24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

lol u right. had to get that joke off

didn't want ppl starting out to think its nessesary to pay 20 per for that
a lot of CC's will do it for free

It's all good. My reasons are personal for doing it, but would I recommend it for everyone nah. Experian does it for free for sure and I believe most credit unions provide a free score monthly for certain bureaus.

A lot of sites, credit cards, credit unions, even big banks give the monitoring for free. Chase/Amex/Discover all offer free monitoring w/o having an account or card. Most are Experian or TransUnion monitoring. I don't know anywhere that checks Equifax daily for free. CreditKarma will check Equifax report monthly (Transunion daily) for free. You can get free monthly from Equifax directly too, or pay them $5 a month for daily.

Most people can get by monitoring two for bureaus for free, and locking Equifax. If you ever have been victim of identity fraud, then paying for more active monitoring is probably recommended if you aren't locking everything.

Regardless if you pay or not, everyone should be monitoring all 3 whichever way you can.

A lot of sites, credit cards, credit unions, even big banks give the monitoring for free. Chase/Amex/Discover all offer free monitoring w/o having an account or card. Most are Experian or TransUnion monitoring. I don't know anywhere that checks Equifax daily for free. CreditKarma will check Equifax report monthly (Transunion daily) for free. You can get free monthly from Equifax directly too, or pay them $5 a month for daily.

Most people can get by monitoring two for bureaus for free, and locking Equifax. If you ever have been victim of identity fraud, then paying for more active monitoring is probably recommended if you aren't locking everything.

Regardless if you pay or not, everyone should be monitoring all 3 whichever way you can.
if u read the fine print, chase/amex/disco offers "free" in turn for selling ur info
same w creditkarma

On Thursday my credit score mysteriously dropped 34 points (767 to 733). Credit utilization is at 7% and I pay off all cards at the end of every month just like I have for years. Only thing I noticed on one of my BOA cards on that day is that there was an “Interest Charge Error Correction“ where BOA credited my account $0.11.

My best theory is that BOA made a mistake and reported bad info to credit bureau, before correcting mistake and crediting money back to my account. I never pay interest because I never carry a balance but somehow they charged me interest for something and corrected it. BOA fixed it on their end but possibly screwed up and reported a late payment or something to Transunion/Experian.

Anyone ever deal with anything like this in past? Have a call out to BOA but haven’t heard back.

On Thursday my credit score mysteriously dropped 34 points (767 to 733). Credit utilization is at 7% and I pay off all cards at the end of every month just like I have for years. Only thing I noticed on one of my BOA cards on that day is that there was an “Interest Charge Error Correction“ where BOA credited my account $0.11.

My best theory is that BOA made a mistake and reported bad info to credit bureau, before correcting mistake and crediting money back to my account. I never pay interest because I never carry a balance but somehow they charged me interest for something and corrected it. BOA fixed it on their end but possibly screwed up and reported a late payment or something to Transunion/Experian.

Anyone ever deal with anything like this in past? Have a call out to BOA but haven’t heard back.
citi did this to me once
i check all my CC statements every month

paying interest doesn't hurt ur score
say u have CC debt, high UTI is what hurts ur score
the INT just hurts yo pockets but interest u pay is between u and the bank

even if u make the minimum payment
still counted as "paid on time"

ur UTI is 7% so ur on the right track (under 10)
and ur statement balance isn't zero

if ur state balance is 0, that month didn't count, its like u didn't utilize ur credit line
its the same as not gavung the card

if ur not gonna buy a car/house or get a loan/refi loan,
i wouldn't sweat it too much

Last edited:
I wasn’t supposed to pay interest though, my statement indicated that they made some type of error but then credited $0.11 to my account. On the same day my score drops 34 points. Under ”what changed” on Credit Karma, it indicated that something happened with that card on that date and that was reason for drop. Have approximately $100k in available credit through several cards. Nothing I did personally that day or weak was out of the ordinary, except for the weird credit to my account on that date.

Have a new car coming in next month so it is somewhat of an issue.

Boa and wells fargo shady man. Always heard bad things. I’m happy with chase

I wasn’t supposed to pay interest though, my statement indicated that they made some type of error but then credited $0.11 to my account. On the same day my score drops 34 points. Under ”what changed” on Credit Karma, it indicated that something happened with that card on that date and that was reason for drop. Have approximately $100k in available credit through several cards. Nothing I did personally that day or weak was out of the ordinary, except for the weird credit to my account on that date.

Have a new car coming in next month so it is somewhat of an issue.
credit karma isn't the most accurate way to get ur credit report

u can get a full credit report once a year and won't dip ur score or isn't considered a pull
Boa and wells fargo shady man. Always heard bad things. I’m happy with chase
banks are fine with checking but

banks CC's are not the wave

Avoid BOA. I learned my lesson. Never again

Avoid bank of America at all cost

These fools make it hard to set up autopay for their credit cards. Every other bank makes it easy and straight forward.
Don’t even bother with a savings account
Use that $ and buy a stablecoin and get anywhere from 8-13% a year
Versus a stupid 0.5% or some bs
avoid crypto at all cost. 99% are pump and dumps

avoid bank CCs and store CCs

Chime credit rebuild >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

tell us more.... def messed up my credit the first chance I had and now in my 30s slowly trying to change that. From what i can gather most of my og creditors no longer hold the credit as its been sold off. just wondering what i can do to help get myself on the better credit journey.

avoid crypto at all cost. 99% are pump and dumps

avoid bank CCs and store CCs
The same friends I have that were pushing mlm’s like wakeupnow, amway, and primerica a few years ago, are the same ones pushing for everyone to invest in a new crypto site every month. For those reasons alone, I’ll take my L and leave crypto alone. Lol

mAkInG mOnEy iS SoOoOo eAsY

ok FaZe Kay

I didn’t say no stupid **** like that man. :lol:

But yea, anyone who doesn’t have the willingness to at least learn the basics of an emerging field isn’t going to catch on, and that’s OK.

This isn’t a crypto thread so there’s not need to start a discussion but telling someone who actually knows what a stablecoin is to avoid crypto at all cost and that 99% of projects are ______ is just blind ignorance.

:lol: at investing in crypto websites.

Back
Top Bottom