24hrs in amsterdam

I'm going to the netherlands for business at the end of the month (about 3 1/2 days total).

First two days there, I'll be occupied with work-related stuff in a town an hour south of amsterdam (will still try to do some exploring there though)

But the last day (Fri) I'm totally free and will be driven back to Amsterdam (will be staying there for the night and to catch my flight out of AMS late morning Sat)

I'll prob be with someone from the company I'm visiting for some of the day (I'm told they take care of visitors well), but I might try to do my own thing too

Plans so far:
-Heineken factory
-Pancake bakery
-coffee shops (trying not to go too overboard)
-bars at night
-???

anyone have any advice/suggestions to get the most out of the city in about 24hrs?

(This is also my first time going to Europe if it matters)

"an hour south of Amsterdam.."

are you going to be in Rotterdam? If so, I definitely agree: jump on that train the first second you have and get up to Amsterdam. I've visited both and Rotterdam is definitely more sterile: harbor, shopping mall, office buildings and a Space Needle look-a-like

In Amsterdam, I personally enjoyed the Van Gogh museum. There's the Anne Frank house, but if you're tight on time, maybe not worth putting high on the list. I'd ditch the canal tours and instead rent a bike so you can move more quickly through different parts of the city.
I'd also recommend checking out the Red Light District once the sun goes down. I'm NOT recommending indulging in the vices there, but it's just interesting to see the atmosphere at night.

Food in the Netherlands wasn't exciting to me (french fries w/ mayonaise?!) so don't feel you need to waste an hour or two at a formal sit down. Grab a sandwich on the run so you get to funner activities within 24 hours.

If youre not a seasoned weed smoker go easy in the coffee shops, i had a 24 hr layover....almost missed my flight.:smh:

"an hour south of Amsterdam.."
are you going to be in Rotterdam? If so, I definitely agree: jump on that train the first second you have and get up to Amsterdam. I've visited both and Rotterdam is definitely more sterile: harbor, shopping mall, office buildings and a Space Needle look-a-like
In Amsterdam, I personally enjoyed the Van Gogh museum. There's the Anne Frank house, but if you're tight on time, maybe not worth putting high on the list. I'd ditch the canal tours and instead rent a bike so you can move more quickly through different parts of the city.
I'd also recommend checking out the Red Light District once the sun goes down. I'm NOT recommending indulging in the vices there, but it's just interesting to see the atmosphere at night.
Food in the Netherlands wasn't exciting to me (french fries w/ mayonaise?!) so don't feel you need to waste an hour or two at a formal sit down. Grab a sandwich on the run so you get to funner activities within 24 hours.

nijmegen to be exact.

I'll be adding the van gough museum to the list. The bike thing is a good idea too
(may try Patta too I think it's right in the middle of town)

Is the red light disctrict shady/risky at night? (heard a lot of the 'talent' is busted anyways, but I'll be the judge)

If youre not a seasoned weed smoker go easy in the coffee shops, i had a 24 hr layover....almost missed my flight.:smh:

I havent been for a while, so I was thinking of eating some cake first and see how I feel. If I smoke, a gram tops

EDIT: fuuuuu just noticced my post count and join date :x

Last edited:
Coffee shops, Red light district, Pub crawls an ez way to meet tourists and some locals, Rembrandt plein (sp)( the clubbing district) I had a blast at Escape, as for the Heineken factory if ur strapped on time its w.e. but if ur trying to party I'd recommend pub crawls and going to Rembrandt plein or leidenseplein(sp) its more lively there. I'd say pub crawl early at 8 then if u find some yambs or not goto one of those lively areas and live it up, If all that fails 50-100 euro get u that good good in RLD 8)

Heineken factory, yes.

Anne Frank museum I found a bit depressing personally. Such is life through.

There is Heineken and Amstel on damn near every corner.

Me and my dogs hit the Red Light. Surprisingly, no one indulged. Not even the scumbags.

But it's worth a stroll nonetheless.

Coffee shops.

It's a small enough city that you can pretty much walk it. Which is also a great way to see the city.

Roll through Dam Square etc. There's a few streets off the square with some good shopping.

just dont eat a brownie and then go to the airport to catch ur flight like i did

I'm curious to know what happened... :nerd:

it kicked in right as i got to schipol airport.....had to chuck the remaining piece in the dumpster in case they searched me (paranoia kicked in as well). So after munching down a tasty sandwich, i started partially coming in and out of the space/time paradigm. With every ounce of strength in my body i kept tryin to remind myself that i was in the airport, to be cool, and to not forget that i had a flight to nyc. So in fear of passing out somewhere on a walkway, i just sat right next to the gate and waited for like 45 min. Felt like i waited for a whole year and i dont really recall how i passed security but i was scared and felt like i was gonna pass out. When i finally found my self on the plane it was the greatest feeling in the world and after that it was :smokin. If it wasn't for the fear-inducing security procedure, id actually recommend doing it.

it kicked in right as i got to schipol airport.....had to chuck the remaining piece in the dumpster in case they searched me (paranoia kicked in as well). So after munching down a tasty sandwich, i started partially coming in and out of the space/time paradigm. With every ounce of strength in my body i kept tryin to remind myself that i was in the airport, to be cool, and to not forget that i had a flight to nyc. So in fear of passing out somewhere on a walkway, i just sat right next to the gate and waited for like 45 min. Felt like i waited for a whole year and i dont really recall how i passed security but i was scared and felt like i was gonna pass out. When i finally found my self on the plane it was the greatest feeling in the world and after that it was :smokin. If it wasn't for the fear-inducing security procedure, id actually recommend doing it.

Kind of brownie you were munching on :lol:

Paranoia at the max.

Back
Top Bottom