48÷2(9+3) = ???

I dont understand why people are multiplying the 2 with (9+3). You work with parenthesis first. 2 is not in the parenthesis. Writing 2(9+3) is the same as 2 x (9+3). Therefore after adding 9+3, you work from LEFT to RIGHT.

(9+3)=12
48/2=24
24 x 12 = 288.

Originally Posted by waystinthyme

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

Originally Posted by UnkleTomCruze

There is no need for the distributive property because that goes against the order of operations.

You need to tackle the parentheticl problem FIRST, which is 9+3.

By applying the distributive property, you're essentially ignoring the equation within the parenthesis...which you cannot do.

PEMDAS...P comes before Multiplication.

BODMAS...B (which stands for bracket) comes before Multiplication.

You can't just bypass the rules.

How does it go against the order of operations if that's how you take care of the parenthesis. The multiplication required to dissolve the parenthesis overrides the order of operations because it is a part of the parenthetical.

Your roommate is wrong. The answer is 2 (or 8.66667).
oh really? so you ignore the order of operations when you feel like it, but follow it at all other times? cool.

-waystinthyme

I dont think he fully understands the rule he is trying to apply.
2(9+3) is just 2 * (9+3) and I dont think he understands that. 

Since when did a number multiplied by a parentheses become part of the parenthetical?
Some of you guys did not pay attention in math class, it's only what is inside the parentheses, after that you're in the clear...

I dont understand why people are multiplying the 2 with (9+3). You work with parenthesis first. 2 is not in the parenthesis. Writing 2(9+3) is the same as 2 x (9+3). Therefore after adding 9+3, you work from LEFT to RIGHT.

(9+3)=12
48/2=24
24 x 12 = 288.

Since when did a number multiplied by a parentheses become part of the parenthetical?
Some of you guys did not pay attention in math class, it's only what is inside the parentheses, after that you're in the clear...

There is no need for the distributive property because that goes against the order of operations.

By applying the distributive property, you're essentially ignoring the equation within the parenthesis...which you cannot do.

How does it go against the order of operations if that's how you take care of the parenthesis. The multiplication required to dissolve the parenthesis overrides the order of operations because it is a part of the parenthetical.

oh really? so you ignore the order of operations when you feel like it, but follow it at all other times? cool.

-waystinthyme

Originally Posted by ncmalko1

48 divided by 12 equals 2.

eek.gif
Your math professor is a genius.

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

Originally Posted by akuratl02

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

im saying 2...i know the PHD, rocket scientist, and UCLA math whiz all say 288...but i think it's 2 based off how im interpreting they way the problem is written
But I'm sayin' though ....

How come everybody that states (2) has a grammar problem?

How are you going to call someone out for grammar when you apparently don't have a grasp on what the word 'grammar' even means? 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Rocky437

48/2(9+3)=
48/[2(9+3)]=
48/[18+6]=
48/24=

I know this is right. That 2 applies to the brackets. This is correct 100%. you must do the multiplication, then the addition. BEDMAS. = Brackets, Exponents, Divide, Multiply,Add, Subtract.
Get those brackets out of here. The NCAA tourney been over.
laugh.gif

I remember in grade 10 my teacher always threw those in. it makes it more clear. if you had math knowledge you would understand.
Well I'm here to bust yo brackets.

It's not in the OG problem.
laugh.gif
@ 8th grade algebra being "math knowledge".

Originally Posted by akuratl02

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

im saying 2...i know the PHD, rocket scientist, and UCLA math whiz all say 288...but i think it's 2 based off how im interpreting they way the problem is written
But I'm sayin' though ....

How come everybody that states (2) has a grammar problem?

How are you going to call someone out for grammar when you apparently don't have a grasp on what the word 'grammar' even means? 
laugh.gif

48/2(9+3)=
48/[2(9+3)]=
48/[18+6]=
48/24=

I know this is right. That 2 applies to the brackets. This is correct 100%. you must do the multiplication, then the addition. BEDMAS. = Brackets, Exponents, Divide, Multiply,Add, Subtract.
Get those brackets out of here. The NCAA tourney been over.
laugh.gif

I remember in grade 10 my teacher always threw those in. it makes it more clear. if you had math knowledge you would understand.
Well I'm here to bust yo brackets.

