48÷2(9+3) = ???

Originally Posted by CertifiedSW

I'd rather play in traffic than listen to team 2 try to explain how they got to their answer. Team 2 ain't even talking about the actual problem anymore cause they know they're wrong. Trying to justify they're right by saying the signs  matter and @#$#.
You're really about to sit there and say / and the division same aren't the same? As well as saying 2(12) isn't the same as 2 * 12? 

Terrible. 

This reply should end the thread:

LimitedRetroOG wrote:
People, YOU DON'T NEED TO GET RID OF THE PARENTHESIS. Parenthesis and x are equivalent! Get that through your head!

Word. Explaining this to Team 2 is like explaining to a White Supremacist that everybody is equal.

9fc3578344177e5746eb1d72dff9d7c76273aba_r.jpg

Originally Posted by LimitedRetroOG

I'd rather play in traffic than listen to team 2 try to explain how they got to their answer. Team 2 ain't even talking about the actual problem anymore cause they know they're wrong. Trying to justify they're right by saying the signs  matter and @#$#.
You're really about to sit there and say / and the division same aren't the same? As well as saying 2(12) isn't the same as 2 * 12? 

Terrible. 

LimitedRetroOG wrote:
People, YOU DON'T NEED TO GET RID OF THE PARENTHESIS. Parenthesis and x are equivalent! Get that through your head!

Word. Explaining this to Team 2 is like explaining to a White Supremacist that everybody is equal.
You're going extra hard on this topic. Chill with that white supremacist nonsense, kid.

Terrible. 

LimitedRetroOG wrote:

You're going extra hard on this topic. Chill with that white supremacist nonsense, kid.

Originally Posted by JMar 23

This thread is ridiculous.

Can we look at it like this?

_______

2(9+3)
Nah you can't. If it was all in the denominator it would have parentheses or brackets like (2(9+3)) or [2(9+3)] in the original problem.

Originally Posted by JMar 23

This thread is ridiculous.

Can we look at it like this?

_______

2(9+3)
Nah you can't. If it was all in the denominator it would have parentheses or brackets like (2(9+3)) or [2(9+3)] in the original problem.

Originally Posted by K2theAblaM

Terrible. 

LimitedRetroOG wrote:

You still on Team 2?

Terrible. 

LimitedRetroOG wrote:

You still on Team 2?

Explain to me please do

What is 48 / (10 - 6)

Now I factor out a 2 and right this

48 / 2 (5 - 3)

these are equivalent!

I'll even put varibles

X / (by - bz) = X / b(y-z)

Distribution ALWAYS APPLIES to Communitve. Why you ask?

Commutative Property

An operation is commutative if you can change the order of the numbers involved without changing the result.

Distributive Property

The most common distributive property is the distribution of multiplication over addition. It says that when a number is multiplied by the sum of two other numbers, the first number can be handed out or distributed to both of those two numbers and multiplied by each of them separately

The Reason why it applies because the order can be changed without changing the results. If the results are different it does not apply.

Explain to me please do

What is 48 / (10 - 6)

48 / 2 (5 - 3)

these are equivalent!

I'll even put varibles

Commutative Property

An operation is commutative if you can change the order of the numbers involved without changing the result.

Distributive Property

The most common distributive property is the distribution of multiplication over addition. It says that when a number is multiplied by the sum of two other numbers, the first number can be handed out or distributed to both of those two numbers and multiplied by each of them separately

The Reason why it applies because the order can be changed without changing the results. If the results are different it does not apply.

Originally Posted by yungchris504

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

What are you talking about?

I am not sure if you know that when you see communitive property with multiplication it always means distribution. The only time that isn't the case is if it is division inside the parenthesis or multiplication.

It does not matter the order (in this particular problem that has both communitive and distributive properties) I solve the problem it only matters that the answer is correct which I proved to you.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

So order of operations doesnt matter as long as the answer is right?

Look at the proper steps in the question you ALWAYS have to simplify whats in the parenthesis first before moving on. You are basically disagreeing with order of operations by doing anything else.
No you do not I really can't understand why this is so hard to understand. Please explain to me what I wrote is not right. I broke it down in steps.

10 x 2 (2+3)  = 10 x ( 2*2 + 2*3) = 10 x ( 4 +6)  = 10 x 10 = 100
You NEED TO TURN 2+3 TO 5 BEFORE ANYTHING

What are you talking about?

I am not sure if you know that when you see communitive property with multiplication it always means distribution. The only time that isn't the case is if it is division inside the parenthesis or multiplication.

It does not matter the order (in this particular problem that has both communitive and distributive properties) I solve the problem it only matters that the answer is correct which I proved to you.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Look at the proper steps in the question you ALWAYS have to simplify whats in the parenthesis first before moving on. You are basically disagreeing with order of operations by doing anything else.
No you do not I really can't understand why this is so hard to understand. Please explain to me what I wrote is not right. I broke it down in steps.

Explain to me please do

What is 48 / (10 - 6)

48 / 2 (5 - 3)

these are equivalent!

I'll even put varibles

Commutative Property

Distributive Property

allow me to condense the argument you seem to think you have made

2=2

you didnt prove anything will all that jargon

you probably cant even explain why you THINK distribution ie MULTIPLICATION comes before division in order-of-operations

Explain to me please do

What is 48 / (10 - 6)

48 / 2 (5 - 3)

these are equivalent!

I'll even put varibles

Commutative Property

Distributive Property

2=2

you probably cant even explain why you THINK distribution ie MULTIPLICATION comes before division in order-of-operations

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

No You do not. Since this is commutative the order of operations doesn't matter if the result is the same. That is the rule.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

No You do not. Since this is commutative the order of operations doesn't matter if the result is the same. That is the rule.

Originally Posted by TheHealthInspector

Explain to me please do

What is 48 / (10 - 6)

48 / 2 (5 - 3)

these are equivalent!

I'll even put varibles

Commutative Property

Distributive Property

2=2

No doubt. If you follow the original equation how it is written, and use the order of operations, you will arrive at 288 every time. Why do they keep having to add symbols and alter the equation to arrive at their answer?

Originally Posted by TheHealthInspector

Explain to me please do

What is 48 / (10 - 6)

48 / 2 (5 - 3)

these are equivalent!

I'll even put varibles

Commutative Property

Distributive Property

2=2

No doubt. If you follow the original equation how it is written, and use the order of operations, you will arrive at 288 every time. Why do they keep having to add symbols and alter the equation to arrive at their answer?

Show me an example that proves what you are saying then if thats the case. I guarantee you will not find ANY place that will not simplify what is in the parenthesis first.

You still on Team 2?
Of course!

Team 2 for life. But no point in arguing if nobody will listen.

Factor in everyone claiming troll this and troll that trying to make this into an A vs B thread... this thing isn't even worth the trouble.

Back
Top Bottom