48÷2(9+3) = ???

Originally Posted by Russ tha G

I think the issue is about whether you use a division symbol or a slash. The slash indicates numerator/denominator. The division symbol... Doesn't?

it's the same thing. you gotta take into consideration that if you combine 2(12) first, you're using the multiplication rule, not parenthesis rule. And if you multiply first then you throw PEMDAS(PEDMAS) out by not dividing first.

I think the issue is about whether you use a division symbol or a slash. The slash indicates numerator/denominator. The division symbol... Doesn't?
Yes. That's what I attested to.

I just asked my brother, as a studying engineer, how he read and interpreted that question....

I didn't prime him or told him people were saying 288 or 2

He answered 2 and reasoned you apply the parenthesis first.

UPDATE:

my bro just read the manual for his casio, some calculators take precedence over others for order of operation, but calculator aside... and abacus, paper and pencil.

i guess they put the skill testing question on prizes for a reason.

laugh.gif

Yes. That's what I attested to.

I just asked my brother, as a studying engineer, how he read and interpreted that question....

I didn't prime him or told him people were saying 288 or 2

UPDATE:

my bro just read the manual for his casio, some calculators take precedence over others for order of operation, but calculator aside... and abacus, paper and pencil.

i guess they put the skill testing question on prizes for a reason.

laugh.gif

There is no problem in the formatting, / and the division symbol are equals and fractions are just another intepretation of division that makes it easier to handle equations.. Check my proof above for why the answer isn't 2..

doesnt matter what form of sign you use if it's all on one line
the folks claiming it's 2 are seeing:

48/[2(9+3)]

obviously a big difference

doesnt matter what form of sign you use if it's all on one line
the folks claiming it's 2 are seeing:

48/[2(9+3)]

obviously a big difference

There is no problem in the formatting, / and the division symbol are equals and fractions are just another intepretation of division that makes it easier to handle equations.. Check my proof above for why the answer isn't 2..

Originally Posted by imthekang

Originally Posted by UnkleTomCruze

if using P.E.M.D.A.S. the correct answer is 288.....

48/2(9+3)

(48/2)*12

24 x 12

=288

fixed

your creating parentheses out of nowhere on your second step....

He is just showing thatyou perform division before multiplication ...Multiplication and Division are on the same level. You don't do multiplication before division every single time...it is what comes first. Pemdas, pedmas, pemdsa, pedmsa....it is the same thing.

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

if using P.E.M.D.A.S. the correct answer is 2.....

48/2(9+3)

48/2*12

48/24

=2
If you are using pemdas why are you multiplying before division?

P.E.M.D.A.S

Because Multiplying comes before Division.......

you follow the steps in order....

48/2(9+3)     Parentheses

48/2*12      Multiplying

48/24          Division

=2

Originally Posted by UnkleTomCruze

if using P.E.M.D.A.S. the correct answer is 288.....

48/2(9+3)

(48/2)*12

24 x 12

=288

fixed

your creating parentheses out of nowhere on your second step....

He is just showing thatyou perform division before multiplication ...Multiplication and Division are on the same level. You don't do multiplication before division every single time...it is what comes first. Pemdas, pedmas, pemdsa, pedmsa....it is the same thing.

48/2(9+3)

48/2*12

48/24

=2

P.E.M.D.A.S

48/2*12      Multiplying

48/24          Division

=2

Originally Posted by TheAbove

this is how i answered the question the first time i read it in my head

but everything ive been taught tells me its 288

i say its ambiguous, but i also say that the people saying "it can only be 2" are trying to force an unproven rule on those saying its 288

48/2(9+3)

48/2*12

48/24

=2

P.E.M.D.A.S

48/2*12      Multiplying

48/24          Division

=2
What is 48*0.5*12?

48/2(9+3)

48/2*12

48/24

=2

P.E.M.D.A.S

48/2*12      Multiplying

48/24          Division

=2
What is 48*0.5*12?

Originally Posted by TheAbove

this is how i answered the question the first time i read it in my head

but everything ive been taught tells me its 288

i say its ambiguous, but i also say that the people saying "it can only be 2" are trying to force an unproven rule on those saying its 288

Really what it comes down to is if you were taught to put multiplication over division in PEMDAS, or treat them as the same priority from left to right.

I was always under the assumption to put Multiplication OVER division because of the order of PEMDAS, which is why we get the answer "2". But if you put multiplication and division under the same priority, and read it from left to right, you will DIVIDE first and then Multiply which will give you the answer "288".

It all depends on your school of thought.

hence there will be debate and a 50+ page thread.

Really what it comes down to is if you were taught to put multiplication over division in PEMDAS, or treat them as the same priority from left to right.

I was always under the assumption to put Multiplication OVER division because of the order of PEMDAS, which is why we get the answer "2". But if you put multiplication and division under the same priority, and read it from left to right, you will DIVIDE first and then Multiply which will give you the answer "288".

48/2(9+3)

48/2*12

48/24

=2

P.E.M.D.A.S

48/2*12      Multiplying

48/24          Division

=2

This tells you the ranks of the operations: Parentheses outrank exponents, which outrank multiplication and division (but multiplication and division are at the same rank), and these two outrank addition and subtraction (which are together on the bottom rank).

http://www.purplemath.com/modules/orderops.htm

http://www.algebrahelp.com/lessons/simplifying/oops/

http://www.onlinemathlear...perations-worksheet.html

48/2(9+3)

48/2*12

48/24

=2

P.E.M.D.A.S

48/2*12      Multiplying

48/24          Division

=2

This tells you the ranks of the operations: Parentheses outrank exponents, which outrank multiplication and division (but multiplication and division are at the same rank), and these two outrank addition and subtraction (which are together on the bottom rank).

http://www.purplemath.com/modules/orderops.htm

http://www.algebrahelp.com/lessons/simplifying/oops/

http://www.onlinemathlear...perations-worksheet.html

Originally Posted by justforkickz

NO ONE TEACHES MULTIPLCATION IS BEFORE DIVISION. YOU GUYS JUST DONT UNDERSTAND ORDER OF OPERATION. PEMDAS is ONLY a way to remember the orders of operations not a literal interpretation of how it is. NO CREDIBLE PERSON believes you MUST multiply before division you do what is FIRST.

Originally Posted by justforkickz

NO ONE TEACHES MULTIPLCATION IS BEFORE DIVISION. YOU GUYS JUST DONT UNDERSTAND ORDER OF OPERATION. PEMDAS is ONLY a way to remember the orders of operations not a literal interpretation of how it is. NO CREDIBLE PERSON believes you MUST multiply before division you do what is FIRST.

Back
Top Bottom