24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

Concerning the minimum payment, you are correct, that is the amount you have to pay to keep the card current.  0% apr means you won't pay any interest on your purchases for the first year.  If you have a balance after the first year is up, you will start getting charged the regular interest if the card is not payed off in full each month.  
so my credit score won't go down until the first year and that's if i just don't pay the balance in full right?
No, you're credit score will still be effected...first of all for opening the account, and then also for making payment on time...or not doing that.  The first year is just interest fee, meaning you'll only have to pay back what you spend.  After that first year, you'll pay interest on the purchases you don't pay off in full every month.

Got approved for Amex PRG, fee was waived for the first year so I said **** it.  Just gonna carry that and the Sapphire and leave everything else at home.  Hopefully it'll help me curb my spending knowing I have to pay it off every month.  
Great card and good choice, imo the PRG is Amex's best charge card overall. 2x in dining, gas, supermakerts and 3x on airfare, including $100 airline credit. It's their best charge card to pile up points quick. Even their platinum card isn't on the same level points wise unless youre spending a whole lot on their new 5x airfare category because everything else will be worth 1 point. The plat is more of a perks card and PRG more of a rewards card, so if youre into points and spend in those category its a great fit for you. 
Yeah, they sent me an offer for the Plat, but I don't travel enough to warrant that annual fee and the perks it comes with.  

With 0% apr you wont have to pay interest the first year, depending on how high your balance you may want to pay it down more or in full because high utlization still kills your score (if you care about that). So on one side you can hold on to your money and pay the min. because you wont be charged interest but on the other side if your balance is high your scores will take a dip. 

Also congrats on the chase sapphire reserve approval! tough card to get with a min. 10k credit limit for acceptance, your profile must be solid. I would definitely charge everything to that card as you probably want to hit the 4k spend bonus for 100k UR points.  In terms of paying the card off the first month, I believe it gets a little confusing with when the first statment cuts and will get billed, but the simple answer is wait until that happens and your first statment gets to you then you could pay, before that....payment might not be needed. 

No, you're credit score will still be effected...first of all for opening the account, and then also for making payment on time...or not doing that.  The first year is just interest fee, meaning you'll only have to pay back what you spend.  After that first year, you'll pay interest on the purchases you don't pay off in full every month.
thanks for the info guys... so coming back to the point of my credit score still being affected when not paying my balance in full...

my situation is that i had a job when i first opened my chase unlimited card and always paid my balance down to $0 every month. in september, i quit my job because i have a job lined up at the end of november. so from september til i get my first paycheck, i wont be able to pay anything except for the minimum payment on the unlimited card. will my credit score go down because of this?

i have around a $1700 balance on my unlimited and $1300 on the sapphire and ill probably have around ~3000 on the sapphire after my trip...

thanks for the info guys... so coming back to the point of my credit score still being affected when not paying my balance in full...

my situation is that i had a job when i first opened my chase unlimited card and always paid my balance down to $0 every month. in september, i quit my job because i have a job lined up at the end of november. so from september til i get my first paycheck, i wont be able to pay anything except for the minimum payment on the unlimited card. will my credit score go down because of this?

i have around a $1700 balance on my unlimited and $1300 on the sapphire and ill probably have around ~3000 on the sapphire after my trip...
$1700 and $1300 balance. But what are your credit limits? That determines the utilization % ratio. For example, if you had a 1k limit and have a balance of 800, but only paying the minium $25 a month, your utlization will be high compared to a balance of 800 with a 8k limit. Etc.  If you want to pay the minoium payment but you overall have a low balance and a high limit then you're good to go score wise cause itll still be a low percent since your credit limit is so high, and vice versa if you have a high balance and low limit. you know what i mean? also, if youre tight with money till you get your new job, then theres nothing you could do and that's okay cause utilization has no memory it changes every month. Your scores may go down a bit now if you show a high balance to credit limit ratio, but your scores will go back up once you pay it all down when you get your new job, so it doesnt matter too much unless you were looking to apply for something and needed a good score right now. 

Last edited:

$1700 and $1300 balance. But what are your credit limits? That determines the utilization % ratio. For example, if you had a 1k limit and have a balance of 800, but only paying the minium $25 a month, your utlization will be high compared to a balance of 800 with a 8k limit. Etc.  If you want to pay the minoium payment but you overall have a low balance and a high limit then you're good to go score wise cause itll still be a low percent since your credit limit is so high, and vice versa if you have a high balance and low limit. you know what i mean? also, if youre tight with money till you get your new job, then theres nothing you could do and that's okay cause utilization has no memory it changes every month. Your scores may go down a bit now if you show a high balance to credit limit ratio, but your scores will go back up once you pay it all down when you get your new job, so it doesnt matter too much unless you were looking to apply for something and needed a good score right now. 
thanks for the quick response man!

so i just checked my account and its sitting right now at freedom-1454.15/3000 and sapphire-1896/5000

hopefully i will be okay then after i start my job.. i was just worried it would be harder to bring up my score vs bringing it down

thanks for the quick response man!

so i just checked my account and its sitting right now at freedom-1454.15/3000 and sapphire-1896/5000

hopefully i will be okay then after i start my job.. i was just worried it would be harder to bring up my score vs bringing it down
well your about 50% utilization on your freedom and 38% on your sapphire. I think its recommend to keep to under 20-30%, and some report 0 on all cards and leave 1%-9% utilization for maximum score. Just some info for future references. But like I said, if you're tight on funds, let it be and pay the most you can till your new job. Best of luck. BTW...You got the sapphire preferred or reserve? I thought the Sapphire reserve required a 10k credit limit at least. 

