24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

I've got two papers left until I complete my Masters. I have a full time job and been paying for my Masters out of pocket. ~$7,000 for both papers, thinking about using one of my credit cards which has a promotional 0% APR until August 2020 to pay for that. Stupid idea? The only other option is to split that across two other credit cards or apply for a small loan with low interest.

I've got two papers left until I complete my Masters. I have a full time job and been paying for my Masters out of pocket. ~$7,000 for both papers, thinking about using one of my credit cards which has a promotional 0% APR until August 2020 to pay for that. Stupid idea? The only other option is to split that across two other credit cards or apply for a small loan with low interest.
Think this ad under your post sums it up

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191029-154758_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191029-154758_Chrome.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 1,651
I have yet to use it, but I'm pretty sure I've seen them trying to push ATM withdrawals via the Chase App before. Via your "debit card" but strickly using the app.

BoA has it where you can set it an ATM withdrawal within the app before you even get there and then use your phone to complete the transaction. Before switching to my credit union I would use my Chase debit card on my mobile device to complete transactions at the ATM. I do not like taking out my wallet anymore.

Sounds like a good idea, until 2020 comes up and you still have a large portion of the balance to pay off since you feel like you have breathing room. Then that interest fee hit, and your like i ****ed up..

so less than a year. only way that sounds good is if you're making large monthly payments for the next 10 months

knowing how most of us would think, we likely would be making the minimum and think well no interest, etc etc

you'll get trapped then hit with all this interest

I get the logic but I personally wouldn’t put that balance on my CC. If you’re disciplined it’s doable but I’d think about possible emergencies and such that could hamper your cash flow then getting you off track from paying that balance down.

Can you pay $700/month for the next 10 months? If yes, then I don't see an issue doing it. If no, then probably not the best idea. Then again, you can always open another 0% card at the time and transfer whatever you have left to that one.... BUT - don't get caught up in that cycle of just pushing it to new cards once a year.

My wife's master - we paid completely on credit cards. Well, she got like $5k per year tuition reimbursement (which helped some). I just opened up a few Chase business cards that had 0%, paid tuition, got the 50-80k Chase UR points, and pay it off before the 0% ends. Payments are like $1k / month though...

If you can pay it off in time then there’s no issue. I was charging my graduate tuition to my card in spurts. No card transaction fee either going through the bursar directly.

Yo I just realized why some bills can only be paid with a bank account instead of credit because theoretically you would then be able to pay off credit with other credit in a cycle till the day you die :lol:

Any of these credit repair services legit? I always see people claiming to be able to delete missed payments and what not.

How the hell is someone able to remove an accurate late payment? :lol:

Any of these credit repair services legit? I always see people claiming to be able to delete missed payments and what not.

How the hell is someone able to remove an accurate late payment? :lol:

some pages back someone mentioned a legit one. I would try Credit Karma free dispute. It's free. It's legit. It takes a couple clicks

some pages back someone mentioned a legit one. I would try Credit Karma free dispute. It's free. It's legit. It takes a couple clicks

Ah I see..some of these companies are claiming to remove late payments though but for a lot of people, the late payment is legit not an error and people are still getting them removed?

I'm not 100 percent sure.
I think its just certain credit laws, that if you know how to use them you can sometimes clean things up. A regular person might not know detailed maneuvers.

Like things are suppose to fall off your credit report after 7 years.

Or when a third party company buys your debt, like sometimes they're missing information. So if they can't verify certain information they have to drop it off.

Or this is just me making stuff up, but maybe there are forgiveness programs that the company you hired can call who's holding your debt. Then talk with them about dropping the missed payment because of this that blah blah..

There's some really knowledgeable dudes in here that live this life. So, they would have a way better explanation. But this is just my guess.

So guys I need your opinion:

I would say I opened up my first cc with golden 1 when I started college 8 years ago. It’s been my only card since. Was just a student visa , with $500 limit, with little to no interest. Over the years I would max it out almost every pay cycle, with making minimum payments. At times I wouldn’t even make the minimum payment. Fast forward to last week, I was curious if I was able to raise my limit. Dude told me I had a 812 credit score which was insanely shocking to me. I thought it ducked by the way I was utilizing this card and barely making payments. I now have the limit at 3k on the same card. Not gonna lie, I kinda went crazy purchasing random **** this week lol. My question is what’s a good card to add along with this one. This one doesn’t have any perks other than minimal interest. What do you guys suggest as a good 2nd cc. I’m thinking amex?

What’s the lowest credit score you can do a credit bank transfer with? I wanna take advantage of this no interest for a year thing I’m seeing

So guys I need your opinion:

I would say I opened up my first cc with golden 1 when I started college 8 years ago. It’s been my only card since. Was just a student visa , with $500 limit, with little to no interest. Over the years I would max it out almost every pay cycle, with making minimum payments. At times I wouldn’t even make the minimum payment. Fast forward to last week, I was curious if I was able to raise my limit. Dude told me I had a 812 credit score which was insanely shocking to me. I thought it ducked by the way I was utilizing this card and barely making payments. I now have the limit at 3k on the same card. Not gonna lie, I kinda went crazy purchasing random **** this week lol. My question is what’s a good card to add along with this one. This one doesn’t have any perks other than minimal interest. What do you guys suggest as a good 2nd cc. I’m thinking amex?
Discover IT has a first year cash back match and quarterly 5% on purchases

Back
Top Bottom