4 Years Ago Today Hurricane Katrina Struck New Orleans

It was devastating as my Aunt and Uncle saw their brand new home get destroyed by the Hurricane, They were relocated to Indianapolis, Indiana and made thattheir permanent residence ever since. They have no desire to return to N.O. While some have made a return, it still looks like the Hurricane has recently hitsome areas still.

On the Other hand
[table][tr][td] [/td] [td]
Population 76.4%
More than three-quarters of New Orleans population is back, according to post office numbers showing who gets mail. In the greater New Orleans metro area, 90% of the population is back, getting mail

Demographics: New Orleans' public school system reported that Hispanics made up 5.6% of enrollment in the spring, up from 3.6% before Katrina.

Unemployment 6.4% Engineering and construction work rebuilding Louisiana after storms has cushioned unemployment. Nation's rate is 9.4%.

Poverty 2: Louisiana ranks No. 2 in the nation for people living in poverty, trailing only Mississippi, despite billions in post-Katrina recovery dollars

Violent crime: A bright spot: Violent crime dropped in New Orleans in 2008. The city has done better than even a nationwide decline in crime the last two years

Murder: The city's murder rate, adjusted for population, topped all cities nationwide last year

Tourism: Cash-strapped tourists and companies worldwide have cut travel to the Big Easy. City hotel bookings related to conventions and meetings are down 15% from 2008

Abandoned Homes 65,888: The number of unoccupied residences in March 2009 was nearly equal to those in Detroit. Indeed, the New Orleans landscape is dotted by weed-filled lots and molding houses
[/td] [/tr][/table]

The have made a good recovery, but N.O. still has a long way to go

that means tha 4 years ago today i got jumped for my grey blue and white jordan 13z. i got the @@$# beat outta me for them by 4 people that jumped me afterschoool on the day katrina touched down in new orleans. but back to the topic, yeah da no made a good recovery, but wow they murder rate still on top and theybarely got people in the city as it is.
thats wild!

Originally Posted by AKA King Arthur

and after 4 years you can still tell

SMH

In Houston.
smh.gif

Just telling my co-workers about the anniversary today. Its crazy how the surrounding towns gave these people no love. Blocking off bridges with guns drawntelling people to turn around.....

I can't believe it's arleady been 4 years since ...
ohwell.gif

IMO the U.S. Geroge Bush screwed up badly.
smh.gif

Originally Posted by lovemysole

ohwell.gif

smh.gif

More like, Louisiana's own government.

Its a damn shame. God bless those affected by this storm...but smh at parts of our country.

Originally Posted by Russ tha G

Originally Posted by AKA King Arthur

and after 4 years you can still tell

SMH

In Houston.
smh.gif
I still see tarps on top of roofs of houses and broken billboards/signs in Houston, i cant imagine how it still is in NO. oh yea and about thistime last year (other hurricane-ike) i had like 15 people in a two bedroom apartment in Austin. i was in college and my roommate and my family came fromHouston.

Originally Posted by COOLnificent

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

Originally Posted by lovemysole

ohwell.gif

smh.gif

More like, Louisiana's own government.

Bingo

- true......initially the first respose is from the state. the feds still drug their feet because of red tape though.......

i still remember moms crying and seeing the people on top of roofs asking for help
tired.gif
smh.gif
rip to all those who died

I remember me and jon (ithruix) along with others tried to do a fund raiser thru NT...didn't work out so well

I remember going to look/clean/salvage things at my friend's house in New Orleans... Four guys in an escalade with four shotguns, four glocks, and an AK.You'll never understand unless you were there. One of the scarier moments in my life.

Back
Top Bottom