48÷2(9+3) = ???

Originally Posted by GRyPR33

Originally Posted by UnkleTomCruze

All that could be an error in programming though.
Why would the calculator come to a conclusion of 2 at all unless it was specifically programmed to do so??

Logically it makes no sense for that to happen unless 2 is the correct answer.

Geez you're hard headed (no diss)...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I am not disagreeing with you and/or refuting the fact that calc is coming up with an answer of 2. What I am saying is that it is doing so because it's not a "higher math" calculator.

Furthermore, because it's not a "higher math" calculator, it hasn't been programmed to follow the hierarchical system in the strictest sense, and this is what leads to problems.

Actually, in fact, what I should say is that it HAS been programmed to follow the hierarchical system in the strictest sense. And this is very problematic because in the PEMDAS and/or BODMAS system, M and D are on an equal playing field. Neither one has precedence and/or priority over the other. Older and lower mathimatical calculators don't recognize this fact, and that's why they'll produce 2 as an answer when you input the equation and the center of all this madness.

It's ok, I know you don't mean it that way
laugh.gif

This is actually a fun discussion
The TI series calculator in the OP also came up with an answer of 2 though.
I would think any calculator knows to work left to right as well.
If it's following PEMDAS, and reading left to right, 2 must be the right answer
THEY DONT EVEN MAKE TI-85S ANYMORE THEY ARE DISCONTINUED IN THE 90s. TI-86 WAS THE CALCULATOR AFTER THE TI-85 AND IS THE RIGHT WAY.

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I am not disagreeing with you and/or refuting the fact that calc is coming up with an answer of 2. What I am saying is that it is doing so because it's not a "higher math" calculator.

Furthermore, because it's not a "higher math" calculator, it hasn't been programmed to follow the hierarchical system in the strictest sense, and this is what leads to problems.

Actually, in fact, what I should say is that it HAS been programmed to follow the hierarchical system in the strictest sense. And this is very problematic because in the PEMDAS and/or BODMAS system, M and D are on an equal playing field. Neither one has precedence and/or priority over the other. Older and lower mathimatical calculators don't recognize this fact, and that's why they'll produce 2 as an answer when you input the equation and the center of all this madness.

laugh.gif

THEY DONT EVEN MAKE TI-85S ANYMORE THEY ARE DISCONTINUED. TI-86 WAS THE CALCULATOR AFTER THE TI-85 AND IS THE RIGHT WAY.

I CAN TYPE IN ALL CAPS TOO, YOU AREN'T REFUTING THE LOGIC NEEDED TO COME TO AN ANSWER OF 2

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

THEY DONT EVEN MAKE TI-85S ANYMORE THEY ARE DISCONTINUED. TI-86 WAS THE CALCULATOR AFTER THE TI-85 AND IS THE RIGHT WAY.

I CAN TYPE IN ALL CAPS TOO, YOU AREN'T REFUTING THE LOGIC NEEDED TO COME TO AN ANSWER OF 2

laugh.gif

What logic? I have posted pages on pages worth on information proving it is 288 break down how you solve the answer and get 2 and I will prove you wrong.

Originally Posted by TwoSickJays

So is it safe to say that 288'ers are trolls?
Trolls? How so? We're discussing this and in no way trolling at all.
Notice that people who thought the answer was 2 realize their errors and say it is in fact 288.
We're just trying to explain why it is this answer...

laugh.gif

What logic? I have posted pages on pages worth on information proving it is 288 break down how you solve the answer and get 2 and I will prove you wrong.

Originally Posted by TwoSickJays

So is it safe to say that 288'ers are trolls?
Trolls? How so? We're discussing this and in no way trolling at all.
Notice that people who thought the answer was 2 realize their errors and say it is in fact 288.
We're just trying to explain why it is this answer...

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

It can either be 288, 2, or 8.6666

Peep game:

If we are to abide by the order of operations straight out without taking into account the distributive property that comes into play with 2(9+3), the answer is 288.

48/2(9+3)=

Here we take care of the parenthesis, only. What's juxtaposed on the right or left doesn't matter.

48/2(12)=

Next, we are to divide, since it comes next in the order of operations.

24(12)=

We are to multiply here since it is the last step.

