48÷2(9+3) = ???

It't 2. Check my post a few pages back... I'm basing this off a general consensus in the math community. There's even a mention that computer programs do not handle this type of question correctly becauseof it's poor notation.

It't 2. Check my post a few pages back... I'm basing this off a general consensus in the math community. There's even a mention that computer programs do not handle this type of question correctly becauseof it's poor notation.

Originally Posted by GottaBeEm21

seriously if this is a math problem which a lot of you can't solve correctly, our country is doing something wrong.

the answer is 288 and those of you who think differently need to go back to 4th grade

math is my achilles heel. i can't do much past basic algebra, but i can carry a 36" tube tv up four flights of stairs.
obvious L.

sick.gif
30t6p3b.gif
at those thinking its 2. Its been explained by many why it is 288, the problem reads 48÷2(12) or 48÷2*(12) NOT 48÷(2(12) where does the extra parenthesis come from?
But here's another way at looking at it.
You have 48 people, and half of those people have 12 apples. How many apples do you have?
Hint: It's not 2 apples
laugh.gif

sick.gif
30t6p3b.gif
at those thinking its 2. Its been explained by many why it is 288, the problem reads 48÷2(12) or 48÷2*(12) NOT 48÷(2(12) where does the extra parenthesis come from?
But here's another way at looking at it.
You have 48 people, and half of those people have 12 apples. How many apples do you have?
Hint: It's not 2 apples
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by GottaBeEm21

seriously if this is a math problem which a lot of you can't solve correctly, our country is doing something wrong.

the answer is 288 and those of you who think differently need to go back to 4th grade

math is my achilles heel. i can't do much past basic algebra, but i can carry a 36" tube tv up four flights of stairs.
obvious L.

How the @@*@...? 
eek.gif
30 pages? I was taking a $%+# and this thread gets created and already got 30 pages...

How the @@*@...? 
eek.gif
30 pages? I was taking a $%+# and this thread gets created and already got 30 pages...

What if Dirty locked this like "the answer is 288, lock" and then Meth was like "the answer is 2, open that back up"

Ok now it's clear why some of ya'll wanted the thread open, so you could flaunt your mental superiority 
laugh.gif
.  Calm down bro, it's a basic math problem.  Though different perspectives, no need to be calling people tards.
For the people getting 2, only way that would be the case is if there was also a parenthesis beginning at 2 and ending after the one at 3.  ie 48/(2(9+3)) which it isn't.  That dividing line only relates to that one number, so you have to treat 48/2 seperately, that when you get to 48/2(12) it's essentially (48/2)*(12).  So going left to right using the rule it's 24*12 which is 288.

What if Dirty locked this like "the answer is 288, lock" and then Meth was like "the answer is 2, open that back up"

Ok now it's clear why some of ya'll wanted the thread open, so you could flaunt your mental superiority 
laugh.gif
.  Calm down bro, it's a basic math problem.  Though different perspectives, no need to be calling people tards.
For the people getting 2, only way that would be the case is if there was also a parenthesis beginning at 2 and ending after the one at 3.  ie 48/(2(9+3)) which it isn't.  That dividing line only relates to that one number, so you have to treat 48/2 seperately, that when you get to 48/2(12) it's essentially (48/2)*(12).  So going left to right using the rule it's 24*12 which is 288.

The answer is 2. Your calculators are getting confused if you're putting it in a certain way. You have to multiply the 2 with the 12 because the 12 is still within parentheses.

The answer is 2. Your calculators are getting confused if you're putting it in a certain way. You have to multiply the 2 with the 12 because the 12 is still within parentheses.

Originally Posted by cguy610

roll.gif
I'd like to see them to argue it out.

My answer is 2.

Originally Posted by cguy610

roll.gif
I'd like to see them to argue it out.

My answer is 2.

Back
Top Bottom