Originally Posted by yungchris504

Explain to me please do

What is 48 / (10 - 6)

Now I factor out a 2 and right this

48 / 2 (5 - 3)

these are equivalent!

I'll even put varibles

X / (by - bz) = X / b(y-z)

Distribution ALWAYS APPLIES to Communitve. Why you ask?

Commutative Property

An operation is commutative if you can change the order of the numbers involved without changing the result.

Distributive Property

The most common distributive property is the distribution of multiplication over addition. It says that when a number is multiplied by the sum of two other numbers, the first number can be handed out or distributed to both of those two numbers and multiplied by each of them separately

The Reason why it applies because the order can be changed without changing the results. If the results are different it does not apply.

allow me to condense the argument you seem to think you have made

2=2

you didnt prove anything will all that jargon

you probably cant even explain why you THINK distribution ie MULTIPLICATION comes before division in order-of-operations
 Because it is commutative. You can change the order and receive the same result

i.e 2* 10 = 10 *2

if you apply this to division or subtraction it does not work. Bruh don't try to play me cause I at least try to explain in the simplest essence what it is.

Originally Posted by TheHealthInspector

Explain to me please do

What is 48 / (10 - 6)

Now I factor out a 2 and right this

48 / 2 (5 - 3)

these are equivalent!

I'll even put varibles

X / (by - bz) = X / b(y-z)

Distribution ALWAYS APPLIES to Communitve. Why you ask?

Commutative Property

An operation is commutative if you can change the order of the numbers involved without changing the result.

Distributive Property

The most common distributive property is the distribution of multiplication over addition. It says that when a number is multiplied by the sum of two other numbers, the first number can be handed out or distributed to both of those two numbers and multiplied by each of them separately

The Reason why it applies because the order can be changed without changing the results. If the results are different it does not apply.

allow me to condense the argument you seem to think you have made

2=2

you didnt prove anything will all that jargon

you probably cant even explain why you THINK distribution ie MULTIPLICATION comes before division in order-of-operations
 Because it is commutative. You can change the order and receive the same result

i.e 2* 10 = 10 *2

if you apply this to division or subtraction it does not work. Bruh don't try to play me cause I at least try to explain in the simplest essence what it is.

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

No you do not I really can't understand why this is so hard to understand. Please explain to me what I wrote is not right. I broke it down in steps.

10 x 2 (2+3)  = 10 x ( 2*2 + 2*3) = 10 x ( 4 +6)  = 10 x 10 = 100
You NEED TO TURN 2+3 TO 5 BEFORE ANYTHING

No You do not. Since this is commutative the order of operations doesn't matter if the result is the same. That is the rule.

Show me an example that proves what you are saying then if thats the case. I guarantee you will not find ANY place that will not simplify what is in the parenthesis first.

Originally Posted by LimitedRetroOG

Originally Posted by K2theAblaM

Word. Explaining this to Team 2 is like explaining to a White Supremacist that everybody is equal.
You're going extra hard on this topic. Chill with that white supremacist nonsense, kid.

You still on Team 2?
Of course!

Team 2 for life. But no point in arguing if nobody will listen.

Factor in everyone claiming troll this and troll that trying to make this into an A vs B thread... this thing isn't even worth the trouble.

the best part for me so far is everybody saying wolfram alpha is wrong. wolfram alpha gave me 288 when i plugged the equation into its engine. lookup what wolfram alpha is, and then tell me its 2.

the best part for me so far is everybody saying wolfram alpha is wrong. wolfram alpha gave me 288 when i plugged the equation into its engine. lookup what wolfram alpha is, and then tell me its 2.

No you do not I really can't understand why this is so hard to understand. Please explain to me what I wrote is not right. I broke it down in steps.

No You do not. Since this is commutative the order of operations doesn't matter if the result is the same. That is the rule.

Why did you write it with the parenthesis still attached to them after you distribute? If you were to distribute it would be (2*2) + (2*3) the whole point of distribution is to resolve the parenthesis IMMEDIATELY

Why did you write it with the parenthesis still attached to them after you distribute? If you were to distribute it would be (2*2) + (2*3) the whole point of distribution is to resolve the parenthesis IMMEDIATELY

Bruh don't try to play me cause I at least try to explain in the simplest essence what it is.

except i dont need your explanation to tell me why 2=2

you keep bringing up the distributive property and how it theoretically works when you cant even explain why it applies (or does not apply) to our original problem

heres a hint:  IT DOESNT

seriously, no body needs you to try and teach them how 2=2

Bruh don't try to play me cause I at least try to explain in the simplest essence what it is.

except i dont need your explanation to tell me why 2=2

you keep bringing up the distributive property and how it theoretically works when you cant even explain why it applies (or does not apply) to our original problem

heres a hint:  IT DOESNT

seriously, no body needs you to try and teach them how 2=2

You know it's RIP for Team 2 when the only person left arguing is someone who thinks Orders of Operations don't matter.

No my man I am not saying the order of operations does not matter in PEMDAS.

All I am saying is this x / (by + bz) = x / b(y+z) this applies because of the distribution rule. Like I said replace it with numbers

20 / 10 = 2

factor out the 2 out of 10

20 / 2(3+2) = 10

since the answer is the same this means that the commutative property is at work

If it is commutative then you can distribute the 2 first to get the 10 or add the 5 and multiply it by 2. Same damn answer.

Originally Posted by Iron Mike

Wolfram is not aware of the elusive distributive property or the commutative property.

You know it's RIP for Team 2 when the only person left arguing is someone who thinks Orders of Operations don't matter.

All I am saying is this x / (by + bz) = x / b(y+z) this applies because of the distribution rule. Like I said replace it with numbers

20 / 10 = 2

20 / 2(3+2) = 10

since the answer is the same this means that the commutative property is at work

If it is commutative then you can distribute the 2 first to get the 10 or add the 5 and multiply it by 2. Same damn answer.

Originally Posted by Iron Mike

Wolfram is not aware of the elusive distributive property or the commutative property.

20 / 10 = 2

20 / 2(3+2) = 10

Its not about getting the same answer its about doing it CORRECTLY this is what you are failing to realize.

20 / 10 = 2

20 / 2(3+2) = 10

Its not about getting the same answer its about doing it CORRECTLY this is what you are failing to realize.

Team 2 trying to change the rules of math over here and @#$# 
laugh.gif

"Nah man @#$# order of operations, that @#$# don't even matter in this problem, just throw in a bunch of parentheses to arrive at 2"

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

"Nah man @#$# order of operations, that @#$# don't even matter in this problem, just throw in a bunch of parentheses to arrive at 2"

laugh.gif

Please someone explain how the hell this is almost 100 pages long
eek.gif

Must be noodz hidden on some page.

Please someone explain how the hell this is almost 100 pages long
eek.gif

Must be noodz hidden on some page.

Originally Posted by CertifiedSW

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by CertifiedSW

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by JMar 23

This thread is ridiculous.

Can we look at it like this?

_______

2(9+3)

team 288 is solving for a multiplication problem. the OG problem is a division problem though. team 288 keeps solving for 48/2 * (9+3) but that isn't how the problem is written. the problem is written as

_______    <--- that is what happens to your division sign

2(9+3)

Back
Top Bottom