worth $1500. Transfer to travel partners it can be worth even more .

Wife did the same, but downgraded the card to a non-annual fee card before her second annual fee kicked in. Still got the $300 travel credit last year and this year. So $600 in free travel plus 150k points for $450.

I have two cards chase mileage plus and BofA that charge me annual fees. I want to cancel them but they have super high limits and are very old so it’ll hurt my credit a lot to get rid of them. Seems sneaky to make me continue keeping them..catch 22

Can you switch those cards to another card with no annual fee?
I did that for my old CapOne Platinum card (charged me annual fee)
Signed up for a new CapOne Quicksilver card (no annual fee) + combined them both

Question for you guys,

Have had my Capital One Secured card (First and only CC) since June of last year. Have done very well with it, have always made my payments before the due date, and got an increase in November. Due to some unforeseen issues, I’m unable to make my full payment by the due date (20th)

Besides the late fee, is there a possibility that they can decrease my credit limit, and/or take the card away? I’ve come a long way in rebuilding my credit, don’t really want a setback.

Question for you guys,

Have had my Capital One Secured card (First and only CC) since June of last year. Have done very well with it, have always made my payments before the due date, and got an increase in November. Due to some unforeseen issues, I’m unable to make my full payment by the due date (20th)

Besides the late fee, is there a possibility that they can decrease my credit limit, and/or take the card away? I’ve come a long way in rebuilding my credit, don’t really want a setback.

I wouldn't see them doing that for one late payment, but what I would do is call and discuss arrangements with them. Get out in front of the issue.

Has anyone taken a personal finance course in college and would you recommend it? I'd like to learn more about saving/managing money, credit, investment, tracking finances, etc but not sure if that's something I could find in a $30 book or if there's a benefit to take an entire course on it. Seems like info I could get for free. Just want to hear some of your thoughts.
If its something that will help over the course of your life, I'd recommend it. Personally I skipped those classes, but if you are still on the ground level and dont necessarily understand personal finance (not just saving money every paycheck) to where you're comfortable, it wouldnt hurt.

Great book on basics https://books.google.com/books/abou...ver&source=kp_read_button#v=onepage&q&f=false

that or check Dave Ramsey,

Richest Man in Bablyon is another great read

Im getting there
388FAD4A-EC23-4DD8-8A0F-F6D75B823641.jpeg

Dave Ramsey is that dude. Listen to his podcast daily. I don't do the cash envelope thing cause I have no need for it but most of the stuff he says is solid.

What's a good card for balance transfers right now? I'm carrying a bit much on my discover right now & don't wanna start paying interest on it.

My score is around 710-730 right now & I honetly wouldn't have any intentions of using the card other than to hold the balance while i pay it off.

I tried transfering my discover it -> chase, come to find out discover does not accept a cc payment, or am i doing it wrong? :-/

Back
Top Bottom