It's not in the OG problem.
laugh.gif
@ 8th grade algebra being "math knowledge".

Just had my math professor next door do this. Everything within and attached to the () are done first.
So its 2(9 plus 3)
2(12) equals 24

He said people think you do the 9 plus 3 and then read left to right but that's incorrect.
48 dived by 12 equals 4 just for the record.
And you didn't present the problem to him correctly or he didn't do it right. It is only within the (). Attached? Not in the case of this problem.

48 / 2(9 + 3) = 48 / (2 * 1(9 + 3))

One of you 288's tell me, if the above equation is true, would you be able to accept that 2 is the answer?
laugh.gif
That's not true though. The problem is 48 / 2(9+3) not 48 / (2(9+3)) or 48 / (2*1(9+3))
You can't just add in parentheses to change the answer of a problem.
If the problem were 48 / (2*1(9+3)) I would accept that 2 is the answer, because it IS the answer in that case.

Just had my math professor next door do this. Everything within and attached to the () are done first.
So its 2(9 plus 3)
2(12) equals 24

He said people think you do the 9 plus 3 and then read left to right but that's incorrect.
48 dived by 12 equals 4 just for the record.
And you didn't present the problem to him correctly or he didn't do it right. It is only within the (). Attached? Not in the case of this problem.

One of you 288's tell me, if the above equation is true, would you be able to accept that 2 is the answer?
laugh.gif
That's not true though. The problem is 48 / 2(9+3) not 48 / (2(9+3)) or 48 / (2*1(9+3))
You can't just add in parentheses to change the answer of a problem.
If the problem were 48 / (2*1(9+3)) I would accept that 2 is the answer, because it IS the answer in that case.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Ph.D?
laugh.gif

Where's the distributive property, though?

The way you're doing it the parentheses are still there by the time you start dividing. Just because you've solved what's in the parentheses doesn't mean it goes away. If there's a number attached to it, you have to distribute. It's not multiplication....it's distribution. If you can't differentiate the two, then it's no point arguing.

Ok, let's leave the parenthesis, even after solving what's in it. We are left with...

[h3]48÷2(12)[/h3]This equation ^^ is literally
[h3]48÷2x1(12)[/h3]
which is

[h3]48÷2x12[/h3]
You don't NEED to have the parenthesis there anymore around the 12.

And now you just solve the equation from left to right and you'll get 288.

Stop being hard-headed.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Ph.D?
laugh.gif

Where's the distributive property, though?

The way you're doing it the parentheses are still there by the time you start dividing. Just because you've solved what's in the parentheses doesn't mean it goes away. If there's a number attached to it, you have to distribute. It's not multiplication....it's distribution. If you can't differentiate the two, then it's no point arguing.

Ok, let's leave the parenthesis, even after solving what's in it. We are left with...

[h3]48÷2(12)[/h3]This equation ^^ is literally
[h3]48÷2x1(12)[/h3]
which is

[h3]48÷2x12[/h3]
You don't NEED to have the parenthesis there anymore around the 12.

And now you just solve the equation from left to right and you'll get 288.

Stop being hard-headed.

yes.

but the equation is not written this way. you added parthentheses...we solved the equation as it was originally written.

the answer would also be 2, IF the equation was written as 48/(2(9+3))...not sure why you continue to use this as your main argument, when neither of those are the original equation.

-waystinthyme

Originally Posted by OptimusADL

balloonoboy wrote:

UnkleTomCruze wrote:

-waystinthyme

I don't think you understand that there is an imaginary 1 in front (9+3). So it's 2 * 1(9+3). I don't think you understand.

Originally Posted by OptimusADL

balloonoboy wrote:

UnkleTomCruze wrote:

-waystinthyme

I don't think you understand that there is an imaginary 1 in front (9+3). So it's 2 * 1(9+3). I don't think you understand.

yes.

but the equation is not written this way. you added parthentheses...we solved the equation as it was originally written.

the answer would also be 2, IF the equation was written as 48/(2(9+3))...not sure why you continue to use this as your main argument, when neither of those are the original equation.

-waystinthyme

Back
Top Bottom