48÷2(9+3) = ???

Originally Posted by TheAbove

I stand CORRECTED!

I was working all-day to come back to this thread.
laugh.gif

The answer is 288.

You have to read it Left to Right because it is all on one line. You can't assume there's a set of parenthesis that puts it in the denominator.

Math major reporting out. I agree with the Wolfram analysis.
I see the Light.

i still don't see why it has to be right to left. IF IT DOES then yes team 288 won this thread, but who said it has to be right to left?

Prymone you are exactly right. And I just verified with my sister in law who is an engineer and math genius..... she said the EXACT same thing as you. The parenthesis don't go away after you add the 9 plus 3. She said you MUST multiple the 2 times 12 FIRST. The answer is 2.

She said the 288 people are mistaken because you HAVE to do the 2(9+3) completelty.

I've asked an engineer and a college math teacher and they both said two because the brackets must be completely done.

Sorry 288 people. You are wrong.

Originally Posted by ncmalko1

Prymone you are exactly right. And I just verified with my sister in law who is an engineer and math genius..... she said the EXACT same thing as you. The parenthesis don't go away after you add the 9 plus 3. She said you MUST multiple the 2 times 12 FIRST. The answer is 2.

She said the 288 people are mistaken because you HAVE to do the 2(9+3) completelty.

I've asked an engineer and a college math teacher and they both said two because the brackets must be completely done.

Well my math teacher said the answer was 288... 

Originally Posted by sreggie101

I stand CORRECTED!

laugh.gif

The answer is 288.

You have to read it Left to Right because it is all on one line. You can't assume there's a set of parenthesis that puts it in the denominator.

I see the Light.

i still don't see why it has to be right to left. IF IT DOES then yes team 288 won this thread, but who said it has to be right to left?

bc81524e714b17dea6a0cbc85de0db586170afa_r.png

and it's L to R

I stand CORRECTED!

laugh.gif

The answer is 288.

I see the Light.

and it's L to R

Originally Posted by MJair

no they didnt. and if they did they should be fired

Originally Posted by MJair

no they didnt. and if they did they should be fired

Originally Posted by prymone

48/2(9+3)
48/2(12)
the parentheseis are still there after u add it to 12
u gotta 2x12 before u divide theres more then 1 step in eliminatin the parentheseis
48/24=2
what dont you understand?
What don't you understand about the first rule of PEMDAS? It only applies to things INSIDE of the parenthesis, so no you are wrong. Multiplication is the last step.
Look up the Order of Operations on any math site and every single one will tell you that only things INSIDE of the parenthesis apply to the first rule.

The very first thing we do is evaluate anything we can in that is inside the parentheses.  The next step is to evaluate the exponents.  After the exponents, we evaluate the multiplication and division.  Multiplication and division are equal in the eyes of PEMDAS

Originally Posted by prymone

48/2(9+3)
48/2(12)
the parentheseis are still there after u add it to 12
u gotta 2x12 before u divide theres more then 1 step in eliminatin the parentheseis
48/24=2
what dont you understand?
What don't you understand about the first rule of PEMDAS? It only applies to things INSIDE of the parenthesis, so no you are wrong. Multiplication is the last step.
Look up the Order of Operations on any math site and every single one will tell you that only things INSIDE of the parenthesis apply to the first rule.

The very first thing we do is evaluate anything we can in that is inside the parentheses.  The next step is to evaluate the exponents.  After the exponents, we evaluate the multiplication and division.  Multiplication and division are equal in the eyes of PEMDAS

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

I stand CORRECTED!

laugh.gif

The answer is 288.

I see the Light.

and it's L to R

this is what i was taught
#team288

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

I stand CORRECTED!

laugh.gif

The answer is 288.

I see the Light.

and it's L to R

this is what i was taught
#team288

Exactly scotthall. You do the paranthesis first. Everything in and attached to the paenthesis is done first. 2(9+3) in the paranthesis that is done first. So the correct answer is 2.

If a question was 8/3(1) you'd factor the 3 times 1 first then do the rest.

The above formula PROVES that 2 is the correct answer.

Exactly scotthall. You do the paranthesis first. Everything in and attached to the paenthesis is done first. 2(9+3) in the paranthesis that is done first. So the correct answer is 2.

The above formula PROVES that 2 is the correct answer.

Yeah...... I just figured out proof 2 is the right answer.

If the question was 8/4(1) you wouldn't ignore the paranthesis completely. You'd multiply 4 times 1 FIRST. You wouldn't skip that step. But the 288 people are skipping the multiplication step.

Yeah...... I just figured out proof 2 is the right answer.

If the question was 8/4(1) you wouldn't ignore the paranthesis completely. You'd multiply 4 times 1 FIRST. You wouldn't skip that step. But the 288 people are skipping the multiplication step.

Well, I got an 800 on my math SAT, AND my mom is a math professor at Notre Dame, AND my dad built a rocket that went to Mars, and we all say its 288, so that is the correct answer.

Well, I got an 800 on my math SAT, AND my mom is a math professor at Notre Dame, AND my dad built a rocket that went to Mars, and we all say its 288, so that is the correct answer.

Exactly scotthall. You do the paranthesis first. Everything in and attached to the paenthesis is done first. 2(9+3) in the paranthesis that is done first. So the correct answer is 288.

The above formula PROVES that 2 is not the correct answer.

Fixed
Once the number inside the parenthesis is in its simplest form you move onto the next step. It doesn't matter if there is a number attached or if it has an exponent on the outside. 2(9+3) is the same as 2*12, which makes the equation 48/2*12, which means you go left to right, which means the answer is 288.

Back
Top Bottom