48÷2(9+3) = ???

Originally Posted by Mo Greene

Originally Posted by moneymike88

back on topic...im interested in seeing why the number is 288 (which it isnt)

[h3]1)48÷2(9+3)[/h3]
2)48÷2(12)

3)48÷2*12

4)24*12

5)288

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1) Problem[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2) Solve what's WITHIN the parentheses first[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3) Re-wrote the problem to get rid of the parentheses and not confuse you tards[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4) Since division and multiplication are the same priority, it goes left to right[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5) Answer[/font]
100%
this problem took me 10 seconds

[h3]1)48÷2(9+3)[/h3]
2)48÷2(12)

3)48÷2*12

4)24*12

5)288

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2) Solve what's WITHIN the parentheses first[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3) Re-wrote the problem to get rid of the parentheses and not confuse you tards[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4) Since division and multiplication are the same priority, it goes left to right[/font]

100%

seriously if this is a math problem which a lot of you can't solve correctly, our country is doing something wrong.

the answer is 288 and those of you who think differently need to go back to 4th grade

seriously if this is a math problem which a lot of you can't solve correctly, our country is doing something wrong.

the answer is 288 and those of you who think differently need to go back to 4th grade

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

[h3]1)48÷2(9+3)[/h3]
2)48÷2(12)

3)48÷2*12

4)24*12

5)288

100%
This... Lock this mug back up

[h3]1)48÷2(9+3)[/h3]
2)48÷2(12)

3)48÷2*12

4)24*12

5)288

100%

Originally Posted by Carver

[h3]1)48÷2(9+3)[/h3]
2)48÷2(12)

3)48÷2*12

4)24*12

5)288

100%
this
plz lock the answer isnt 2

Originally Posted by Carver

[h3]1)48÷2(9+3)[/h3]
2)48÷2(12)

3)48÷2*12

4)24*12

5)288

100%
this
plz lock the answer isnt 2

didn't notice this was 30 pages long...
eek.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Distributive property of multiplication over addition. Early Algebra problem.

The distributive property of multiplication CLEARLY states that the 2(9+3) is an entire statement and CANNOT be broken up. 2(9+3) follows the distributive property which can be rewritten as (2*9+2*3). Let me repeat the 2 outside of the parenthesis follows the distributive property of multiplication and must be factored and simplified before performing any other operations on it. You do NOT compute this expression from left to right until you use Algebra to simplify the statement 2(9+3).

So this can be rewritten as:
48 / (2*9 + 2*3)

Which leaves us with

48 / 24 = 2

Answer = 2.

Lastly for those using Google or any other online calculator. These do not understand many theorems or properties so you must explicitly explain what you mean. There is a difference between 48 / 2 * (9+3) and 48 / 2(9+3). The first notation reads 48 / 2 * 1(9+3) while the second reads 48 / (2*9+2*3). Be very careful with your signs.

at first i thought it was 2 when i gave it a quick glance ... but its 288

to the people saying it is 2 ... are u ignoring the rules of PEMDAS
this is not going to end anytime soon ... 

Distributive property of multiplication over addition. Early Algebra problem.

The distributive property of multiplication CLEARLY states that the 2(9+3) is an entire statement and CANNOT be broken up. 2(9+3) follows the distributive property which can be rewritten as (2*9+2*3). Let me repeat the 2 outside of the parenthesis follows the distributive property of multiplication and must be factored and simplified before performing any other operations on it. You do NOT compute this expression from left to right until you use Algebra to simplify the statement 2(9+3).

So this can be rewritten as:
48 / (2*9 + 2*3)

Which leaves us with

48 / 24 = 2

Answer = 2.

Lastly for those using Google or any other online calculator. These do not understand many theorems or properties so you must explicitly explain what you mean. There is a difference between 48 / 2 * (9+3) and 48 / 2(9+3). The first notation reads 48 / 2 * 1(9+3) while the second reads 48 / (2*9+2*3). Be very careful with your signs.

at first i thought it was 2 when i gave it a quick glance ... but its 288

to the people saying it is 2 ... are u ignoring the rules of PEMDAS
this is not going to end anytime soon ... 

Back
Top Bottom