If I recall from middle school, we were taught order of operations before we were taught to distribute a monomial that was juxtaposed beside a parenthetical phrase. But since we are past that level of knowledge, we assume we should distribute, even though it was taught later. So, an algebra student who hasn't been exposed to distribution very well may get an answer of 288

If we are to use critical reasoning and include that knowledge that may or may not have been introduced after PEMDAS, we are immediately drawn to the monomial juxtaposed to the parenthetical. It was so paramount in algebra and trigonometry, since there was no way we could pass either if we couldn't distribute. So, taking the parenthetical and everything tied to it into account, the answer becomes different.

48/2(9+3)=

Here, we distribute the parenthesis and solve before moving on.

48/(18+6)=48/(24)

Next, we just divide outright, since it's all we can do.

There is however a third possible answer. If we are to distribute the parenthetical and not solve, since doing so would be addition, which comes later in the order of operations, we would get the following.

48/2(9+3)=

Everything is the same as the previous example in this step, however, once distribution occurs we are left with two monomials that are not joined by a parenthesis

48/18+6=

Now, if we are to follow the order of operations, we divide first and then add.

2.6666+6=

In theory, none of these answers are wrong, but it's a sure shot that someone who is just learning PEMDAS, will get 288, assuming they know nothing about distribution. Someone else who has already been exposed to the other method of distribution, will get 2. And those others who were taught that once unlike terms are distributed, the parenthesis is dissolved, will arrive at 8.6666

Any of these questions can be right, depending on both your learning history and how it is phrased on a test.
Can we please end this god-forsaken thread now?

Peep game:

If we are to abide by the order of operations straight out without taking into account the distributive property that comes into play with 2(9+3), the answer is 288.

48/2(9+3)=

Here we take care of the parenthesis, only. What's juxtaposed on the right or left doesn't matter.

48/2(12)=

24(12)=

If I recall from middle school, we were taught order of operations before we were taught to distribute a monomial that was juxtaposed beside a parenthetical phrase. But since we are past that level of knowledge, we assume we should distribute, even though it was taught later. So, an algebra student who hasn't been exposed to distribution very well may get an answer of 288

If we are to use critical reasoning and include that knowledge that may or may not have been introduced after PEMDAS, we are immediately drawn to the monomial juxtaposed to the parenthetical. It was so paramount in algebra and trigonometry, since there was no way we could pass either if we couldn't distribute. So, taking the parenthetical and everything tied to it into account, the answer becomes different.

48/2(9+3)=

48/(18+6)=48/(24)

There is however a third possible answer. If we are to distribute the parenthetical and not solve, since doing so would be addition, which comes later in the order of operations, we would get the following.

48/2(9+3)=

Everything is the same as the previous example in this step, however, once distribution occurs we are left with two monomials that are not joined by a parenthesis

48/18+6=

2.6666+6=

In theory, none of these answers are wrong, but it's a sure shot that someone who is just learning PEMDAS, will get 288, assuming they know nothing about distribution. Someone else who has already been exposed to the other method of distribution, will get 2. And those others who were taught that once unlike terms are distributed, the parenthesis is dissolved, will arrive at 8.6666

Any of these questions can be right, depending on both your learning history and how it is phrased on a test.

Peep game:

48/2(9+3)=

48/2(12)=

24(12)=

48/2(9+3)=

48/(18+6)=48/(24)

48/2(9+3)=

48/18+6=

2.6666+6=

YOU HAVE TO SIMPLIFY WHATS IN THE PARENTHESIS FIRST BEFORE YOU CAN DISTRIBUTE!

You're not right though.

And here it is on my Ti84
2i9i9kz.jpg

And on a lower end Ti30xIIs
fxf81e.jpg

usainboltisright wrote:

You're not right though.

And here it is on my Ti84
2i9i9kz.jpg

And on a lower end Ti30xIIs
fxf81e.jpg

usainboltisright wrote:

Peep game:

48/2(9+3)=

48/2(12)=

24(12)=

48/2(9+3)=

48/(18+6)=48/(24)

48/2(9+3)=

48/18+6=

2.6666+6=

YOU HAVE TO SIMPLIFY WHATS IN THE PARENTHESIS FIRST BEFORE YOU CAN DISTRIBUTE!

How am I not right when I listed all the possible answers?
laugh.gif

Also, this problem is highly ambiguous and will fall under those either/or questions if given on any standardized test.

How am I not right when I listed all the possible answers?
laugh.gif

Also, this problem is highly ambiguous and will fall under those either/or questions if given on any standardized test.

Back
Top Bottom