Last edited:

well your about 50% utilization on your freedom and 38% on your sapphire. I think its recommend to keep to under 20-30%, and some report 0 on all cards and leave 1%-9% utilization for maximum score. Just some info for future references. But like I said, if you're tight on funds, let it be and pay the most you can till your new job. Best of luck. BTW...You got the sapphire preferred or reserve? I thought the Sapphire reserve required a 10k credit limit at least. 
thanks so much for your help man, greatly appreciated.

and im sorry, i have the sapphire preferred... 

After reading this page, I forgot that I didn't request my increase from discover after I got my raise at work.

"Your credit line increase of $4,500 is complete" 
pimp.gif

Discover is literally handing out big CLI like candy right now
pimp.gif
I had this card the longest and it isn't even my highest limit. I barely use it now tho. Just did the math and i'm at about 59k in limits between 4 cards. I only requested increases on my discover card too.

Got approved for Amex PRG, fee was waived for the first year so I said **** it.  Just gonna carry that and the Sapphire and leave everything else at home.  Hopefully it'll help me curb my spending knowing I have to pay it off every month.  

Go debit, forget the points

Go debit, forget the points
I'll only be using them for bills/necessities...stuff I know I can pay back.  May as well get rewarded for stuff I'd be buying anyway.

You said hopefully the charge card will help you curb your spending. I tried that out it didn't help at all lol which is why I went debit.

Thinking the balance would be around $500 and its really closer to $1000 lol budgeting was pretty hard with a charge card . I don't have that much self discipline .

Discover been handing out big CLIs for a minute now. Yal weren't messing with Discover then and the people who were, were scared to hit the button lol.

Discover been handing out big CLIs for a minute now. Yal weren't messing with Discover then and the people who were, were scared to hit the button lol.

I been tryna tell folks to hit that button once a month. Discover shows love if you do what you're supposed to do

You said hopefully the charge card will help you curb your spending. I tried that out it didn't help at all lol which is why I went debit.

Thinking the balance would be around $500 and its really closer to $1000 lol budgeting was pretty hard with a charge card . I don't have that much self discipline .
Beezy, do you strictly use debit only now? You don't even use a credit card anymore? I mean, charge card or credit card...both needs discipline in general. I guess credit card is a good peace of mind knowing you can roll over a balance but even so thats interest to pay and prob money someone shouldnt be spending if they cant pay it off in the first place either, I think having a charge or credit makes no difference in budgeting if you know how to budget to begin with. 

Beezy, do you strictly use debit only now? You don't even use a credit card anymore? I mean, charge card or credit card...both needs discipline in general. I guess credit card is a good peace of mind knowing you can roll over a balance but even so thats interest to pay and prob money someone shouldnt be spending if they cant pay it off in the first place either, I think having a charge or credit makes no difference in budgeting if you know how to budget to begin with. 
I'm like 97% debit. I use my charge card sometimes, like once or twice a month. Unless I'm buying a flight then I pay it off as soon I buy the tickets or if I'm going out to dinner I'll pay it off right after. I just stopped using my charge card for everything about 3 months ago, works for me .

With a charge card I just swipe swipe swipe, why because my card can't get declined lol. I don't have to keep checking the balance , because I know I'll have the money to pay it off at the end of the month but that doesn't mean I'm not overspending. For example If I put only $500 on my debit card every 2 weeks, at $500 my card is getting declined (my card not getting declined but you get the point, theres a limit) . With my PRG I can keep going forever and it will never get declined. Its just a mental thing with me.

When you're dropping $1500+ on your charge card a month and your budgeted spending is half of that its time to put the charge card up lol.

I say budgeted spending because I have X amount I like to save, go to loans, entertainment, etc. Bills are always taken care of first.

@LuckyLuchiano  I think they check for verification of income at 25K.

@BeezyGotSole  I see, I feel you on that. I mean there is an internal limit with the amex charge...so you could technically get declined, but that's of course if you reach a high high high balance/purchase I guess lol. I'm still surprised though, you're very knowledgeable with credit,  never knew you ended up using a debit card. You could hang up your charge card but how about a credit card with a limit then? Does that help you psychologically budget better then? I dont know bro, hate to see you lose out on rewards and points on stuff you're already spending on!  that's the best part about this credit stuff. Paying in Full, no interest, and taking advantage of the cash back and travel mile points for stuff you're already going to buy anyway, all at the same time building a solid credit profile. You're always be up!

Last edited:
 @BeezyGotSole
 I see, I feel you on that. I mean there is an internal limit with the amex charge...so you could technically get declined, but that's of course if you reach a high high high balance/purchase I guess lol. I'm still surprised though, you're very knowledgeable with credit,  never knew you ended up using a debit card. You could hang up your charge card but how about a credit card with a limit then? Does that help you psychologically budget better then? I dont know bro, hate to see you lose out on rewards and points on stuff you're already spending on!  that's the best part about this credit stuff. Paying in Full, no interest, and taking advantage of the cash back and travel mile points for stuff you're already going to buy anyway, all at the same time building a solid credit profile. You're always be up!

Lol man one day I was bored messing around with the AMEX purchasing power system. I wouldn't even be declined for a purchase over $10,000 .

Trust man I'm building credit with my house and my car. I have about 50K worth of credit. Credit cards/Charge Cards are the least of my concern it's just better for me to use debit to stay on my budget and not overspend . I get my points when I'm spending on the categories.

Yeah I'm extremely knowledgeable on credit, but learned everything AFTER I was approved for a 15K CC at the age of 21 from Navy. That's why I always say if your young or in college just get a secured card to build credit that's what I used from age 18-21.

Did my monthly CLI with discover and noticed they asked for total assets? Is this something new or they ask certain customers only? I dont remember it being there last month. I was denied last month so maybe they asked this time?

Back
Top Bottom