48÷2(9+3) = ???

Originally Posted by yungchris504

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

OG
laugh.gif

And distribution always applies, nimrods.

That is correct. I believe if the dude did not want to imply this he would have placed a multiplication sign in front of the parenthesis.
The distribution rule states

X(a+b) = (Xa + Xb) = (Xa) + (Xb)

it does not say 

X*(a+b) = (Xa + Xb) = (Xa) + (Xb)

X is a variable, not a constant.  In the original problem 48÷2(9+3), are all constants.

OG
laugh.gif

That is correct. I believe if the dude did not want to imply this he would have placed a multiplication sign in front of the parenthesis.

it does not say 

X is a variable, not a constant.  In the original problem 48÷2(9+3), are all constants.

Originally Posted by Klipschorn

OG
laugh.gif

it does not say 

It doesn't matter if it is a variable or constant. Replace it with numbers.
How do you think formulas are created? Dudes don't just randomly put numbers together and stumble on something. They find the pattern.

I am saying without a symbol distribution is implied. Look at the law online you will never see a symbol for multiplication in the law

OG
laugh.gif

it does not say 

How do you think formulas are created? Dudes don't just randomly put numbers together and stumble on something. They find the pattern.

I am saying without a symbol distribution is implied. Look at the law online you will never see a symbol for multiplication in the law

it does not say 

Okay you apparently are not reading replies, so I will just say this again.
Tell me, why you would not distribute the 48 divided by 2 into the parentheses?
That is how you distribute in this example. Saying otherwise is just incorrect.

it does not say 

Originally Posted by snakeyes17

I'm liking this question.

by distributing yungchris504, you're multiplying. and since the division sign came before multiplication, you must divide first.

by distributing yungchris504, you're multiplying. and since the division sign came before multiplication, you must divide first.

Exactly, or at least include it in the distribution.
There is division first. It has to be included in this distribution.
IT IS FACT.

[48
÷2(9)]+[48÷2(3)]
That is how you distribute. You follow order of operations, division and then multiplication within each bracket.
[24(9)]+[24(3)]
216+72 = 288

Exactly, or at least include it in the distribution.
There is division first. It has to be included in this distribution.
IT IS FACT.

[48
÷2(9)]+[48÷2(3)]
That is how you distribute. You follow order of operations, division and then multiplication within each bracket.
[24(9)]+[24(3)]
216+72 = 288

No saying otherwise is not incorrect. This problem can be viewed as (48/2) being distributed or just the 2 due to how it is written.
My opinion and my experience tells me that the 2 is implied to be distributed since there is no sign between that and the parenthesis. If I follow the law of distribution it never shows a symbol for multiplication does it. So I have to assume it is implied.

No saying otherwise is not incorrect. This problem can be viewed as (48/2) being distributed or just the 2 due to how it is written.
My opinion and my experience tells me that the 2 is implied to be distributed since there is no sign between that and the parenthesis. If I follow the law of distribution it never shows a symbol for multiplication does it. So I have to assume it is implied.

There is no debate. I started off team 2 but team 288 got very convincing. It's 288 unless you got that really big parenthesis putting the second half of that equation in the denominator.

There is no debate. I started off team 2 but team 288 got very convincing. It's 288 unless you got that really big parenthesis putting the second half of that equation in the denominator.

laugh.gif
Wow that problem has appeared everywhere. I can't seem to get away from it.

But Team 288 checking in.

laugh.gif
Wow that problem has appeared everywhere. I can't seem to get away from it.

But Team 288 checking in.

Back
Top Bottom